7 shot 8 shot revolver?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times

7 shot 8 shot revolver?

I'm in a revolver faze. I know Taurus makes/made a 7 shot 357 but did they make an 8 shot and what model was it?

Member #
    Liked
    2041 times

Re: 7 shot 8 shot revolver?

Model 608
    Roman matrons used to say to their sons: 'Come back with your shield or on it.' Later on, this custom declined. So did Rome..." (but not before it created an Empire that changed the world - Robert Heinlein

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

not to talk down your choice, but have you ever considered a bigger bore? i used to shoot ppc and carried one of several .357s. at home on the farm one day i encountered a feral dog attacking a new calf and i was carrying a S&W model 66 2.5" bbl. i engaged the beast at apx 70 yards shooting federal hydrashocks. the hit was spectacular as i hit him high in the back under the spine and meat and blood simply exploded, rolling the animal completely over. however he was almost instantly back on his feet but now running. I rolled him again not sure where the shot hit and he now ran at an oblique away from me. i managed to hit him once more and he never stopped running and i never found him so he ran at least another 1/3rd to half mile. i lost faith in that caliber that day and sold off all but one of my 357's. six rounds should have been plenty and a lot of times it takes but one. on days like that, i don't know how many it would have taken. i counted my blessings that it had 4 legs and not 2.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    51 times

Quote Originally Posted by 444ultralight
    not to talk down your choice, but have you ever considered a bigger bore? i used to shoot ppc and carried one of several .357s. at home on the farm one day i encountered a feral dog attacking a new calf and i was carrying a S&W model 66 2.5" bbl. i engaged the beast at apx 70 yards shooting federal hydrashocks. the hit was spectacular as i hit him high in the back under the spine and meat and blood simply exploded, rolling the animal completely over. however he was almost instantly back on his feet but now running. I rolled him again not sure where the shot hit and he now ran at an oblique away from me. i managed to hit him once more and he never stopped running and i never found him so he ran at least another 1/3rd to half mile. i lost faith in that caliber that day and sold off all but one of my 357's. six rounds should have been plenty and a lot of times it takes but one. on days like that, i don't know how many it would have taken. i counted my blessings that it had 4 legs and not 2.
    Did you ever think that you didn't have the ballistics to cleaning kill the dog at 70 yards with a 357 out of a short barrel? That's quite a distance for a service caliber. Yes, a large bore will help but there are still realistic limits. I'm not sure exactly where you hit him with your first shot based on your description but from the sound of it you caught the abdomen or lower lungs, neither of which will cause an immediate stop regardless of caliber. Living creatures aren't like hitting paper targets or steel rams, they have quite a bit of life in them. You accomplished your goal however, you protected the calf and chased off the threat, most likely killing it in the process. What you didn't get was the phaser-like kill you sound like you were hoping for.

Steelheart
    USCCA, NRA & GOA member http://www.appleseedinfo.org/ Basic Rifle Marksmanship with some neat history thrown in.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I allways loved the 357mag ive got 4 of them,and i never had any problums with that round,has more FPS than most rounds,i also carry 357 or 44mag if u cant kill a dog with a 357,than u got real problums

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    30611 times

The .357 is plenty at 70 yards on a dog. I've killed large feral dogs with the 22LR. I've killed a deer at 50 yards with a .357, went about 25 feet and collapsed. But, shot placement off hand at 70 yards just might be a tad off? I hit a Javelina, not more than 60 lbs max, in the ribs with a 7mm remington magnum packin' around 3500 ft lbs at the muzzle. Range was 50 yards. He went 350 yards in the brush. I had to put him down with my .357 Rossi 971 when I caught up to him. Danged good blood trail, I will say!

Moral....Javelina, like hogs, have nothing but guts behind the shoulder. Shoot FOR the shoulder. I didn't hit him in a vital area. That boar was still fighting when I caught up with him, guts hanging out his right side, whole stomach on the ground.

The other Javelina I've shot, I did it at near 50 yards with the .357 magnum 4" Rossi and just put it on the head. The shot was taken prone over the lip of a dry wash with the ground supporting the gun on a flat rock. He died where he stood. Shot placement makes a big, big difference.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33294 times

The 608 is a very nice shooting revolver. Sweet trigger and easily controllable. Heres a picture of mine.

There is nothing in life so bad or so awful that it cannot be made infinitely worse by a lawyer.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Wow BigSkiff,thats sweeeeeeeeeeeeet

Member #
    Liked
    15 times

Quote Originally Posted by BigSkiff
    The 608 is a very nice shooting revolver. Sweet trigger and easily controllable. Heres a picture of mine.
    Wow! That's very nice.

Cheers.
    http://signatures.myarmedforces.com/..._signature.png

He who believes a political party is going to save them is already lost. -Me
    Nostalgia just ain't what it used to be. -Me
    Liberals want your money; conservatives want your soul. I'm not giving either. -Me
    Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear. -Unk
    I'm a direct descendant of Augustus Pond: http://www.guncite.com/court/state/8mi150.html

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

heres a pic of my 2 favs, MY S&W M&P Performance Center Model 327 8shot
    and my main carry S&W Custom Model 65

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links