I need some advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: I need some advice

Member #
    Liked
    26 times

I need some advice

So I had recently had my model 82 refinished at my local gunsmith. The gentleman did a great job with it. It couldn't have been done better. The only issue I had is when I picked it up and when I got home. The whole shop was filled with cigarette smoke. The case I brought it in had foam inserts that were completely destroyed. I believe the rest of the firearm smells like this too. What could I do to get rid of the smell? Can steel smell like cigarette smoke ?
    Kevin Keith likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    11406 times
    Maybe try using some frog lube on the outside finish - it has a strong wintergreen smell. Never tried this , but maybe spray some febreeze on a rag and carefully wipe it down and let dry. but worried about finish discoloring. Eventually just wiping it down with gun oil or clp should get rid of that stale smoky smell. Good luck.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Member #
    Liked
    166 times
    If the foam is destroyed then toss it and order some new foam. Unless it was a cheap case, in which case, get a new case. Hahaha I don't imagine the gun itself will stink of cigarettes. If so, I am partial to the smell of Hoppes cleaner.
    Kevin Keith likes this.
    "The strongest tactical move is always the one in which you reap the highest gain, at the lowest cost."

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33563 times
    I think I'd shoot 50-100 rounds in it, then clean as usual. That outta do it.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Member #
    Liked
    32204 times
    Can't see a smell coming from the steel after the procedure Smokewagon suggested. And I'd think he'd know, being Smokewagon.

Now, some odor might have been absorbed by the grips, if they are at all porous. Try dusting them with baking soda, putting them in a baggie with more baking soda, and waiting a few days. Rinse, sniff, repeat if necessary.

And get a new gunsmith. Sheesh.
    silverstring likes this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    1707 times
    Just wipe down the gun with some "G-96" gun oil. It smells nice and will definitely get rid of any other smell the gun itself might have.

As for the foam inserts in the box, just run over to Ollies or some other "sells anythihg" store, grab some new foam and cut it to suit.
    You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be.
    ....................Kurt Vonnegut, in "Mother Night"

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. . . . . . . . . . . . .. — Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2798 times
    I think you can wash foam without damaging it (unless it is the real cheap stuff). Hand wash it with a very small amount of dish soap, then rinse it thoroughly and let it dry.

Alternately, you can send the whole lot to me and I guarantee I will get the smoke smell out of your house. You won't even need to pay return postage.
    GreenWolf70 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    7575 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post
    Can't see a smell coming from the steel after the procedure Smokewagon suggested. And I'd think he'd know, being Smokewagon.

Now, some odor might have been absorbed by the grips, if they are at all porous. Try dusting them with baking soda, putting them in a baggie with more baking soda, and waiting a few days. Rinse, sniff, repeat if necessary.

And get a new gunsmith. Sheesh.
    Good gunsmiths are hard to find, I wouldn't write one off for smoking. (I am a nonsmoker)
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Ben Franklin

"I think our governments will remain virtuous for many centuries; as long as
    they are chiefly agricultural; and this will be as long as there shall be vacant
    lands in any part of America. When they get piled upon one another in large
    cities, as in Europe, they will become corrupt as in Europe."
    Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, December 20, 1787

Member #
    Liked
    1070 times
    Well, start smoking two pack a day and it will go away.
    The foam is history. Degrease and clean the nicotine off all the hard surfaces. Alcohol lifts nicotine as well. Oil and wipe down to lift off any nicotine you missed on wood and porous surfaces .
    A little wild turkey will lift some of this off you while your cleaning

Member #
    Liked
    554 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimbly View Post
    If the foam is destroyed then toss it and order some new foam. Unless it was a cheap case, in which case, get a new case. Hahaha I don't imagine the gun itself will stink of cigarettes. If so, I am partial to the smell of Hoppes cleaner.
    That's what I was gonna say! Then wipe it down with the Hoppes for that ripe banana smell. That's what I get from Hoppes anyway...bananas. Bananas, mmm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links