Need Recommendations on 357 magnum revolver - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Need Recommendations on 357 magnum revolver

Member #
    Liked
    67 times
    I'm biased towards a S&W 19 or... better yet a pre lock Smith 66...which was my issued service revolver when I was on the job. I have a pre lock 686 and a Taurus 65... the 65 is an excellent gun. I'm set on 4" for. 357.
    loudviking and slong115 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ? Marquis View Post
    I'm biased towards a S&W 19 or... better yet a pre lock Smith 66...which was my issued service revolver when I was on the job. I have a pre lock 686 and a Taurus 65... the 65 is an excellent gun. I'm set on 4" for. 357.
    The nicest and perhaps highest quality revolver I have is a 1980 S&W 66-1 with a 6" barrel (SS, pinned and recessed). https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/o...ed-keeper.html They are now referred to as the "Combat Magnums". Newer ones are so marked, mine is not. I do have to say tho, that my Taurus 66 SS, 4" barrel IS my favorite revolver! (If the Smith had a 4" barrel, it would be my favorite but alas, it doesn't .)
    Like others have said, all of the suggested revolvers would likely meet the needs of the OP. I think that he made a fine choice (in spite of all of our suggestions .)
    Flex
    "A man has got to know his limitations." HC

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    30890 times
    Thing I've got against K frames is the flat spot in the forcing cone. I had one crack while shooting at the range, never trusted it after that.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4158 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NativeTexan View Post
    Thing I've got against K frames is the flat spot in the forcing cone. I had one crack while shooting at the range, never trusted it after that.
    The forcing cones on the new mode 66 and 19 have been redesigned to address that issue

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    30890 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    The forcing cones on the new mode 66 and 19 have been redesigned to address that issue
    But, everyone says you gotta have an old one. The new ones are junk.

Now, that's what "they say". I wouldn't pass judgment on the new K frames unless and until I owned one for a while. I know they're not put together like they used to be, have to use cheap methods to compete with the Rugers and the Tauri. Pinned and recessed don't exist anymore. But, I ain't stuck on the old ways if the new ways work.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    16458 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Specter View Post
    Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I finally made a purchase. I purchased a lightly used S&W 686 plus pro from my gun dealer last night. I'll be picking it up Monday. Got a deal on it ( Paid $525) so still am going to look for a pre lock 66
    Good choice. I had a 6 inch barreled 686 until recently. I used it in a trade for a Sig P220. I was going to recommend a Taurus 692 with 3 inch barrel, but I think you have chosen wisely.
    Children, pets, and slaves get taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

When Democracy turns to Tyranny

I still plan to vote.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    20839 times
    Or something Like my matched set of consecutively numbered Taylors.....

Name:  Taylor Runnin' Iorn's 002.JPG
Views: 44
Size:  3.54 MB
    "Guns are a lot like parachutes ~ If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

The problems we face today are there because the people
    who work for a living are out numbered by the people that vote for a living

"No man who refuses to bear arms can give sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" Teddy Roosevelt

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2721 times
    The materials they use are much better, but fit in finish has been sacrificed.

Maloy

Quote Originally Posted by NativeTexan View Post
    But, everyone says you gotta have an old one. The new ones are junk.

Now, that's what "they say". I wouldn't pass judgment on the new K frames unless and until I owned one for a while. I know they're not put together like they used to be, have to use cheap methods to compete with the Rugers and the Tauri. Pinned and recessed don't exist anymore. But, I ain't stuck on the old ways if the new ways work.
    NativeTexan likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    A Tracker 692 might be a good choice for you, a little more compact and a little more versatile with the extra cylinder. For outdoor use like you mention, trap line, I like SS because it is more rust resistant.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Ruger GP100. Built like a tank. Besides you can change out the front sights in a few minutes if you want a hi-viz or meprolight night sight, 4" mostly. Light weight go for a 627 4". Ported for the shortcomings of a lightweight revolver. I own both and can't decide which is better. I guess if I had to carry it all day I would lean more to the 627. Oh by the way you can also put a hi-viz {S&W} front sight on it too. Opticplanet had the meprolights on sale. I bought both the full set for the Ruger, and the front only for my 627. So far we are stuck with Taurus rear sights, nobody makes a replacement rear. After a nice conversation with Meprolight there are not currently in the market to produce any. I offered to to test them out for free, no takers though. I did explain to him that they are missing out on the thousands of Taurus owners looking for a night sight setup. I guess we will have to wait and see if the light-bulb goes off and they decide to built some. {I wonder if I can get a finders fee}

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Sponsored Links