Brand New 65!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Brand New 65!

Member #
    Liked
    107 times

Brand New 65!

I just got home from my FFL with the new Taurus 65 Stainless that I ordered on Friday 12/1 from Grab-A-Gun. Here are the obligatory cellphone snaps:

So far I like it a lot, although I obviously haven't had time to shoot it yet. I especially appreciate that Taurus did not rollmark any big logos on the sides of the barrel. The matte stainless finish looks good, although there is a slightly different feel to the finish between the frame and the barrel - the frame feel "grainer" in comparison with the barrel.

I've dry fired it a bit, and the trigger pull is really good in DA.

The grips are way better than the ones that came on my Rossi 97104 that I bought several years ago. They had a kind of a point molded into them just below the recoil shoulder, and .357 Magnums would drive that point back into your hand in a painful way if you take a high grip like i do. I was forced to re-contour the Rossi grips, and they are a lot better now. Also the Taurus grips allow much more room for a speedloader than did the Rossi.

Just as i got home from the FFL a friend of mine texted me, so I sent him the pics of the 65 too. Now this guy is so gun-happy that when his son was born he wanted to name him him Colton. His wife said no dice - she didn't want her baby named after a gun! But his next suggestion was Barrett! He managed to put that one over on her. Anyway, they had to relocate from Kentucky to Dallas, TX this year. In his text he related that his new office is only 15 minutes from Grab-A-Gun! I told him that would be like having a fat kid working in a candy store.
    Buckeye!, Exile, slong115 and 3 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    3486 times
    Great looking revolver !!!!!

Keep us updated on your revolver !
    Taurus Family
    TCP
    G2
    Heritage 22/22 Mag

Member #
    Liked
    220 times
    Nice lookin' revolver! You may recall that I mentioned in a related post that the Taurus 65 was a very strong contender in my quest for a 2nd revolver. I like the clean lines of the 65 but I do like the adjustable sight on my 66.
    I too, like "that Taurus did not rollmark any big logos on the sides of the barrel" my 66 is like that also. I'm a bit surprised that nowhere on my 66 (and I believe the 65) is there an indication of the caliber or type of ammunition that the firearm uses.
    Your positive feelings about the grips and the trigger will definitely be shown to be valid on your first range trip. Taurus does make a nice affordable revolver!

We'll all be looking forward to your range report.
    Flex
    "A man has got to know his limitations." HC

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    107 times
    Flex,

On my new 65 and on my Rossi 971 both, the caliber is stamped on the underside of the barrel.

Member #
    Liked
    107 times
    Here are some further observations regarding my new 65:

Size: I presumed before making the purchase that the Taurus 65 was similar in size to a Smith & Wesson K-Frame. Upon receiving it I see that it is actually a little bit larger. I have a Colt King Cobra, and the 65 frame is very close to that of the Colt. A lot of the "extra" is at the front of the frame where the barrel threads in, which, of course, is a very good thing as it makes the barrel/frame joint stronger. I also noticed that the frame behind the cylinder seems to be a little longer as well, as when I take a firing grip on the 65 (which, for me, includes curling my thumb down), my thumb no longer extends into interference with my trigger finger pulling the trigger. On my Rossi 971 and my S&W Model 10 I have to take a grip where my strong hand thumb is high and curls away from the frame to prevent interference. Curiously, though, the cylinder seems to be very close in size to that of the 971 and the Model 10 - enough so that speedloaders for a Model 10 work for the 65.

Grip: The grip is great! It allows for a secure grasp, and it provides plenty of room for speedloader use. Both the HKS 10 and the Safariland Comp II for a Model 10 work fine without interference with the grip. The grip also permits a very high grip, with the web between my index finger and thumb riding right up to the top of the recoil shoulder. On my Rossi 971 the grip was molded with a pointed projection just below the recoil shoulder, and I finally re-shaped the back side of the grip to get rid of that.

Finish: The matte stainless is very attractive, although a little more polish would be even better. But I understand that polish takes time, and time is money. But anyway, I really like revolvers in stainless. but then, I also like revolvers in highly polished blue, and I would not have been happy with the current black oxide finish applied to the recent carbon steel Taurus revolvers.

Sights: The rear sight is TINY, and the front sight needs a coat of orange paint on the ramp (Which matter is about to be attended to!).

Holster: The 65 can fit into a Triple-K Carrylight holster for a S&W Model 10, but it's tight. I also have a Carrylight for a S&W L-frame, but the 65 seems a little loose in that. I have a Galco Wheelgunner, though, and it works for my Model 10 and Rossi 971, and the Taurus 65 fits it like a glove.

Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    That's a really nice gun. My state doesn't approve taurus handguns for sale so I can only look longingly. I find it interesting that the taurus 65 is a fixed sight 357 and 66 is an adjustable sight 357 and the s&w 65 and 66 are the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    220 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tpelle View Post
    Flex,

On my new 65 and on my Rossi 971 both, the caliber is stamped on the underside of the barrel.
    I now see that my 66 does too. Don't know how I missed that!
    Flex

Member #
    Liked
    340 times
    Quote Originally Posted by browncoat View Post
    I find it interesting that the taurus 65 is a fixed sight 357 and 66 is an adjustable sight 357 and the s&w 65 and 66 are the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    At one time Taurus and S&W were under the same ownership. Designs and manufacturing were shared to a certain degree. Others in the group may want to add more specifics.
    Taurus M65
    S&W 642
    FNH FNX-9
    Kahr CM9
    Canik/TriStar S120
    Browning Buck Mark Plus
    Savage/Stevens M58 20ga.
    Remington Speedmaster .22

Member #
    Liked
    220 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tpelle View Post
    Here are some further observations regarding my new 65:

Size: I presumed before making the purchase that the Taurus 65 was similar in size to a Smith & Wesson K-Frame. Upon receiving it I see that it is actually a little bit larger.

Grip: The grip is great! It allows for a secure grasp, and it provides plenty of room for speedloader use. Both the HKS 10 and the Safariland Comp II for a Model 10 work fine without interference with the grip.

Finish: The matte stainless is very attractive, although a little more polish would be even better. But I understand that polish takes time, and time is money. But anyway, I really like revolvers in stainless. but then, I also like revolvers in highly polished blue, and I would not have been happy with the current black oxide finish applied to the recent carbon steel Taurus revolvers.

Sights: The rear sight is TINY, and the front sight needs a coat of orange paint on the ramp (Which matter is about to be attended to!).
    I think that many believe that the Taurus 65/66 models are clones of the S&W K-framed revolvers. Taurus bills them as "medium frame", but I've seen them called med/large framed and even some that call them an "L" frame. Bottom line, as you mention above, is that the 65/66 series runs more than a bit larger than the K-framed S&Ws that they are supposedly clones of. This does become a concern when holster selection is considered. Otherwise, I'm fine with them being bigger.

The stock grip is more than adequate but I'll admit to being intrigued by the Hogue Mono-Grip. The reviews are wide ranging and I'm concerned about how my speed loader will work. With the stock grips, the 7-shot HKS speed loader (587-A) does work but not as smooth as the 6-shot HKS 10-A does in my EAA Windicator. If the stock grip were any wider, I don't think that the speed loader would work.

I really like the satin/matte SS finish too. I've seen that some have polished them to a shine but that would be a lot of work and don't necessarily see the benefit especially if I don't like the results.

The TINY fixed sites on many revolvers is one of the reasons I went with the 66. The "orange" insert on the front sight is nothing to write home about and I too, am planning add some additional color to the front blade.

As many, if not most (on this site at least) will agree, the Taurus line of revolvers has a solid reputation for quality and reliability at an affordable price.
    Flex

Member #
    Liked
    107 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Flex View Post
    I think that many believe that the Taurus 65/66 models are clones of the S&W K-framed revolvers. Taurus bills them as "medium frame", but I've seen them called med/large framed and even some that call them an "L" frame. Bottom line, as you mention above, is that the 65/66 series runs more than a bit larger than the K-framed S&Ws that they are supposedly clones of. This does become a concern when holster selection is considered. Otherwise, I'm fine with them being bigger.

The stock grip is more than adequate but I'll admit to being intrigued by the Hogue Mono-Grip. The reviews are wide ranging and I'm concerned about how my speed loader will work.
    Flex
    I believe that the extra "beef" to the frame amounts to about 3/16"! That's really quite a lot, I think, and will seriously contribute to the strength of the revolver.

The Rossi 97104 that I have is almostly exactly the same frame size as my S&W Model 10-5. (The 10-5 is the tapered barrel model, and looks almost dainty next to the 66!)

I picked up a Fobus holster that specifically calls out the Taurus 65 as one of the revolvers that it fits. I usually don't like Fobus holsters - especially for blued firearms - but I might like it for quick runs to store when I don't want to thread a leather holster on to my belt.

I also have one of those Galco Wheelgunner holsters, which is an easy-on/easy-off leather holster. It was formerly known as the Texas Highrider. It has a sort of belt slide that threads on to the belt that, by itself, is very unobtrusive. The main body of the holster then fits inside the belt slide and attaches with a snap. It holds the revolver fairly high, with the cylinder well above the belt, which really helps with concealment as it doesn't show below the covering garment. I can actually conceal it under a "tall" t-shirt (and I'm 6'-2"). Here's a picture with my Rossi 97104:

This really a very comfortable holster, especially for all-day wear. Most of my semi-auto holsters are IWB - I don't have any IWB holsters for revolvers, as I always kind of thought that the cylinder would be pushing into my side and would be uncomfortable.
    Last edited by tpelle; 12-08-2017 at 03:26 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links