Got to ask a silly question
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By chefduane

Thread: Got to ask a silly question

Member #
    Liked
    24 times

Got to ask a silly question

So its obviously pool season and I was wondering if this is something to be concerned with. This might sound stupid but I'm concerned about indirect contact with chlorine water and my firearm. Such as after swimming when I dry off should I be concerned with the dryed chlorine on my skin or on any artical of clothing that could have gotten wet with pool water but now dryed?

Member #
    Liked
    4693 times
    Hmmm.. I don't think so. We built our house 25 years ago and put an in-ground pool and spa in. Been getting in it regularly then drying off and then carrying when I go run errands. No damage no any of my guns finishes. As long as you don't expose the gun directly to water (or go swmming with it) I think you should be ok.

But have it handy though!!

777Driver and Sekol like this.
    Taurus PT111G2 - Ruger LCPII - Charter Arms Undercover .38 Spc - Mossberg Mav88 Pistol Grip - Mossberg 715T - Charles Daly Superior 12g O/U Trap - Heritage Rough Rider .22LR/WMR - Henry Classic Lever H001 .22LR - Phoenix HP22LR - NAA .22WMR Mini-Revolver w/ Pocket Clip Holster - GSG 1911-22 - H&R Young American .32 Safety Hammer NF (circa 1890)

USCG '77-'83 Semper Paratus - CGC Point Evans WPB82376 - MSO LA/LB SaR & Drug Interdiction Response Team

NRA / Tx LTC

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    18548 times
    I would NOT let the chlorine water come into contact with my gun. Keep it nearby wrapped in a towel but wouldn’t stick it in your waistband.

So relieved. Thought you were gonna ask the old “should I carry my gun in my swimming trunks. No, what if it slipped and made itself around back . . . .”
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

“Violent crime is feasible only when it’s victims are cowards. A victim who fights back makes the whole business impractical. - Col Jeff Cooper

With over 200 million firearms in private possession, in addition to a collective ammo round count of over a trillion rounds, it should be obvious that we in the firearm community and culture are NOT the problem!

Governments don’t create human rights; they either recognize them or suppress them

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    18774 times
    Deleted.
    Last edited by TrucksNCoffee; Today at 02:29 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    30680 times
    Federal regulations like DOT classify chlorine as a corrosive. That means it can corrode stainless steel. Even some kitchen cleaning guides warn against bleach (which of course contains chlorine) and stainless. I can't imagine carbon steel would fare better. I'd be very careful to rinse any chlorine residue of my skin and change clothes before strapping a gun back on.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    30680 times
    As for chlorinated brake cleaner, here is one reference to the dangers of using it on guns:

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...gerous.545442/

Researching this question, I see lots of people specifying chlorine-free brake cleaner. There are two reasons. One is the potential health effects of chlorinated brake cleaners, and the other is that chlorine isn't kind to metal. In addition to general corrosion, it can lead to or greatly accelerate stress cracking. Those are not ideas I'm happy about for firearms.

https://www.corrosionpedia.com/defin...-cracking-cscc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stress_corrosion_cracking

Having read all this, I'd use brake cleaner before cerakoting a gun, but otherwise, it's overkill. If you want to get all of the lubricants/protective oils out, go for it.

To bring this back to the OP's question, I'd still say rinse the skin, and change/wash the clothes that were exposed to chlorine. Maybe the levels involved are too low to do much, but in a world where people will go on for pages and pages about whether CLP is better than synthetic motor oil or similar questions, underplaying the possible risks of chlorine near metal seems unwise to me. YMMV.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    32751 times
    Unless the pool was filled from a natural source like a pond or creek, I'd be more concerned about the flouride than the chlorine. Flouride is used to chemically etch or pickle (deep clean) metal.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Criminal's lives DON'T matter!

I miss my 286.

#Neverwarren

Sponsored Links