Maybe Taurus 66..... Maybe
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Maybe Taurus 66..... Maybe

Member #
    Liked
    6856 times

Maybe Taurus 66..... Maybe

I've been a member here for a long while, but I have also been away for a long while. After a nightmare experience with Taurus CS, I just could no longer say anything positive about Taurus nor recommend them to anyone. I didn't want to be a troll, so I moved over to the S&W Forum. My wife kept her 85 and my son still has an 82, so there are still a couple in the family. I myself no longer have one.

I miss the good folks here, and what used to be a value in a great revolver. I am hoping that Taurus quality has improved over the last year. I will be buying a Ruger Mark IV soon, but might consider a Taurus 66 afterward, if the company has started to value it's customers a bit better. I hope to see some good reports on here.

I hope everyone has been doing well, and hope to hear from everyone in the New Year.
    1. Muzzle Controll: Always point in a safe direction
    2. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    3. Keep it unloaded until ready to use.
    4. Know your target and what is beyond.

There is nothing so rewarding as to make people realize that they are worthwhile in this world.

Member #
    Liked
    11527 times
    Welcome back Six. I think many of us have experienced the Taurus CS disappointment. Currently I only have Taurus revolvers ( 605,627& Judge ). So I can;t help with current quality of the 66's. However I did recently pick up a Mark 4 22/45 and have both a lite upper and a long barrel heavy upper for it, it is amazing!
    SixFalls likes this.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Member #
    Liked
    19569 times
    Hey there SixFalls, it's been a while.

Can't really add anything of value when it comes to the model 66. Right now Taurus is going through so many changes in model numbers, discontinued models and reintroducing new models that mimic the old now discontinued that it can be plan ridiculous trying to keep up with any sanity in the Taurus train of thought.

Add into the mix that the new models only come with a 1 year limited warranty, and the old model that was almost identical to the new line up entry is now on a 5 year count down to ending it's lifetime warranty and Taurus can be even less appealing.

You can throw into the mix a guess that maybe part of the root cause of all of this ridiculous going on could have to do with past law suite settlements, warranty cost from past sales, or even the fact that maybe Taurus is attempting to stream line the inventory for the manufacturing move from Brazil to the USA.

One additional kink is that the revolver line of Taurus seems to have shrunk as has available inventory of certain models, meaning that, that $330 model 66 of the past may now be a $450+ shelf price tagged revolver.

Not be come across as a Debbie Downer, but I simply state it as I see it.

Either way on your decision of purchasing a 66 we don't really care....what we do care about is you coming back to the family here at T/A. We are not now or ever have been only focused on Taurus, we are a very cultural wise group of individuals....yea, that just doesn't sound right. We are just us, and you know that your welcome.
    SixFalls and bobbojama like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    93 times
    Should you choose to get a Taurus revolver of recent manufacture, all I can recommend is go stainless. The new black finish is terrible.
    Czechbikr and grayman like this.

Member #
    Liked
    313 times
    Quote Originally Posted by silverstring View Post
    Welcome back Six. I think many of us have experienced the Taurus CS disappointment. Currently I only have Taurus revolvers ( 605,627& Judge ). So I can;t help with current quality of the 66's. However I did recently pick up a Mark 4 22/45 and have both a lite upper and a long barrel heavy upper for it, it is amazing!
    For the foreseeable future, I will only consider Taurus revolvers. I am done with the semi-auto's for now even though I am happy with my PT111 (which I purchases myself), my PT92, and of course my beloved Tracker. My experience when they "recalled" my PT24/7 was just too painful and frustrating.
    SixFalls and silverstring like this.

Member #
    Liked
    197 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ? Marquis View Post
    Should you choose to get a Taurus revolver of recent manufacture, all I can recommend is go stainless. The new black finish is terrible.
    I will most definitely second this motion! I like to use the word "abomination" when referring to the new black finish. It needs to go away!

Back to the Model 66, mine was "born" early in the Summer of 2017 in Brazil. I have no issues what so ever with mine and have had no need to contact Customer Service RE: any issues. (I did call and ask why I couldn't find mine listed in their "FIND MY MODEL" lookup on their website). The fit and finish are excellent as is function. I would like to think that the 66 remains an anchor in the Taurus revolver lineup. I see that it is still listed on the TaurusUSA website and I see no mention of availability being limited to stock on hand. It would be sad to see such a solid performer kicked to the curb.

I agree with those that take exception with the practice of discontinuing a model only to make a small modification then after giving it a new name, re-introducing it as a "New Model" that now falls under a different warranty. I don't have specifics and I'm sure that many manufacturers do it but it's kinda cheesy.
    Flex
    "A man has got to know his limitations." HC

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33787 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SixFalls View Post
    I myself no longer have one.
    You don't necessarily have to be a Taurus owner to be a member here. I myself, bought a Glock yesterday.

Welcome back!
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    31953 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokewagon View Post
    You don't necessarily have to be a Taurus owner to be a member here. I myself, bought a Glock yesterday.

Welcome back!
    You bought a block? Are you babysitting?
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33787 times
    I guess curiosity and weakness got the best of me. I've shot them before, so I thought I would own one. At least for a while.
    texastaurusguy likes this.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Member #
    Liked
    6856 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokewagon View Post
    ....... I myself, bought a Glock yesterday.....
    I don't nor have I ever owned a Glock, but we all have friends that do. Glocks, love'em or hate'em, you can't deny the quality. They have changed the handgun world forever, and if you have looked at a Benelli Supernova, the shotgun world as well. My prodigal son just bought a Springfield XD. After shooting this plastic wonder and chewing the X ring out of the target, I had to admit, that I liked it.... A LOT! One may be in my future yet.
    1. Muzzle Controll: Always point in a safe direction
    2. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    3. Keep it unloaded until ready to use.
    4. Know your target and what is beyond.

There is nothing so rewarding as to make people realize that they are worthwhile in this world.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links