Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By jeeper1

Thread: Model 431 Yoke Retaining Screw Issue

Member #
    Liked
    18 times

Need Advice: Model 431 Yoke Retaining Screw Issue

Hello,

I recently purchased a gently used Model 431 revolver. I removed the cylinder for cleaning and after re-assembly noticed some resistance when swinging out the cylinder.

It appears the screw that retains the yoke (crane) goes in a bit too far and actually binds against the rod inside.

I looked for some reference material on this forum and I found this very informative thread for the Model 85:

https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/sm...ial-guide.html

So I am wondering, where the Model 85 has a plunger and spring to retain the yoke, my Model 431 just has a plain screw. And if the screw is a bit too long it binds. Is this normal? Should I grind down the screw a few mils?

Thanks
    Steve
    Last edited by steve91104; 09-24-2016 at 06:22 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    5056 times
    For testing purposes, use a piece or two of paper under the screw head to see if that eliminates the binding. If it does shorten the screw, if it doesn't then you have a bigger problem. It might not be the screw at all.
    Your average sheet of paper is about 0.0025 inches thick, therefore 2 layers of paper is about 0.005 inches thick.
    steve91104 and Qwiks draw like this.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    31452 times
    Did you shoot the gun before taking the screw out? I'm not sure if that gun has the screw/spring like the model 85 or not, but I suppose it might be missing a spring. I'm hoping you don't have to send it back in to Taurus, their customer service seems to be overpowered these days. They used to send parts out but I'm doubtful that would happen either......I hope you find the issue.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeper1 View Post
    For testing purposes, use a piece or two of paper under the screw head to see if that eliminates the binding.
    Great idea! I did this and the binding stopped. My guess is, the groove in the yoke is maybe .001 inch to shallow and the screw bottoms out.

I fashioned a washer to fit just under the head of the screw, so it would not go in quite so far. Now after tightening up the screw, the binding problem is gone.

Thanks guys!

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Quote Originally Posted by texastaurusguy View Post
    Did you shoot the gun before taking the screw out? I'm not sure if that gun has the screw/spring like the model 85 or not, but I suppose it might be missing a spring. I'm hoping you don't have to send it back in to Taurus, their customer service seems to be overpowered these days. They used to send parts out but I'm doubtful that would happen either......I hope you find the issue.
    I, too, recently purchased a gently used Taurus revolver, M44ss6 .44 mag. As I always do with each purchase, I dismantled it for thorough cleaning and lubrication. I removed the side-plate for examination, but the front screw, the yoke retaining screw, was really stuck requiring some effort with a hardened screwdriver. I got it out, but when I re-installed the screw, it broke part way in. Uh-oh, but fortunately I was able to easily extract the broken remnant. Must have been weakened in the previous installation or during the difficult extraction (previous over-tightening or thread lock issue I wasn't aware of??). Anyway, I placed a call to Taurus (less than five minutes on hold) and told them my issue. They approved me to send the gun in for repairs. I said that I believed the gun was not actually damaged, would rather not tie up the gun in shipping, and was hoping to have the screw and yoke retaining pin with spring sent to me. Three days later I received three of each in the mail. Now, I have spares.

Sponsored Links