Newer Gun Owner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Newer Gun Owner

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Newer Gun Owner

Years ago, I worked with the training officer of a police dept in So Calif.
    My need then: Small, lightweight, idiot proof for camping and backpacking in remote locations.

This training officer came up with the Ruger SP101.

Although my need has changed some over the years, Im still interested in a .357 revolver 3" barrel model.

Question: What other makes can I look at/ compare beside Ruger? I believe in paying for quality, but I also believe in NOT paying for a name.
    Any suggestions for alternatives?

Name:  ruger-sp101-3inch.jpg
Views: 2130
Size:  54.3 KB
    silverstring likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    32012 times
    First of all, welcome to the forum!
    Name:  welcome from New Mexico.JPG
Views: 186
Size:  72.5 KB

Now, a quick bit of gunbrokering tells me the commonly available choices are Ruger, S&W, and there are two Taurii. Personally, given the things I've heard about S&W lately (quality control, customer service)... and admittedly, I have yet to forgive S&W for their actions during the Clinton administration, so I'd look at the Rugers and the Taurii. Looks like you can get an SP101 for about $500, and a six shot SP100 for about $600. The Taurus is currently at $400 with no bids and 3 days to go. If I were a much more patient man than I am, I'd wait and see how the Taurus ends and grab it if it's below $450. If I were actually itching for a 3" .357, I'd probably hop on an SP101 right away. Built like tanks and great customer service from everything you hear on forums. And actually, since the $450 figures is just 10% below the rough SP101 price, that's probably the answer, especially since you had one before - assuming you liked it!
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for the Welcome.

In my research, a side arm is MUCH different than (say) buying a car and all the different makes and models out there available.
    S&W, Ruger, Taurus seem to be the most common and discussed.

What about other manufacturers?
    Charter Arms?
    Freedom Arms?
    Rossi?
    (or are these cheap alternatives to the genuine article(s)???

Also... views on purchasing new vs used?
    Last edited by TeamPitAFull; 12-30-2016 at 01:04 PM. Reason: additional info

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    989 times
    As an owner of several calibers of Taurus revolvers, and since this is a Taurus forum, I highly recommend a Taurus Revolver! (You didn't see that coming, did you?)
    NathanaelGreene likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Nah, never saw that one coming. (sarcasm)
    I see it like the Coke Vs. Pepsi debate, or Chevrolet vs Ford. Im sure all manufacturers have their merits.

Ok... so being a Taurus owner / enthusiast... what can I look at as Taurus's equivalent/ similar to the Ruger SP101/ .357 mag/ 3 inch barrel?
    I 100% open to other makes and models of similar class.

Member #
    Liked
    7883 times
    I can also understand the love for a 3 inch barrel on a .357 magnum. I feel that is the Goldilocks of gun barrel length for many uses in a revolver.

With regard to Taurus, you are looking at used, either in a model 65 (fixed sights) or model 66 (adjustable sights) for a 3" barrel. I, for one, would love to see Taurus reintroduce a 3" barrel option on these revolvers. There may be others, but these two models are the ones I normally see on Gunbroker.

P.S.: A Taurus .357 magnum with a 3" barrel is somewhat hard to find. I know, I have been searching for quite a while. Good luck in your search.
    You can call it a "impeachment inquiry" or anything else under the sun.
    Personally, there are only two ways to describe what House Democrats are doing:

Sedition, and a coup.

Plain and simple.

Member #
    Liked
    32012 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamPitAFull View Post
    What about other manufacturers?
    Charter Arms?
    Freedom Arms?
    Rossi?
    (or are these cheap alternatives to the genuine article(s)???

Also... views on purchasing new vs used?
    Charter Arms; the current production is generally regarded as well made, reliable revolvers. Not a good-looking as some others, maybe, but they will absolutely do the job and their customer service has an excellent reputation. One of these days I'm going to surprise my wife with one of the Charter Old Glory revolvers, if that tells you anything. There are plenty of Charter .357s around at good prices, but finding a 3" barrel is going to be a challenge. Most are 2.2" barrels, and some are 4.2". Of the 27 on Gunbroker right now, I don't see any 3".

Freedom Arms; there are 7 on Gunbroker right now. None are 3", and the cheapest is $2097. But the quality is second to none, from everything I've ever read.

Rossi; I've never had one. Lots of folks on this forum absolutely love theirs, though. I shared a table at a gun show recently, and overheard my friend discussing Rossi with someone. His take was that if you find a good one, they are a really good revolver at an excellent price. But he said they used to hang on to their tooling too long, so you can also find them that are much looser than they should be. Find a tight one and you've got a gem. Those were his comments. Personally, if I were you and found a brand new 3" Rossi 357, I'd be all over it. But again, 3" might be hard to find. There are 6 .357 Rossis on Gunbroker right now, and most are 2".

All of the above are the genuine article. I don't think anyone's selling .357s in the US today that I'd really worry about, safety wise. The differences between them are cosmetic (the best Rossi I looked at for this post was MUCH better looking IMHO than any of the Charters) and maybe whether your great grandchildren will inherit it (Freedom), grandchildren (Ruger, Taurus, Rossi) or children.

Two other brands you might not be aware of are Kimber and Chiappa.

Kimber just started making the K6 .357 magnum. Good reviews, more modern looking design than any others we've discussed.

Chiappa makes a very unconventional, ultra-modern .357 called the Rhino. The barrel is in front of the 6:00 cylinder chamber, not the 12:00 (top) cylinder chamber like other revolvers. Again, finding a 3" isn't going to be trivial, and these ain't cheap. They aren't Freedom Arms expensive, but you'll find Rugers for a lot less. Google it for lots more info.

New vs. used? Very much up to you. You can save a lot of money with used, especially if you're going to use it in ways that might produce some rub marks or (gasp) scratches, and don't mind that work being done by a previous owner. Ideally, you should check it out in person, using a checklist like this. https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/ta...checklist.html Lately, I've been carrying a Colt Cobra more than anything else. Bought it used on Gunbroker based on photos and the seller's rating. It arrived with a good, square cylinder, tight gap, and tight lockup. But of course caveat emptor. So buying used is a perfectly viable option.

Hope this helps! Stick around and let us know what you end up with!
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    266 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamPitAFull View Post
    I see it like the Coke Vs. Pepsi debate, or Chevrolet vs Ford. Im sure all manufacturers have their merits.
    Precisely, except Pepsi has fetal tissue in it and Smith & Wesson used to support gun control. As others have suggested, it may be wise to stick with Ruger or Taurus. Quality control on S&W revolvers seems to be a real issue these days,while Taurus are economical and have a lifetime warranty, and Rugers are about as solid as they come.
    “WAR is a racket. It always has been. It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives.” — Smedley D. Butler

Member #
    Liked
    5878 times
    Personally I'm in love with the Rossi 462. Six shot and although they are tricky to find you can get one for under $400. I happen to love the stainless but you can get the 461 in blue for only $335 all day long. Great gun, can't beat the price!

Welcome to the best gun forum on the net!

Name:  Rossi 462.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  53.6 KB
    "I can't fix stupid but I can fix stupid's dog"

Taurus PT111 G2, Taurus 709 Slim, Ruger Blackhawk .45LC/.45ACP, High Standard Double Nine .22/.22WMR, AR-15 .223/5.56 PSA, Herter's FN Mauser 30.06, Remington 572 Fieldmaster Pump .22, Savage 93R17F, Mossberg 715T, Raven P25

Member #
    Liked
    989 times
    I've always wanted a Ruger SP101, but most of my revolvers are Tauruses. I do have a Ruger Vaquero in .45ACP and it's a sweet gun!

My choice for the .357 is a Taurus 617. I have two of them, one in stainless steel and the other titanium. Sweet little 7-shot revolver, but I'm not sure they make a 3-inch. Mine are 2-inch.

You could also look at the 608 and 66, but I don't have either, so I can't comment much. You can also go with the 605. It's smaller frame than all of these and holds only 5 rounds. I don't have that, but I do have a number of other revolvers based on the same frame, including an 85 (.38-Special), 856 (.38-Special magnesium), 85 Poly (.38 as well), and 905 (9mm with moon clips). I also have the .40S&W revolver, but it's the same frame as the 617.

That can probably get you started. Problem is, once you get started, it's hard to stop. LOL.
    GhostHorse and G8R8U2 like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links