Thinking of getting the 2'' Barrel Model 856
    Member #
    Liked
    72 times

Thinking of getting the 2'' Barrel Model 856

I am thinking of getting the Model 856 in steel to use as my new carry gun. Any thoughts on this, pro or con? I like the 2'' barrel, that it holds 6 rounds of 38+P and is not too heavy(22oz.) for carry in an OWB holster.

Thanks for any input you have on this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Re: Thinking of getting the 2'' Barrel Model 856

I'd say it's a pretty good choice. I carry the Model 817 with 2" barrel, and I'm pretty happy with it. The difference can't be too big.
    NRA Life Member

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    31454 times

You won't hear an argument from me. I've read really great things about the gun, and it has one extra round with roughly the same size as the regular mod 85. What's not to like?
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    72 times

Quote Originally Posted by Steve48
    I'd say it's a pretty good choice. I carry the Model 817 with 2" barrel, and I'm pretty happy with it. The difference can't be too big.
    Steve,

The Model 817 is .357 mag, but can you shoot .38 sp. through it for practice at the range without doing any dmage to it?

And, how is the recoil?

Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    8582 times

Would you believe the 617 is the .357 magnum and the 817 is the .38 Special version? It is that way.
    Yes sir, the catalog confirms the above assertion of the 617 being the magnum and the 817 is the .38.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    31454 times

I own the 617, and I'd imagine it's just a bit longer and wider than the 856.....the 856 is still built on the smaller frame.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by RonJ
    Steve,

The Model 817 is .357 mag, but can you shoot .38 sp. through it for practice at the range without doing any dmage to it?

And, how is the recoil?
    Ron, as Quiks Draw pointed out, the 817 is a .38 SP. However, I do have .357 magnum revolvers and you definitely can shoot .38 SP from them without damage. You do have to clean them well, or you can get lead deposits in the cylinder that would make it difficult to insert the longer .357 mag cartridge.

The recoil on the 817 is strong, but not overly strong. Not the sort of thing that makes you reluctant to shoot it or develop a flinch. I suspect that a .357 mag of the same weight would be pretty bad.
    NRA Life Member

Member #
    Liked
    72 times

Quote Originally Posted by Qwiks draw
    Would you believe the 617 is the .357 magnum and the 817 is the .38 Special version? It is that way.
    Yes sir, the catalog confirms the above assertion of the 617 being the magnum and the 817 is the .38.
    Thanks for the clarification.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links