Like Tree10Likes
  • 9 Post By MillCreek
  • 1 Post By jonrjen

Thread: Two thumbs up for the Taurus .357 Protector Poly

Member #
    Liked
    26 times

Two thumbs up for the Taurus .357 Protector Poly

So I am now several months into owning the .357 Poly Protector. I have put around 600 rounds through it, 400 .38 and 200 .357. I have had no problems, it has gone bang every time I pulled the trigger, and it still seems as tight as the day I bought it. I have had it out in all weathers, including an unplanned dunk into Puget Sound, and no corrosion or finish problems. I am using the smaller boot grip and this is one of the best stock grips I have ever used. Although it is still impressive shooting .357 158 grain JSP out of it, it is not acutely painful, as I have experienced with other revolvers. I attribute this to the grips and the 23 ounces loaded weight. I also like the fiber optic sight on the front.

I like this revolver so much that I bought another one from Bud's and it is now my truck gun. It replaces my Taurus 85 concealed hammer stainless. I try to keep only my more relatively-inexpensive handguns in the vehicle. Even though it is locked in one of the car cable safes, if someone is clever enough to bring bolt-cutters, it is gone. I am keeping it loaded with Remington .38+p 125 grain JHP, and I have a couple of ammo wallets in the car loaded with the Remington and the .357 158 grain JSP. The .357 158 grain JSP is what I carry in the woods, so I wanted a reload of that in case I break down out in the backwoods.

So from my perspective, two thumbs up for the Taurus Protector Poly.

MillCreek
    Snohomish County, Washington USA

Member #
    Liked
    19134 times
    Good report. Glad you are enjoying your new revolver!

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    10908 times
    Nothing says you like a gun more than buying two. Glad the protector is working so well for you.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    19082 times
    I had purchased a poly 357/38 revolver when they first came to market. Try as I may, I just couldn't fathom owning a POLY revolver, it just wasn't natural. Not to mention the greater overall size difference between the POLY version and say the 605 model.

Now with that being said, one of my favorite revolvers to carry at the farm/ranch was my POLY Judge. It fits my hand well, the over sized poly frame doesn't bother me at all, matter of fact I rather like it.

Funny how our taste change over time....and sometimes change is a good thing.

I'm happy you are pleased with your choice. As for owning more than one of the same model firearm, I am in that same club on a few different choices.
    Adamwest436 likes this.
    I have often heard that "Change is Good". If this is a fact, why does history tend to repeat itself so often. I'm guessing that it is so we can learn from our mistakes that change is good?

Member #
    Liked
    3338 times
    I remember when I handled my first polymer semiauto pistol .. I have always been a Ruger fan ...at that time I was more a revolver guy .. The semiauto pistols I owned was a Makarov , Ruger P90 , Ruger P89 & P93 ... The first polymer I handled was a Glock 17 or 19 .. I just thought it was a passing gimmick.. The first I owned was a Ruger 95 .. The next was a HS2000 .. Then a Kel-Tec P-11 ...

Fast foward to now ...Semi autos rule my safe ... I still own alot of revolvers ... Some are polymer.. LCR357 , my Charter has a Alumium frame and a polymer grip frame .. And all my semiauto pistols are polymer.. ... 12 are Glocks , 1 a TCP & the other a P-11 ...
    I replaced my 1911 with a Glock 21C , literally I traded my RIA 1911 for that Glock 21C

Im on the prowl for another 38spl snubbie... and Taurus poly 38spl , Taurus 856 , Charter steel frame , S&W 642, 638 & a Ruger LCR9 or LCR38 ... thats the short list ..

I own both a LCR357 & a SP101 ... I must say the LCR357 holds it own with the SP101 even with 357 mag .., the polymer frame absorbs the recoil.. even with Underwood 158gr 357mag..., but follow up shots are not as quick vs the SP101 ....

The polymer framed revolver just like the the semiauto day is here ..,,,

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Ruger comes out with a medium polymer framed six shot 357mag and / or a seven shot 327 ... Others will follow ..
    Taurus Family
    TCP
    Heritage 22/22 Mag

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    I also have a LCR in .38. The Ruger has correspondingly higher quality to go with the higher price of an additional $ 250 or so, and I would not argue that the Taurus has equivalent fit and finish to the Ruger. Nor does the Taurus have as good a trigger as the LCR, which is quite possibly amongst the best revolver triggers I have ever used in my 37 years of owning revolvers. In terms of functionality, I am of the opinion that the Taurus is the equal of the Ruger, and I prefer the front sight and the boot grip of the Taurus over the Ruger. I own more Ruger revolvers and S&W pistols than any other brand, and I also own Taurus revolvers and pistols since they offer things I cannot find elsewhere. Price is not a major consideration for me since I can pretty much afford to buy whatever I want. I wish that Taurus would bring back the titanium revolvers, since I would like to buy a few more of those. The Protector Polys are going to be in my 'tool guns' group, where functionality and ruggedness are my primary concerns.

I am also still holding my breath for Ruger to bring out a LCRx in .357 with a 3 inch barrel, or for Taurus to do the equivalent. I can promise that will become my new trail gun for outdoor activities.

MillCreek
    Snohomish County, Washington USA

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links