Taurus 692: a short range report.
Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By maloy
  • 1 Post By silverstring

Thread: Taurus 692: a short range report.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3093 times

Thumbs up Taurus 692: a short range report.

Well I tried out my black oxided 692.

First, the finish, the black oxide is pretty dark and it appears Taurus glass blasted the outside prior to doing the black oxide. From a manufacturing stand point, glass blasting or a pickling process opens the ferrite structure up for a more even black oxide. It is a cheaper process to guarantee even blackening and usually involves safer chemicals than the older bluing process. So if you are looking for a beautiful finish, this isn't it. It is closer to a flat black Cerakote. There are some issues as inside the chambers it. is a little crusty and wasn't wiped down well. Nothing a 10mm/.40 cal stainless brush, a little oil, and an electric drill can't fix.

The metal fit of the side plate is fairly good, trigger face is smooth and perfect for double action use. The the hammer has a wide spur and checkered nice and sharp. The barrel is the usual porting on the outside like a 627. There isn't an expansion chamber like some of the 6.5” barrel 627's. It is directly into the bore with the rifling. This gave me a little bit of concern with lead cast bullets being shaved on the ports, but more on that later. The muzzle is recessed about an 1/8” and comes to a near sharp corner with very little chamfer to the bore. This isn't a bad design and looks like it will protect it well from hard use. The front sight is the usual orange insert blade. The rear sight is a fully adjustable black partridge style target sight. If you follow the basics and concentrate on the front sight, it works well up close and out past 30 yards.

Now the single action trigger is nothing to write home for. It is a little long on engagement and with a little creep. I don't really like it because it is a little heavy around 6lbs. It has the positive hook on the sear that a lot of manufacturers are doing so you don't hurt yourself or accidentally shoot it. So it is what I would call the industry standard. Still way better than those who consider the Glock as acceptable. I could probably make a good shot past 50yds with it. Heavy triggers are not a problem if the engagement is short and smooth. I've this on a S&W 625-8, but people will swear it feels like 3lbs.

Double action was what I consider acceptable out of the box. I could make sub 4” groups at 10 yards right out of the box. After a bit, they got down to 3” or less. It smoothed up a bit with more shooting and feels like it will break in nicely.

I put nearly 250 rounds of mixed .357 and .38 ammo down range. More than half of those rounds were lead cast. Accuracy was typical of what you find with the 66 or 627. In short, it will shoot within your capabilities offhand. From the bench off a V-sand block it grouped as well and any other quality .357.

I only put about 98 rounds of 9mm down range. Accuracy with 9mm was on par with .357 and .38's. The full moon clips are not what I'd call great. There isn't much hardness to them, they are thin and while I didn't have calipers with me, they are less than a 1/32”(.03125”) thick. They can be easily distorted. So some care is needed when you remove the empty cases. I bent one unloading it and was able to straighten it out. Also the fingers are easily bent and you can have cases/cartridges fall out. Again, I was able to fix with the fingernail of my index finger. For CCW, I'd be worry of one of these bending in my pocket. The little 5 shot ones I have for my SP101 are much harder and have not lost rounds in my pocket. I'll have to do a little testing with the Taurus ones before I carry one in 9mm. A final note on the 9mm cylinder, the cartridges do head space on the case mouth and can be fired without the moon clips. Only one chamber gave me some trouble pulling a fired case out. I think it needs a little more black oxide knocked down. So in a pinch, it is still usable without the moon clips. I'd advise keeping a usable pocket knife handy as a JIC. The one chamber that was a chronic issue had no problems with the moon clips.

Next, I like shooting cast for saving money. I was surprised I didn't get much shaving or lead build up in the ports. Yes there was some and should be present with this kind of design. It wasn't any worse than Magna-port or Pro porting. Leading in the barrel was also minimal and within expectations. I had one box of .38's that I knew was very soft and they worked fine. So for reloaders, I wouldn't worry too much about the porting.

Final thoughts are that the 6.5” 692 is a viable platform for a working gun and for the range. Accuracy is there if you can do it. I suspect it will have no trouble on deer or feral pigs if you use the right ammo. I do think Taurus should rethink their offerings on this gun and offer a 5”. I do prefer the Hogue grips over the standard ribbed, and would like to see a more fuller grip than the Hogue. One more like they offer for the S&W 686. Also in hindsight, I really should have waited for the stainless model. I did get a good deal that was sub $500 on this OTD. So I didn't get hurt on it or pay a premium. I'll shoot it a bit more before working on the single action, and I intend to leave the double action alone. I also intend to look closer to the one 9mm chamber to see if it can get smoother and lift out the empty casing with a fingernail. From a tactical stand point (I don't mean mall ninja) having the option to use 9mm is a good one for those who prep or desire an option for the next ammo shortage. Also, on average pricing, in a retail store, the black 692 is running about $75 cheaper than a Ruger Blackhawk convertible.

Maloy

Name:  6.5 tracker 2.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  337.0 KB

Member #
    Liked
    11491 times
    Thank you for the in-depth range report. I had to replace all my taurus 905 moon clips with ones from TK industries, the replacements weren't cheap. But the Taurus moon clips were just low quality. I am surprised you have to remove the finish from the cylinders, sounds like Taurus may be rushing QA again. Glad it shot good for you
    xiholdtruex likes this.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Member #
    Liked
    331 times
    looks good enjoyed the review, That would be a mean night stand gun. I am sure with some 180gr xtps or hardcast lead it would be decent hunting gun.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3093 times
    Well deer and a .357 go well with each other. 158gr. JHP or soft tip will work fine. For pigs or black bear, 158gr or larger soft tip.

I wouldn't hesitate to take it out west as a backup. 158 up to 180 should be fine. One thing I notice, people will talk up the 10mm as a backup gun. The 10mm and .357 are actually equal with maybe the edge to the .357 in variety of ammo selection.

Maloy

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I ended up using spent casings on a lot of my moon clips to get the tension proper in order to hold the rounds in effectively. also like you said its kind of an art to remove spent casings without bending it back out. for that reason im not super excited about the 9mm offering but it is worth the ammo savings if you plan on shooting a lot with friends or something. I really debated about if I should have went for the black and im honestly glad I didn't it kinda feels like its "tacticool" or something and I dont care for that

Sponsored Links