Used Taurus 85 Ultra Lite Price Good?
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By MississippiYankee
  • 1 Post By 777Driver
  • 1 Post By one42A
  • 1 Post By jonrjen
  • 2 Post By Flex

Thread: Used Taurus 85 Ultra Lite Price Good?

Member #
    Liked
    67 times

Used Taurus 85 Ultra Lite Price Good?

I have an opportunity to buy a used Taurus Model 85 Ultra Lite (model with hammer exposed) in a glossy black finish for $300. It is a model with what I believe is the hammer lock on the back of the hammer. Looks to be in very good condition. This seems like a high price to me, considering I can get a use S&W Airweight J frame 637 (same type/weight) for $349.
    What are your thoughts on the price and quality of these Taurus 85 Ultra Lites? I have a Mod. 85 CHSS full steel that I really like, but don't know how the Ultra Lites compare.

Member #
    Liked
    87 times
    I have an 85 UL in stainless finish and I love it. Trigger is smooth, it's very accurate and a pleasure to shoot. But I will say $300 for a used one seems high. I bought mine new at a show four years ago for $269 (before tax). Keep looking - you can find a better price.

Matter of fact, I just got an 856 UL in the black finish brand new for $319 (that was the sticker - I traded another gun, so it was less than that out of pocket).
    vboy36 likes this.
    Forgive me if I
    have a place in my mind
    where I go time to time

Member #
    Liked
    1074 times
    That does seem like a high price for a Model 85UL.

I paid $205 for my SS 85UL when it was on sale three years ago.
    Factor in $30 for shipping, and $20 for FFL fee, and I was out the door for $255.
    I wasn't even looking for a snubbie, but I just couldn't pass up that price. Surprisingly, my wife likes to shoot it.

Still, I bet that somebody will meet that guy's price.
    Taurus isn't making the 85 anymore, and they are getting hard to find.
    So if you want one, you may need to pay for it.
    Last edited by 777Driver; 05-12-2019 at 09:40 AM.
    MississippiYankee likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    907 times
    It's not a steal at that price but a bright blued/black finish (if it's factory) will add value. If you like it, the $50 bucks probably won't change your life.......... so just buy it!
    777Driver likes this.
    Guns have only 2 enemies, rust and politicians.
    You don't shoot to kill, you shoot to stay alive.
    Assault is a behavior not a device, 69,997,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday

Member #
    Liked
    19193 times
    Keep in mind that when a reply says " I bought mine _____ number of years ago, you have no idea what the market or promotions were like. Another then to keep in mind is that the finish that Taurus puts on the current models is no where near the finish that was on the older model firearms.

Newer and cheaper, no longer equates to better on all things of beauty. Shop it, price it, and buy it...the one that is the better. Not necessarily the better priced.

And don't confuse the stainless steel pistol of years gone with the stainless steel propriety finish (IE: coated finish) of days past.
    Last edited by jonrjen; 05-12-2019 at 12:03 PM.
    777Driver likes this.
    I have often heard that "Change is Good". If this is a fact, why does history tend to repeat itself so often. I'm guessing that it is so we can learn from our mistakes that change is good?

Member #
    Liked
    857 times
    A local pawn shop had one several weeks ago that looked new but he wanted $250. I offered $175 but he would only come down to $225. I went back a couple of weeks later to see if he had changed his mind but he had sold it.

Member #
    Liked
    191 times
    I have to agree with those that think that the price is a little high for a used Taurus. I also agree with jonrjen's comment on what was paid in the past. The firearm market varies wildly from place to place and time to time! While most things depreciate over time, many things appreciate and many times that depends on the current market conditions. Things that would make me think that as one42A said "the $50 bucks probably won't change your life.......... so just buy it!" are the glossy black finish and the the exposed hammer. I don't know how long the Taurus warranty lasts on that particular model, so that could be a factor. I will say, that I have shot the S&W AirWeight that was mentioned and didn't particularly care for it and would never pay $350 for one. If the Taurus 85 Ultralite is a similar weight, that would be a negative factor for me. RE: that "$50" comment, I believe that I can ALWAYS afford to spend that much more on something that I really wanted but there's always the "little angel" sitting on my other shoulder asking me if I really need to do so .
    Flex
    one42A and Fatboy46 like this.
    "A man has got to know his limitations." HC

Member #
    Liked
    31486 times
    I'll tell you this; if I'm looking at a brand new $250 revolver with the flat black finish, and a $300 used (that passes the used revolver inspection) with the old, fantastic Taurus bluing*, I'm going to spend the extra $50.

* I say that because I've been looking closely, and the bluing on my Taurus 66 is at least as good as my .25ACP Colt, and better than either of my Detective Specials. Well, certainly better than one of them; the other might come down to personal preference. My classic Cobra is far better than the Taurus, but that's a snake gun...
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Sponsored Links