Moderating with a View
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Moderating with a View

Member #
    Liked
    31774 times

Moderating with a View

I had to celebrate becoming a moderator, because, well, because you folks are fantastic and it's great excuse to buy a handgun.

I've always found tiny guns fascinating. So the View caught my eye. Mark Kresser had a bunch of good ideas. I think I have a decent understanding of how semiautos work, but revolvers? Well the one time I took my old Detective Special apart, it seemed really, really complicated. Let's watch and see how it... oh, they're giving up on the Lexan? Oh well... It cost a bit more than I was willing to pay anyway.

Until they recalled them, replaced the sideplates with aluminum, and created a bunch of factory reconditioned revolvers that are half of the original MSRP. I found them for $270 on gunbroker. Add in shipping, and it's just under $300! Done!

But would it get here in time, before we headed off for Thanksgiving? The post office web site said yes. But the delivery FFL said no, when he called me (impressive customer service!) yesterday afternoon. But hey, we took it easy getting out of the house this morning, and he said he'd check with his friend at the post office. They got a big shipment this morning, but his friend made finding my revolver a priority.

So there I am, standing in the shop, checking out the revolver while he phones in the background check. Now I know I'm no revolver expert, but I was pretty sure the trigger was supposed to snap back forward after firing, even dry firing. Hmm. Should I send it back? My wife and four dogs are waiting out in the truck, and the box literature has a great bit "don't return to dealer" sheet in it. What to do, what to do? Heck with it, I'm not leaving it behind.

So we headed north, I got to the cabin, unpacked the truck, and took it down to the workbench. Took off the grips. Holy heck, I've seen postage stamps that are bigger than these grips. This is one tiny frame. Tiny screws too. Good thing I have a decent selection of screwdrivers up here, including some really small ones. Sideplate off. Hmm. Don't think this pin should just be floating around in there. Or that one.

I put the spring back on the pin, put one end of the pin behind the trigger, and the other end in the retention pin. Put it back together, and it's working perfectly as far as dry firing can tell!

Okay, enough blather. How about some pictures. Boy is this thing tiny!

Name:  CameraZOOM-20161119185028343.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  675.1 KB

The barrel is a rifled steel insert with a titanium shroud. The shroud is so thin, I almost wonder why they bothered. Maybe to put a corrosion-free metal on the outside, and to match the cylinder.

Name:  CameraZOOM-20161119185116228.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  487.2 KB

Boy is that ejection rod short. Seems to me they could have made it a quarter inch longer without any problems.

The sideplate fit is just okay, not great. Hmm, how hard would it be to buy some lexan and...

Name:  CameraZOOM-20161119185143629.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  614.6 KB

Yep... it says View!

Name:  CameraZOOM-20161119185354051.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  480.3 KB

There's a number etched above "made in Brazil," but there's also a number in the usual revolver location under the crane. Which is the real serial number? Because the number under the crane is one I like; got some history with that number. Just a three digit number though! Have they really made so few?

So this revolver has titanium, aluminum, chromed steel, and some sort of goldish plating on the hammer.

Name:  CameraZOOM-20161119185627583.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  511.9 KB

So now I have a very unique revolver, a bit of revolver repair experience (which makes me one in a million, since they never, ever, ever break, right!?) and two questions.

1. What the heck will shooting this thing be like? There's a thread around here about modding a boot grip, right?
    2. How the heck am I going to make a holster for this? I'm kind of thinking about wet-formed leather that just covers the barrel and half an inch of cylinder, for pocket carry.

Did I mention this thing is tiny?
    Last edited by GhostHorse; 11-19-2016 at 10:05 PM.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    15446 times
    Aside from the pictures not working sounds like you had fun. Congrats on the new toy.
    30carbine likes this.
    I don't always open carry, but when I do I prefer DeSantis.

Member #
    Liked
    5878 times
    Yeah only got the first pic. I thought you moderators had some pull with management?
    MilProGuy likes this.
    "I can't fix stupid but I can fix stupid's dog"

Taurus PT111 G2, Taurus 709 Slim, Ruger Blackhawk .45LC/.45ACP, High Standard Double Nine .22/.22WMR, AR-15 .223/5.56 PSA, Herter's FN Mauser 30.06, Remington 572 Fieldmaster Pump .22, Savage 93R17F, Mossberg 715T, Raven P25

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member Emeritus 1946-2018
    Member #
    Liked
    27595 times
    I thoroughly enjoyed your essay on The View, and was so relieved there were no pictures of Whoopi Goldberg or Joy Behar!

Congratulations again on your recent promotion, and on your celebratory acquisition of your unique Taurus View revolver.

Millennium G2 PT111
    Millennium G2 PT140
    PT92 ----- TCP PT738

Proudly Served
    US Army / Army Reserve / Mississippi State Guard

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    27079 times
    Nice looking revolver. Congrats!
    GhostHorse likes this.
    Taking this country back....one job at a time!

In memory of BUTT. Thanks for, your wisdom, your humor and your willingness to pass it on. You ARE missed.

YES, I am a "bean people" !

Member #
    Liked
    19545 times
    Congrats on your "unique" revolver! Photos look good too!
    GhostHorse likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    5950 times
    Congratulations! Can't wait to see how the holster looks.
    GhostHorse likes this.
    I'll give you to the count of three to get off my property...one, two, BANG!

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46563 times
    Congrats on the View, or I mean non-View.

When I saw the View mas being discontinued and before they said they were coming out with the non-view I went a head and bought one. It remains the only gun I have never fired that I own. I inquired with a few people I know that had ties to Taurus at the time as to why they are being discontinued. The basic response I was getting was people were taking the plate off and then when reinstalling it they were over torquing the screws and cracking the side plate. I always questioned if this was enough of a reason to discontinue it. Some follow up questioning indicated that the View side plate would become cloudy inside after firing several hundred rounds causing people to want to clean it. This could mean people would constantly be breaking side plates. Still don't know if that was the reason to discontinue them.
    GhostHorse likes this.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Taurusarmed.net Where are you map?

Member #
    Liked
    1274 times
    Cute little thing, I wish I would have bought 1 just to look at. I can see they would be handy for ultra concealment.
    GhostHorse likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2778 times
    Congrats on your new tiny wheel gun.
    GhostHorse likes this.
    I am the nicest guy on earth, Just ask me.
    Sand Lake 2014, 2015
    Wisconsin 2014, 2015, 2017
    Rapid City 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
    Non Illigitimus Carborundum

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links