605 ss
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 605 ss

Member #
    Liked
    17 times

605 ss

Some time ago, with great enthusiam I posted up about my brand new 605SS. I waxed on about getting it home and the first cleaning, my anticipation for the first range visit. After that first trip to the range the honeymoon was over. Using 158gr FMJ target rounds in .38 spl. my groups weren't quite what I expected, in fact my wife was out shooting me with her RG38, which this was supposed to retire. So, needless to say she wasn't impressed and I was a bit dissapointed. Cleaning afterwards revealed some serious pitting in the bore. Disappointment turned into disgust. My new 605 SS became a safe queen. I read of some peoples problems with Taurus USA and poor customer service and all but gave up on it. Better sense prevailed so I contacted CS via email. I wasn't getting anywhere then I tried chat on their website. Pesto, I was chatting with a rep. Explained the bore being pitted however she didn't quite grasp the problem, can I send a photo? Heck yeah I can and sent the one shown. OK, how many rounds, what ammo etc. This moved me to a supervisor and the whole process started over. I was again bumped up the food chain, starting over yet again. By now I'm thinking "are they hoping I'll just give up?" Then I got a return shipping label. Off it goes to the mother ship, I'm monitoring the progress via the website. For two weeks the status didn't change, "Awaiting Service" or something like that. Suddenly, it showed returned to customer. In a couple days it returned, a new barrel was fitted. Now, no note explaining what or why. And here's something else. While photos don't clearly show the difference, the replaced barrel looks as if was Cerakoated, not a true SS barrel. Different roll stamps, and the only one on the new barrel is .357 Mag, on the bottom and looks to be filled by the Cerakote. I guess that's "good enough". OK, bottom line, CS did their job, got the snubbie home, repaired and returned in a timely fashion. My cost, nothing but a couple weeks and some patience with the process. Subsequent trips to the range and it's shooting as one would expect a snubbie to. I'm past the miss-matched look and it now gets frequent outings. Yesterdays outing was enjoyable, nobody even noticed the difference from barrel to frame.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Member #
    Liked
    141 times
    Quote Originally Posted by farquward View Post
    Some time ago, with great enthusiam I posted up about my brand new 605SS. I waxed on about getting it home and the first cleaning, my anticipation for the first range visit. After that first trip to the range the honeymoon was over. Using 158gr FMJ target rounds in .38 spl. my groups weren't quite what I expected, in fact my wife was out shooting me with her RG38, which this was supposed to retire. So, needless to say she wasn't impressed and I was a bit dissapointed. Cleaning afterwards revealed some serious pitting in the bore. Disappointment turned into disgust. My new 605 SS became a safe queen. I read of some peoples problems with Taurus USA and poor customer service and all but gave up on it. Better sense prevailed so I contacted CS via email. I wasn't getting anywhere then I tried chat on their website. Pesto, I was chatting with a rep. Explained the bore being pitted however she didn't quite grasp the problem, can I send a photo? Heck yeah I can and sent the one shown. OK, how many rounds, what ammo etc. This moved me to a supervisor and the whole process started over. I was again bumped up the food chain, starting over yet again. By now I'm thinking "are they hoping I'll just give up?" Then I got a return shipping label. Off it goes to the mother ship, I'm monitoring the progress via the website. For two weeks the status didn't change, "Awaiting Service" or something like that. Suddenly, it showed returned to customer. .
    Meanwhile, I'm about 2 months into waiting on S&W to turn around my 642. tick tick tick.

Back when I had my Charter Arms, two weeks was the typical turnaround with them. Ditto, the couple times I've had to send in my Springfield XD or XDS.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    10885 times
    Wow, that was a nasty barrel. Glad they fixed it, too bad the finish didn't match. My 605 has been great for me, lucky for me, my barrel looks like it should. I bet Taurus changed the bead blast process since you bought yours, or at least I hope it is bead blast and not some cheapo applied finish. Never know about them Taurus dorks.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    30588 times
    Jeez, I've owned several dozen handguns, not all of them "quality" brands, and I've NEVER had to send one back! You guys act like this is normal even for Smith and Wesson. I mean I can understand the occasional firearm, but I've YET to send one back. I've gotten parts to install, an extractor on my Kel Tec and a mag release return spring on my Ruger P90 come to mind. Oh, and there was the retaining screw on the ejector rod housing on my Heritage. I guess if I hadn't been able to do it myself, those would have gone back. Never got a firearm with a barrel THAT nasty, though. Eeewww, that was pretty awful. Glad Taurus took care of it for you.
    Trotline likes this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    6454 times
    I'm puzzled.

You talk about first cleaning the gun, then taking it to the range, then how pitted the barrel was AFTER the range trip.

Was it the ammunition that did that to the bore?
    Most stereotypes come from how you treated the last person who didn't know you.

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Native Texan, I do not consider this normal or acceptable.

230JHP, This is after the first range trip, the bore didn't look like this when purchased. As to the what/why, I am in the dark as Taurus USA didn't offer any explanation.

Member #
    Liked
    738 times
    The real question...How does your wife like the new barrel? With the photo I can barely tell any difference. And besides...your gun now has a story which makes it kind of fun. Glad you got it back and you're out shooting!
    The Christian Faith: We are not called to solve the Mystery, but to enter into it. - C. Mallouhi (author)

Member #
    Liked
    3333 times
    Of all brands , Ruger has been my "lemon " winner ... 5 revolvers .. 3 being SP101's in 357mag .., unacceptable tooling marks on one, poor fit on crane assemblies on two ... same problem on a new GP100 and a Black hawk 45Colt that had inconsistent sized cylinder bores ..( I like LCR's)
    I had a M85 that had a oblong shaped cylinder... that I didn't accept at a LGS that the transfer was coming through..

Charter is my favorite revovler maker ... They Simply Work ... I already know what to expect from a Charter .. light , small .. fit and finish ..not great ..... But as Geraldine (Flip Wilson) would say ... " What you see , is what you get " !!!!
    Great CS ...
    But Taurus is my second pick ..
    Taurus Family
    TCP
    Heritage 22/22 Mag

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    30588 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye! View Post
    Of all brands , Ruger has been my "lemon " winner ... 5 revolvers .. 3 being SP101's in 357mag .., unacceptable tooling marks on one, poor fit on crane assemblies on two ... same problem on a new GP100 and a Black hawk 45Colt that had inconsistent sized cylinder bores ..( I like LCR's)
    I had a M85 that had a oblong shaped cylinder... that I didn't accept at a LGS that the transfer was coming through..

Charter is my favorite revovler maker ... They Simply Work ... I already know what to expect from a Charter .. light , small .. fit and finish ..not great ..... But as Geraldine (Flip Wilson) would say ... " What you see , is what you get " !!!!
    Great CS ...
    But Taurus is my second pick ..
    From what I gather, the .45 Blackhawks have this problem more often than not. My .45 colt Blackhawk was bought used and it shoots like a laser with 255 lead cast or 300 grain Hornady XTP. Either I got lucky or the previous owner had the gun worked over. It's a honey, though.

Out of 10 Ruger handguns, I had two duds. No, despite popular opinion, Rugers can be flawed. I had a Security Six whose accuracy with .38s was totally unacceptable. I had a P95 that would jam once or sometimes twice out of 100 rounds and you could never tell when and I could never figure out why. I traded it in on a Taurus M85SSUL that I have today and carry often.

Overall, I'm a Ruger fanboy, but you're right, even with Ruger, it happens.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    4620 times
    I'm 51 years old and have owned a bunch of different guns both high end and bargain basement. I just had to send my first one back for repair ever, Ruger LCP 10th Anniversary. The total time was 9 calendar days back in my hands.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links