Ordered A 65 This Morning
    Member #
    Liked
    107 times

Ordered A 65 This Morning

I've been looking at 4" 6-Shot .357 Magnums for a while now - almost bought a Charter Arms last year, but by the time I had the funds that model disappeared from stock pretty much permanently. A few years ago I picked up a blued Rossi 971, but I just can't get warmed up to the adjustable rear sight and the "Shamu" front blade. I wanted something like a service revolver with fixed sights. I was considering the blued Taurus 65, but then I read about this new matte finish that replaced the blue, and, heck, if I wanted to settle for an ugly finish on a revolver I'd go for an Armscor M-200. Really don't like Rugers, and I absolutely despise the "Hillary Hole" lock on the Smith's. That pretty much narrowed my choices down to the 65. I was waiting for funding, and knew my company was going to be giving out our annual profit-sharing bonus on December 1, so I started watching the stock of 65's dwindle down at Grab-A-Gun last week. It finally got down to "Only 2 Left" on Black Friday, so I figured this was gonna be another repeat of the Charter Arms experience, where they have stock but I don't have the money, and when I finally get the money they don't have any stock. But a couple of days ago the "Only 2 Left" turned back to "In Stock"! Must have gotten a shipment in! And this morning my bonus showed up in my bank account (And it is about 4 times what I expected and twice what I hoped for! YeeHaw!), so I was on the 'net about 4:15 AM and placed my order. Sometimes a plan actually DOES come together. This will likely be my last gun purchase ever. Not only do I now have everything on my bucket list, but I'm retiring at the end of the month - so it's "fixed income" and no more bonuses for me! Hopefully I get a good one.
    Last edited by tpelle; 12-01-2017 at 03:30 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    3487 times
    Charter is s 5 shot 357 mag revolver .. Closer to a J frame size ...

The 65 is a great revolver..
    Taurus Family
    TCP
    G2
    Heritage 22/22 Mag

Member #
    Liked
    107 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye! View Post
    Charter is s 5 shot 357 mag revolver .. Closer to a J frame size ... The 65 is a great revolver..
    The one I was looking at was a 6-shot .38 Special, IIRC. They called it something like the Undercover Police or something similar.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3487 times
    Yep ..they have a Six Shot 38spl Police Off Duty ,built on a Bulldog frame ...

Another good 6 Shot 38spl is a Armscor .. Snubbie with DA/SA or DAO and a 4 inch version DA/SA ..,

If I was looking for a 4 inch 38spl .. Armscor would be my choice .,
    Last edited by Buckeye!; 12-01-2017 at 03:18 PM.
    Taurus Family
    TCP
    G2
    Heritage 22/22 Mag

Member #
    Liked
    3487 times
    double post
    Last edited by Buckeye!; 12-01-2017 at 03:20 PM.
    Taurus Family
    TCP
    G2
    Heritage 22/22 Mag

Member #
    Liked
    107 times
    I was thinking about the Armscor - I really prefer the Colt style lock work where the hand rotates the cylinder clockwise into the frame (as opposed to the S&W system where the hand tries to push the cylinder out of the frame. That's why the Colt revolvers only have to latch the cylinder closed in one place, at the rear of the cylinder, while the S&W revolvers have to latch it at two places, at the rear of the cylinder and way up front at the end of the ejector rod. I actually think that the new style Taurus system, where the front latch is that spring-loaded striker built into the crane is a superior system to S&W's. (If you examine an S&W revolver you will see that the ejector rod is actually hollow, and there is a long pin that extends all the through it to open the latch at the forward end of the ejector rod. That's also why all but the very earliest S&W revolvers have some sort of lug out at the end of the ejector rod. It houses the other half of the front latch. Colt revolvers, up until when they decided to change it for probably cosmetic reasons, always left their ejector rod hanging out in space under the barrel.

I also didn't think I'd be happy with the parkerized finish on the Armscor revolver, and why I rejected the black oxide finish on the non-stainless Taurus revolvers.

Methinks Taurus is going to get taken to the woodshed over that black oxide stuff.
    Last edited by tpelle; 12-01-2017 at 03:31 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    220 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tpelle View Post
    I've been looking at 4" 6-Shot .357 Magnums for a while now - almost bought a Charter Arms last year, but by the time I had the funds that model disappeared from stock pretty much permanently. A few years ago I picked up a blued Rossi 971, but I just can't get warmed up to the adjustable rear sight and the "Shamu" front blade. I wanted something like a service revolver with fixed sights. I was considering the blued Taurus 65, but then I read about this new matte finish that replaced the blue, and, heck, if I wanted to settle for an ugly finish on a revolver I'd go for an Armscor M-200. Really don't like Rugers, and I absolutely despise the "Hillary Hole" lock on the Smith's. That pretty much narrowed my choices down to the 65. I was waiting for funding, and knew my company was going to be giving out our annual profit-sharing bonus on December 1, so I started watching the stock of 65's dwindle down at Grab-A-Gun last week. It finally got down to "Only 2 Left" on Black Friday, so I figured this was gonna be another repeat of the Charter Arms experience, where they have stock but I don't have the money, and when I finally get the money they don't have any stock. But a couple of days ago the "Only 2 Left" turned back to "In Stock"! Must have gotten a shipment in! And this morning my bonus showed up in my bank account (And it is about 4 times what I expected and twice what I hoped for! YeeHaw!), so I was on the 'net about 4:15 AM and placed my order. Sometimes a plan actually DOES come together. This will likely be my last gun purchase ever. Not only do I now have everything on my bucket list, but I'm retiring at the end of the month - so it's "fixed income" and no more bonuses for me! Hopefully I get a good one.
    I'd been a similar situation for a couple of years. Hadn't given the Charter Arms line much consideration (no specific reason) but had seriously considered the Rossi 971. I didn't care for the sight arrangement either. The Armscor M-200 was in the running for a while but I really wanted something with .357 capability. Came down to Taurus and EAA. I already had the EAA Windicator in the "snubby" mode and thought that the 4" version would be fine but my LGS was having a hard time finding one in stock with their distributors. The Taurus 65 was tied for that front running position. When my guy at the LGS looked it up, it was in stock and I was ready to order when he said that the M66 was a better deal (cost-wise). I did like the adjustable sight on the 66 and the 7 round capacity was a bonus too! I would need to buy additional speed loaders, oh well. While the 65 almost became a reality the 66 won out.
    I still think that the Taurus 65 is a solid choice for a .357 MAG revolver and believe you made a good decision. It wasn't mentioned if it was to be a "carry piece" but if it was to be, I'd say that the fixed sights would be much less likely to interfere with a draw.
    So, congrats on your "last gun purchase ever" (I've heard THAT before!), and your decent annual bonus! I think that you'll be happy.
    Flex
    "A man has got to know his limitations." HC

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    21427 times
    Another choice for a 4-inch revolver in .38/.357 magnum is the EAA Windicator. The Germans make a top quality firearm with a nice blued finish and an excellent reputation, in a choice of barrel lengths and at a good price.

I bought mine when a couple walked into my local gun store one morning, looking to sell a 4" model in the original box for cash. I kept silent until the transaction was completed and they walked out the door. I grabbed it, looked it over, and 20 minutes later it was mine.

Regardless of make and model, a 4 inch revolver in .38 is one of the best handguns you can buy that combines practicality, reliability, and accuracy. If it will also shoot.357 mag, so much the better.
    Last edited by TrucksNCoffee; 12-02-2017 at 10:45 AM.
    Every man should own a fine firearm, a fine knife and a fine watch.

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    The model 65 is a great choice especially if you ever plan on owb or open carry.

Member #
    Liked
    220 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TrucksNCoffee View Post
    Another choice for a 4-inch revolver in .38/.357 magnum is the EAA Windicator. The Germans make a top quality firearm with a nice blued finish and an excellent reputation, in a choice of barrel lengths and at a good price.

I bought mine when a couple walked into my local gun store one morning, looking to sell a 4" model in the original box for cash. I kept silent until the transaction was completed and they walked out the door. I grabbed it, looked it over, and 20 minutes later it was mine.

Regardless of make and model, a 4 inch revolver in .38 is one of the best handguns you can buy that combines practicality, reliability, and accuracy. If it will also shoot.357 mag, so much the better.
    As I mentioned in a reply earlier in this thread, the EAA Windicator .38 SPL/.357 MAG was a top contender in my search for a 4" barreled revolver. My Windicator with a 2" barrel is a great revolver. Chronic short supply of the EAA 4" model I wanted lead my search elsewhere and I ended up with a Taurus 66. I'm completely happy with my 66 but if I ever randomly come across a 4" Windicator, it is likely to go home with me . I fully agree with the above stated attributes of a .38 caliber revolver with a 4" barrel. And yes, .357 MAG capability makes it even better!

In an effort to get this thread back on topic tho, if I ever find a Taurus 65 with a true "blued" finish, THAT gun would likely go home with me too !

BTW, I agree with the OP in that "Taurus is going to get taken to the woodshed over that black oxide stuff." What were they thinking?
    Flex
    "A man has got to know his limitations." HC

Sponsored Links