Steel case split today in my Model 85 - pics
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Steel case split today in my Model 85 - pics

Member #
    Liked
    39 times

Steel case split today in my Model 85 - pics

Was out at the range today and was shooting Russian Tulammo 38 spcl 130gr FMJ standard pressure rounds in my Taurus Model 85 all steel revolver. Went through 10 rounds and all shot fine, loaded next cylinder, and "bang" - went to pull the trigger on round #2 and the trigger wouldn't pull back and the cylinder wouldn't turn. Locked up tight. Cylinder wouldn't open either. Let it sit for about 20 minutes and then the chamber opened, 4 of the rounds fell free and the last wouldn't eject even using the ejector rod. Had to use a pen to knock it out. Upon inspection, the case was split to the point of light coming through. I can see no damage to the revolver at all, and now it cycles fine, but this is the last time I use this Russian crap to save a few $$$ in pistols. Sure, I'll keep using it in my AK and SKS, but it seems like this isn't an isolated thing with using it in revolvers; the steel swells and doesn't contract back like brass and I've found lots of other reports of split cases with this Tulammo 38 spcl.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    10842 times
    Yikes!! I agree time to get rid off that version of Tulammo. Glad it didn't damage the cylinder.
    athappyhiker and 777Driver like this.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Member #
    Liked
    182 times
    I've accumulated some (fortunately not a lot ) TulAmmo over the years and have had issues with it. Not going to throw it away but the only firearms that I dare use it with are my HiPoints, my Yugo SKS and my Ishapore/Lee Enfield (.30. I guess that DOES say something about those firearms tho . Not going to even consider using any TulAmmo in any of my Taurus firearms.
    Flex
    "A man has got to know his limitations." HC

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    7173 times
    Cheap ammo.

That sort of thing is only one of the reasons I don't shoot steel case.
    Lomax and mark7mod0 like this.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Member #
    Liked
    6086 times
    That is one reason I only use brass ammo in my hand guns.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Case slits happen, but usually in much reloaded cases.
    Smokewagon and brojohn like this.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    yikes I wouldnt have been too happy to see that, I love my Taurus'

Member #
    Liked
    2363 times
    The only case rupture I have ever had was on a 9mm reman from Freedom Ammunition- it was Tula case.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    a.k.a. Higgy Baby

Member #
    Liked
    5828 times
    I've had more trouble with .22's over the years than any Tula ammunition, and I think the last split I had was aluminum cases when they first started being prevalent in the local Pittsburgh area a few years back.

To be fair, I primarily use Tula steel cases in my Russian caliber firearms (7.62x54R, 7.62x39, 9x18 Mak). My "standard calibers" so to speak are generally only running brass shells. I've even run Tula Brass in the early days, didn't perform bad just didn't seem widely available at the time.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk
    "I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. Hear it loud, hear it clearly. I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. I know what my country has done, both good and bad. I have a deep appreciation of what this country is and what the American people are capable of. This is not a setback. This is a challenge and believe me, the American people are up to the challenge,...." -Glenn Beck

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    30443 times
    I tried using steel case Federal and Tulammo and neither would feed in my 9s. I'll shoot 'em up in my 9mm Blackhawk and my Ruger P85 which feeds anything. I suspect they're hard on extractors which is not good on my Kel Tec. I've replaced the extractor on that firearm once. It's kinda weak. ANYway, steel expands and doesn't contract back like brass and is hard to extract. It doesn't even FEED, though, in my KT, not 100 percent.

As cheap as brass cased ammo is now days, I don't understand shooting steel or aluminum anyway. Neither can be reloaded. I used to like to shoot it because I didn't have to retrieve the brass, but as cheap as brass is now, so what? I usually spread a tarp and catch it, anyway. But, I rarely reload 9mm anymore. I can save a little by casting, but is it really worth it?

I shoot steel in my SKSs and my Radom 9x18 Mak.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links