Shooting a double action revolver in single action
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Shooting a double action revolver in single action

Member #
    Liked
    788 times

Shooting a double action revolver in single action

My first revolver was a 70s era Taurus model 84 with a 4" barrel. I shot it pretty accurately in single action but not very well in double action. Since it was the largest and heaviest handgun I owned, I knew I would never carry it so I sold it. I then bought a very nice used Taurus 605 with a concealed (bobbed) hammer which made it a DAO. I shot it fair but bought a Charter Arms Pathfinder Target double action 22 so I could practice shooting a revolver double action. It improved my double action revolver accuracy a lot. Then, for no reason other than I just wanted it, I bought a new Taurus 856. I shoot it better when I shoot it double action than when I shoot it single action. I am most accurate with everything else when I shoot them single action which is similar to the accuracy of my 2 single action "cowboy" revolvers (Rough Rider and Ruger Single Six).

I wonder why I shoot the 856 better in double action with a 2" barrel (and it has been accurate for me since the first shot). My 856 has the best trigger of any revolver I have ever had.
    NativeTexan likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    30903 times
    If you describe how the 856's single action trigger feels to you, that might help. How does it compare to you Rough Rider or Single Six, for example?
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    788 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post
    If you describe how the 856's single action trigger feels to you, that might help. How does it compare to you Rough Rider or Single Six, for example?
    The single action is light and feels much like my other revolver triggers. This is the first revolver I have shot where I am more accurate when I shoot it double action.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    How about polishing up the Internals and try lighter springs before selling It off, I did this to my old M85
    double action pull was a night and day difference

Member #
    Liked
    30903 times
    Hmm. Are your groups bigger than with other pistols, or are they just shifted?

Are you using the same part of your finger? Single action is usually best with the first pad of the finger, but the difference in grip shape between the SA revolvers and the DA/SA might be causing some changes.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I would definitely check your finger/grip placement vs other guns.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    30638 times
    My 85 (older five shot 856) has one FANTASTIC DA and SA trigger. I shoot it mostly DA. It is a carry for me and I have plenty of round down the spout having originally bought it for carry in 1996 when I got my Texas CCW.

I think your hand placement/trigger finger placement is the culprit, but just an educated guess.
    MississippiYankee likes this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    1269 times
    Are you squeezing the trigger? Or squeezing the whole gun? IMHO, that is a big difference. Are you letting your wrist bend sideways with the trigger squeeze? Are you anticipating recoil and "pushing" the gun forward (and down)?

So much depends on whether you are "stageing" the trigger, preparing for it to break, or just making a single, long pull through until it goes off.
    You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be.
    ....................Kurt Vonnegut, in "Mother Night"

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. . . . . . . . . . . . .. — Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    30638 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash60601 View Post
    Are you squeezing the trigger? Or squeezing the whole gun? IMHO, that is a big difference. Are you letting your wrist bend sideways with the trigger squeeze? Are you anticipating recoil and "pushing" the gun forward (and down)?

So much depends on whether you are "stageing" the trigger, preparing for it to break, or just making a single, long pull through until it goes off.
    Good post. I'm not real sure about his gun, but my 85 is so smooth and light in DA, it's hard to stage a shot with it. It doesn't have that little hitch at the end of travel as most DA guns do. That's a good thing for self defense uses IMHO. The little toot in SA is light and crisp and I've braced on a tree and shot a coyote at 60 yards with the thing before. Takes a little hold over at that range, but it gives one an idea of the true potential of this little gun at range. I've practiced in the past on a 14" gong at 100 yards at the range and that gong was NOT safe. I shot roll over prone at it and could ring it 3 of 5 when I was shooting well. Don't ever let anyone tell ya a snubby is just a "belly gun". It can do so much more if it has to. True, if I were coyote hunting, I'd use my AR, but it don't fit in my pocket and ain't handy when one shows itself hungry, looking for a chicken.
    slong115 and GhostHorse like this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    788 times
    I don't think some of you understand what I was trying to say. My 856 has a very nice and smooth trigger in both SA and DA. My 856 accuracy in SA is similar to the SA revolvers and my SA/DA revolvers in SA. Prior to the 856, all of my SA/DA revolvers have been more accurate when I shoot them SA rather than DA. The 856 is the first revolver I have shot that I shoot better in DA than in SA. It is a good "problem" to have but I just wonder why.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links