Taurus 856
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Taurus 856

Member #
    Liked
    136 times

Taurus 856

Looking to pick up a new Taurus 856 for concealed carry this week (2 days actually) and would like to know some info and tips on concealed carrying one either iwb, owb, and some pocket carry. Is there a big difference in this and a semi auto. I have carried semi autos for years but never a revolver. Recently I was at work (I work alone, security) and I went outside to check around the area and came face to face with a rather obnoxious and unafraid coyote. He snarled and growled at me and started pacing towards me. I was too far from any cover or building to get away so I drew my pocket 380 (lcp) and fired at him, I missed but he took the hint and ran off. It was after I got back in the building and took my lcp from my pocket that i noticed my slide was about 95% in battery, in other words, if that shot had not scared him off and he would have attacked me, I would not have been able to fire again in time, or with out clearing the malfunction. This has made me start questioning how much trust I put into semi autos and while they might hold more rounds (larger ones that is) you are only really gonna get that first round for sure, revolvers are much less prone (to my understanding) to failures like this.

So all in all, how is carrying a revolver different? Does the cylinder cause problems or discomfort when iwb or pocket carried? Issues with owb carry (printing aside, Im in KY and no one really cares here, plus no laws against it).

Thanks all for the info

Member #
    Liked
    3561 times
    I love revolvers. I carry them often. I carry IWB in an Alien Gear or OWB in a Tagua holster. I don't find any difference in how they carry over the whole day. A .38 sp will change a coyotes disposition quickly. We had a 856 come through the shop recently and I really liked it.
    Live what you say you believe.

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gstone80 View Post
    Looking to pick up a new Taurus 856 for concealed carry this week (2 days actually) and would like to know some info and tips on concealed carrying one either iwb, owb, and some pocket carry. Is there a big difference in this and a semi auto. I have carried semi autos for years but never a revolver. Recently I was at work (I work alone, security) and I went outside to check around the area and came face to face with a rather obnoxious and unafraid coyote. He snarled and growled at me and started pacing towards me. I was too far from any cover or building to get away so I drew my pocket 380 (lcp) and fired at him, I missed but he took the hint and ran off. It was after I got back in the building and took my lcp from my pocket that i noticed my slide was about 95% in battery, in other words, if that shot had not scared him off and he would have attacked me, I would not have been able to fire again in time, or with out clearing the malfunction. This has made me start questioning how much trust I put into semi autos and while they might hold more rounds (larger ones that is) you are only really gonna get that first round for sure, revolvers are much less prone (to my understanding) to failures like this.

So all in all, how is carrying a revolver different? Does the cylinder cause problems or discomfort when iwb or pocket carried? Issues with owb carry (printing aside, Im in KY and no one really cares here, plus no laws against it).

Thanks all for the info
    I have a Taurus 605 SS which is the same size as the 856 and have no problem carrying it in the pocket. You won't even know you're carrying if you go OWB. IWB is a personal thing for everyone based on body build and weight. Not for me at all and never has been. With you working alone in security, sounds like you could have a rifle strapped on your shoulder and it wouldn't make any difference.

The cylinder is 1.4" thick so there will be a little more printing there but it'll be more YOU noticing it than someone else. Length and height is fine. How the pockets are cut in different pants for size and pocket depth will be something you need to experiment with. Lets face it, compared to a lcp in size and weight ANY gun is going to feel huge until you get used to it. With OWB carry you at least won't have to buy larger waist size pants for more comfort and feel like something is digging into your appendix or pelvis all day or night. Many get used to it and have no problem. Not moi.

I think you made a fine choice with the 856 and will love it.

Your next responsibility will be a range report.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    I'm not much of an Iwb guy any way. Plan on mainly Owb or pocket carry. Iwb with even a single stack 9mm hurts after about an hour. Been using a Winthrop Owb for my G2c and love it

Member #
    Liked
    30864 times
    Nothing pocket carries like a TCP. You said it was 95% in battery. When that happens, the vast majority of the time a slap on the end of the slide is all you need to get it ready. Also, were you using a pocket holster? When was it last lubricated? Semiautos that just get stuck bare in a pocket lead a hard life. A holster really helps. Without a holster, I'd clean and lube a pocket semi every week. With a holster, you may be able to double that or more. But you should practice regularly, and the first thing you should do when you get to the range is pull your carry gun and empty the mag/cylinder. That will tell you if your carry gun likes how you're treating it.

Now, an OWB 856 is a great choice. Really great; reliable, you get the option of shooting DA or thumb cocking for SA, good accuracy, and a ton of projectile choices. Tough to go wrong. But the DA stroke takes some practice to master (dry firing with snap caps is the ticket), and it is bulkier than a TCP, no question. But certainly not too much so, or the Detective Special wouldn't have been made for decades. One other aspect of carrying a revolver is the reload. Ten minutes work with a semi, and you're far, far faster than most people will be reloading a revolver. But you can get to be almost as fast if you work at it, especially with the slap-it-in-and-your'e-done speedloaders. The rubber strips are slower, but much easier to carry/conceal.
    vboy36 and Buckeye! like this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post
    Nothing pocket carries like a TCP. You said it was 95% in battery. When that happens, the vast majority of the time a slap on the end of the slide is all you need to get it ready. Also, were you using a pocket holster? When was it last lubricated? Semiautos that just get stuck bare in a pocket lead a hard life. A holster really helps. Without a holster, I'd clean and lube a pocket semi every week. With a holster, you may be able to double that or more. But you should practice regularly, and the first thing you should do when you get to the range is pull your carry gun and empty the mag/cylinder. That will tell you if your carry gun likes how you're treating it.

Now, an OWB 856 is a great choice. Really great; reliable, you get the option of shooting DA or thumb cocking for SA, good accuracy, and a ton of projectile choices. Tough to go wrong. But the DA stroke takes some practice to master (dry firing with snap caps is the ticket), and it is bulkier than a TCP, no question. But certainly not too much so, or the Detective Special wouldn't have been made for decades. One other aspect of carrying a revolver is the reload. Ten minutes work with a semi, and you're far, far faster than most people will be reloading a revolver. But you can get to be almost as fast if you work at it, especially with the slap-it-in-and-your'e-done speedloaders. The rubber strips are slower, but much easier to carry/conceal.
    I never carry any gun without a holster. I carry my 380, which is a Lcp, in a kydex pocket holster most of the time. The issue I had was that I didnt realize it was out of battery and if i would have needed to fire again in a hurry, i might not have been able or had the time to smack it back into battery. As to cleaning and lubricating my guns, I'm a stickler for a clean weapon, if I fire 1 round, it gets cleaned. I shoot mostly every week, even if its just a couple mags, and always clean and lube my gun. During the summer when its hot and humid, I will wipe them down with oil wipes after each day, keeps the rust down. I'm pretty sure it was me that caused the out of battery, more then likely from limp wristing it because when I realized it was advancing on me i just drew and fired one handed, mainly intending to scare it away, I didnt really want to kill it or worse yet wound the thing and it take days to die from the shot. I wont shoot anything unless I absolutely have to. However, if, it would have continued to advance on me and I needed to fire again, by the time i realized the gun was out of battery I might have been lying in a bloody mess, Imagine if that was person intent on harming me, thats what got me to considering the 38sp.
    slong115 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    Ohh second question for everyone out there, what holsters will fit the 856. I would like a nice close riding owb holster that doesnt break the bank, cant afford some of those holsters that are 60+ dollars. So far I have found a Fobus paddle holster for a Ruger Lcr that is confirmed to fit (MrGunsnGear video)
    Buckeye! likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    141 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gstone80 View Post
    Been a while since it's been cleaned and lubed?

I had my LCP out for the first time in a long time a couple weeks ago. I noticed the same problem -- problems cycling. I figure a good clean and lube will probably fix that.

Thanks all for the info
    Carrying a snub is not a problem. The cylinder does not cause discomfort.

As usual, Your Mileage May Vary, and you have to find a holster and carry method that work for you.

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post
    Been a while since it's been cleaned and lubed?

I had my LCP out for the first time in a long time a couple weeks ago. I noticed the same problem -- problems cycling. I figure a good clean and lube will probably fix that.

Carrying a snub is not a problem. The cylinder does not cause discomfort.

As usual, Your Mileage May Vary, and you have to find a holster and carry method that work for you.
    My guns are always clean and lubed, it was cleaned and oiled last week, so been about maybe 8 days since. I always keep a close check on that. Ask my wife, she says if I would clean the house like I clean my guns she could just sit around all day and do nothing I honestly think I may have been me that caused it, but it also could have been the ammo or the mag, who knows, its never had an issue at the range as long as I used brass ammo, hated the steel Tula stuff though, jam city (range use only, I carry Hornady Xtp rounds in it).

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Iluvrevos View Post
    I have a Taurus 605 SS which is the same size as the 856 and have no problem carrying it in the pocket. You won't even know you're carrying if you go OWB. IWB is a personal thing for everyone based on body build and weight. Not for me at all and never has been. With you working alone in security, sounds like you could have a rifle strapped on your shoulder and it wouldn't make any difference.

The cylinder is 1.4" thick so there will be a little more printing there but it'll be more YOU noticing it than someone else. Length and height is fine. How the pockets are cut in different pants for size and pocket depth will be something you need to experiment with. Lets face it, compared to a lcp in size and weight ANY gun is going to feel huge until you get used to it. With OWB carry you at least won't have to buy larger waist size pants for more comfort and feel like something is digging into your appendix or pelvis all day or night. Many get used to it and have no problem. Not moi.

I think you made a fine choice with the 856 and will love it.

Your next responsibility will be a range report.
    I went by Rural King today and picked up their last 856, glad I got there when I did or I would have missed out. They had it on sale for 249.99. Also picked up a box of Sig V-Crown 125gr +p Jhp rounds. That was literally the only jhp ammo they had in stock for 38sp, not much else for other calibers, that (Sig) and Critical Defense was about it. Should do for now though, ive ran it in 9mm and it did pretty good. I am hoping to get to the range either tomorrow or friday and I will report back. Heres a little pic, isnt she purrty
    Name:  IMG_20190626_222806706.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  2.19 MB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links