Taurus Model 66 (Good First Revolver?)
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Taurus Model 66 (Good First Revolver?)

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Member #
    45637
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    2
    Liked
    3 times

    Taurus Model 66 (Good First Revolver?)

    Hey guys, My name is joe and i am getting into my first revolver. i have much experience with 9mm pistols, .22 LR, and 12 gauge shotguns. I have been looking at many revolvers for hours now and i came down to final decision between two different brands the Taurus Model 66 with 6 inch barrel, or the Smith and Wesson model 686 6 inch barrel. I am leaning more towards the model 66 due to "price" concerns. if anyone can inform me about the model 66 if it is a good starter revolver or just any information that you have on it that would be great!!

    Or any other suggestions for a starting revolver would be nice also.
    MilProGuy, darbo and silverstring like this.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Member #
    15052
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    506
    Liked
    523 times
    I have just gone through the same research you have.
    I wanted a small (But not to small) .357 4" seven shot revolver to carry on my side while hog hunting.
    99% of the time this gun will be used as protection from a wounded hog while tracking in the dark "After" some other club member (or me) makes a bad shot on a hog.
    I bought the black model 66 from Buds gun shop and LOVE it!!!
    I have shot about a box of 38's and a box of .357 mag ammo through it with NO problems! The trigger is great right out of the box.

    Good luck with your new gun...............................
    MilProGuy and OLDONE like this.
    Capt Rick Hiott
    Charleston,SC

  3. #3
    Member Emeritus 1946-2018
    Member #
    12255
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    United States - Mississippi
    Posts
    35,996
    Liked
    27594 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyMart View Post
    Hey guys, My name is joe and i am getting into my first revolver. i have much experience with 9mm pistols, .22 LR, and 12 gauge shotguns. I have been looking at many revolvers for hours now and i came down to final decision between two different brands the Taurus Model 66 with 6 inch barrel, or the Smith and Wesson model 686 6 inch barrel. I am leaning more towards the model 66 due to "price" concerns. if anyone can inform me about the model 66 if it is a good starter revolver or just any information that you have on it that would be great!!

    Or any other suggestions for a starting revolver would be nice also.

    Welcome to the forum, Joe.

    The Taurus M66 revolver is one fine handgun, in my humble opinion, having owned one myself. The 7 round capacity and the adjustable sights are nice features.

    The Taurus lifetime warranty is one of the many things that keeps me coming back to the brand.

    Name:  M66 .357 Mag (2).JPG
Views: 881
Size:  251.0 KB

    Mine has the 4 inch barrel.
    ncfarmer, OLDONE and Dennis2477 like this.

    Millennium G2 PT111
    Millennium G2 PT140
    PT92 ----- TCP PT738


    Proudly Served
    US Army / Army Reserve / Mississippi State Guard






  4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Member #
    42538
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    4,396
    Liked
    4758 times
    Hi MM and welcome to the TA forum from the plains of Iowa.
    Like so many other members here, I own a M66. Mine is a 6" barrel with the old fashioned blued finish. The trigger is sweet as it comes out of the box and is supper accurate. I love the weight and balance of it too. All 66 come with adjustable sights and the 65 is identical except for having fixed sights. The Taurus grips were just fine but I opted of a fancy set of wood grips since I wasn't carrying it in the field to hunt hogs. It is my favorite handgun!
    MilProGuy, OLDONE and Dennis2477 like this.

  6. #5
    Junior Member
    Member #
    45637
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    2
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruntson View Post
    Hi MM and welcome to the TA forum from the plains of Iowa.
    Like so many other members here, I own a M66. Mine is a 6" barrel with the old fashioned blued finish. The trigger is sweet as it comes out of the box and is supper accurate. I love the weight and balance of it too. All 66 come with adjustable sights and the 65 is identical except for having fixed sights. The Taurus grips were just fine but I opted of a fancy set of wood grips since I wasn't carrying it in the field to hunt hogs. It is my favorite handgun!
    have you ever used a 4" barrel i just kind of what to know if there is a difference at all?

  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Member #
    4032
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    34,138
    Liked
    33300 times
    The 66 is as good a revolver as there is regardless of brand. It would make an excellent choice for a first revolver.




    There is nothing in life so bad or so awful that it cannot be made infinitely worse by a lawyer.


  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Member #
    37555
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Manchester, TN
    Posts
    4,530
    Liked
    6853 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyMart View Post
    have you ever used a 4" barrel i just kind of what to know if there is a difference at all?
    I have a 4", and I like it for a console gun. I had a 6 at one time that I used for a range gun. For target, plinking and sport shooting, I prefer the 6", but that two inches makes all the difference in the world if you wear the gun. Atleast for me. It is a great gun. I have a S&W and have had Ruger. There are things I really liked about all of them, but the Taurus has been my favorite shooter.
    MilProGuy and Dennis2477 like this.
    1. Muzzle Controll: Always point in a safe direction
    2. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    3. Keep it unloaded until ready to use.
    4. Know your target and what is beyond.


    There is nothing so rewarding as to make people realize that they are worthwhile in this world.

  9. #8
    Administrator

    Member #
    2203
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    33,593
    Liked
    31298 times
    I absolutely love my 4 inch stainless model 66. It would be a great first revolver for anybody.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

    When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

    NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Member #
    19476
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    SW PA
    Posts
    757
    Liked
    711 times
    I agree with all the above posts. I have one with a 4 inch barrel and love it. I have 2 686's and they are great revolvers but for the money and your first revolver you can't go wrong with the M66. It isn't quite as heavy as the 586/686 (more like a Model 19) so it is a little less heft to carry.

    Welcome to the forum and good luck with whatever you decide to go with.
    ETF and OLDONE like this.
    ”A free people ought to be armed.”
    - George Washington

    "No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often. "
    - Theodore Roosevelt

    Remember Duane Allman


    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation

    PT 738 TCP
    PT 24/7 G2 40
    PT 111 G2
    M66
    M608

  11. #10
    Senior Member
    Member #
    28135
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    North Kingstown, rhode island
    Posts
    2,418
    Liked
    2176 times
    If you like a 66 and it fits you budget. BUY IT!! You will not be disappointed!
    Ruger GP100 5", 10-22, 738TCP, Sears bolt .22, Mossberg 500 20ga, gsg1911 .22, CZ75b, R92 .357 mag

 

 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Whats good Ammo for the model 905 9mm Revolver
    By caryg in forum Taurus Revolvers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-13-2013, 07:32 PM
  2. Taurus Model 405 .40 S&W revolver
    By 38superuser in forum Taurus Revolvers
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-05-2011, 09:42 PM
  3. WTB or TF a Taurus Model 450 Revolver
    By Buckeye! in forum Firearms
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-09-2011, 08:18 PM
  4. 6" barrel Taurus Model 66. Good first revolver?
    By VegasTaurus in forum Taurus Revolvers
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-09-2008, 07:49 AM

Tags for this Thread