• 3 Post By bmbroker
  • 1 Post By MR_22
  • 1 Post By crossfire

Thread: Taurus 608

Member #
    Liked
    18 times

Taurus 608

I haven't been able to find too much about the Taurus 608 aside from a few mostly - low quality YouTube videos and word of mouth. I really want an 8 shot .357 but was wondering how people feel about this model. I heard of some transfer bar issues early on and I was hoping to see that rectified.

If I do end up going with one it will be a 3rd taurus gun in my house and so far I've enjoyed them all. There's not a lot of options for 8 shot. 357s and I do hope that the model I choose is a good one!
    silverstring and 777Driver like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2367 times
    I have the 608 and love it. It is heavy, especially when loaded. The trigger on mine was exceptional out of the box. This is compared to Rugers, Smith's, and Dan Wessons I own or have owned. The gun is as accurate as the aforementioned as well. You can sure pay more for other revolvers and not have any more gun, IMO. That, and the 8th round matches the capacity of most larger caliber autos, and it shoots two different calibers. What ain't to like?

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Hmm.. if I didnt want one before, I definitely do now lol

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    7838 times
    I have one as well.More of a range toy or a HEAVY nightstand gun.

I don't like heavy guns as much as I used to.
    Vengeance is mine sayeth the .45

Member #
    Liked
    981 times
    I have two 608's and my brother has one. We love them! They are awesome shooters! Even with .357-Magnum, the recoil isn't bad at all. My brother and I got matching wooden Hogue grips and they made these revolvers even more awesome! Mine is the one with a 8-3/8" barrel on the top and his is the bottom one with 6-1/2" barrel. I also have a 4" barrel not shown, which has the original grips.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    loudviking likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    105 times
    The M608 (and the earlier M607 and sibling M44) are among the best revolvers Taurus has ever made. The only "drawback" to them is that you cannot stage the trigger like a S&W or Colt; it requires a continuous smooth motion to operate properly. (One video that maligns the M608 for misfires has the shooter doing just that....operator error) While some are critical of the recoil porting, it makes the revolver much easier to handle with heavy loads and/or rapid fire. I own an M607 and an M608; both are customized. The actions have been polished but use stock springs and are equal to any S&W and better any Ruger. I have owned S&W and Ruger and even an Astra. They are all gone. Only my Dan Wessons (an M14-2 with a 3" EWK barrel and a .357 Maximum SuperMag) and my pair of Taurus large frames remain.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by crossfire; 08-06-2019 at 01:56 PM.
    loudviking likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I have the 4". Bought it because it was the most rounds I could get in a defensive revolver. It ain't fancy but it's a common sense choice for the home if you value revolvers at all. The only thing I don't like about it is that it's ported. It's not a big deal but I don't feel I need it because I don't load "full" magnums, just the medium velocity Golden Saber .357's which are equivalent to 9mm. Those are easy to handle in the big gun and still will do the job.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Wow thanks everyone for the input! I am planning on getting the 4" for range use, and as a possible truck gun and/or backpack. I don't necessarily mind the porting but I know some say it reduces velocity a lot. So far from what ive seen it doesn't seem to be a very significant loss of energy or velocity. Any input on that? Thanks again everyone!

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I bought a used 608 a few months ago, I believe it was made in '97. It is definitely not a "cheap" gun with very good fit and finish. I replaced the stock trigger and hammer springs with Wolff 10 lb. (both hammer and trigger), polished the interior, all of which dropped the DA trigger pull to just under 8 lb. and haven't had a misfire (reloads) in over 1000 rds. You can stage the trigger, but since it is an 8-shot, the staging is quick and easy to miss until you get use to it, especially if you are use to a 6-shot. the 6.5" barrel is a heavy gun since it is built with the same frame and cylinder as the .454 Raging Bull, but full load .357 Mag loads aren't going to phase it. I mostly use the gun for plate shooting with light 38 Spcl. loads. With the ports and the weight, there is almost no recoil.

Member #
    Liked
    105 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gchaconxiix View Post
    Wow thanks everyone for the input! I am planning on getting the 4" for range use, and as a possible truck gun and/or backpack. I don't necessarily mind the porting but I know some say it reduces velocity a lot. So far from what ive seen it doesn't seem to be a very significant loss of energy or velocity. Any input on that? Thanks again everyone!
    A ported 4" barrel will have approx. the same velocity as an unported 3" barrel. Velocity loss will depend on the ammo.

Sponsored Links