New to me Model 66! - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: New to me Model 66!

Member #
    Liked
    30820 times
    Well, I got some Herters smooth walnut grips. At first, they didn't improve the DA reach at all... but then along came one of my favorite superheros; Captain Dremel! I fitted it to my hand fairly well (I've only done this once before - lots of fun!). I've got one coat of finish on it so far. It's not really shiny at all yet. And I prepped with progressive grits up to a final grit of 1000. So I think I should be able to get it to finish very nicely. Pics soon.
    Qwiks draw likes this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    184 times
    Very nice find indeed! There are lots of .357/.38 revolvers on the market and they all have their pros & cons. After a fair amount of research, I too, settled on a Taurus 66 (SS with 4" barrel) and I'm completely satisfied. I'm quite sure that you will not regret buying yours. I love that deep bluing that Taurus has foolishly abandoned. I went with the SS solely because the "matte black" finish is such an abomination. (To be sure, the SS finish is very nice but I would have preferred the "old school" blued finish ). It seems that many folks have issue with the stock rubber grip on the 66 but I think it's just fine. I've considered wood grips (for visual class) and also the Hogue Monogrip but believe that I will be keeping the stock grip. I had some very classy wood grips on my S&W 66 and replaced them with the Hogue Monogrip. The Monogrip is fine but IMHO just not that much better than the stock grip for me to swap it out. Each to their own.
    I know that some my consider it rude to ask but can you give us a ballpark figure on what you had to pay to pick up this beauty? At my LGS, I paid a bit over $400 (tax, title & license included) for my 66 a couple of years ago and still feel pretty good about it. I hoping that you got a pretty sweet deal since there was probably no FFL fee or sales tax and 2 hours of fuel is probably less that S&H would have been. Go ahead, make us even more jealous.
    Again, nice find indeed!
    Flex
    "A man has got to know his limitations." HC

Member #
    Liked
    6141 times
    Congrats, you did good.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    30820 times
    I've finished the custom-shaped grips. They turned out pretty well; good looking, a good size (although part of me thinks I could shave them down even more) and the new grips shoot the same point of aim. The finish is Tru Oil from Birchwood Casey. I'm pretty happy with the grips. Now to finish the holster!

Attached Images Attached Images   
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    30820 times
    I've finished the holster for the revolver. I put a .357 magnum case in it. Cut it down to sort of make a rivet out of it (diamond cutting wheel on a dremel). I really like how it turned out. I thought I might want a hammer loop for retention, but retention is NOT a problem, as well molded as it is.

Name:  00001.jpeg
Views: 24
Size:  2.49 MB

Name:  00002.jpeg
Views: 24
Size:  2.64 MB
    loudviking and bigC like this.

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    7163 times
    I am going to start asking you to make me some holsters!
    Very nice!
    GhostHorse likes this.
    There are "four boxes" that can be employed to resist the downfall of America, the ballot box, the soap box, the jury box and, lastly, the ammo box.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    30629 times
    Man, GH, that is a stunning holster. Why can't I do something like that? Really nice work, good job !
    GhostHorse likes this.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links