New to me Taurus M44 blue 4" RANT
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

New to me Taurus M44 blue 4" RANT

Just receive my new to me M44 Taurus on Tuesday, bought her off of Gun broker 115444461 from what might be the poster child for buyer beware. Pictures in the add show a like new M44 with a jeweled trigger and hammer. My nether regions began to tingle as I had been thinking of buying a tracker 44 mag to hang out with my Raging Bull 44mag. Then I saw her 6 shots of .44, dark blue on the tracker sized frame, finger grooved grips, jeweled trigger and hammer. For 375$ + 40$ shipping 35$ transfer and FFL she would be mine! She was not what was in the picture, or the cylinder had been rotated to not show the missing finish in a few spots, or the knot on the front sight where she had been dropped, even the sloppy ill fit Hogue rubber stocks didn't bring me down. The 8# double action 1/2# single action trigger did however concern me slightly. When I took her out back for a little alone time she wouldn't fire, I was using some of the factory Remington ammo that I had bought for the Raging Bull a couple of years ago. Not that the .44 doesn't get shot I reload, butt keep factory ammo close at hand for the off chance I may need it. After walking in circles for a while to cool off I made my way back to the house, to check this trigger lock out had never used the one on the other .44, so I wasn't sure how it worked. It was not the problem, I was looking at both guns side by side when I happened to notice that the trigger block safety was missing . E-mailed the gun shop it came from . I called Taurus I knew that they had a warranty but the man from CS told me to ship her back they would replace the needed parts no problem. I will most likely send it back to Taurus next week. Does any one have one of these I have noticed that they are not many grips or holsters for this model. I found some grips at midway with a 30 day wait for 65-130$ I haven't found a holster as of yet any help would be appreciated. I have had nothing butt problems so far butt I'm hopeful this gun seems to fit my hand better than any gun that I own or have owned and is balanced better than you would think almost 6# loaded should be. Sorry for the long post I had some things to get off of my chest. This gun can't end up all bad it led me here. Also if you have a picture or two that you dont mind sharing it will help me while she is gone.
    I'll keep my freedom, money and guns you can keep the change!!

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33281 times

Re: New to me Taurus M44 blue 4" RANT

I really like my M44. Mine is SS with a 6.5 inch barrel. It's a terrific shooter. I hope when you get your's back you'll find this to be the case for you as well. I'll post a picture of mine with the Houge wood grips below. If this had happened to me, I'd be publishing the name of the gun shop that sold me that piece without disclosing it's defects. Not only is that unethical, but it could get someone seriously hurt. They should have fixed the gun before selling it or sold it as "as is" being very specific as to what was wrong with it. Instead they just passed along a problem to someone else for fully price. Yeah, I'd be going out of my way to make sure everybody on every gun forum new about this shop and how it does business. I would, however, give the gun shop a chance to correct their mistake before laying them open to the world. Anyway, I hope it all turns out well for you.

There is nothing in life so bad or so awful that it cannot be made infinitely worse by a lawyer.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    30376 times

That's why I only buy FTF and I wanna TRY the gun, check timing, end shake, gap at forcing cone, etc. I won't even order new handguns anymore, no matter the brand. I wanna see it and check it out first. I've gotten some good Taurus deals at gun shows and KNOW what I'm getting because I check it out before tossing cash.

Revolvers can be pretty well checked for function without firing a shot. It's tough to check out an auto other than finish, but I've been pretty lucky with autos, ain't bought a turkey, yet, though I don't HAVE that many autos. LOL Last one I picked up was at a gun show, a Ruger MkII, and it's been awesome.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    51 times

I'll second posting the name of the place on Gunbroker who sold this too you. I'd also hammer them in the feedback section there.

Yes, Taurus will fix it but I understand how it pisses you off to order a new gun and what you got was something else.

For holsters, I'd think most of the N frame holsters will work as the M44 is on Taurus's large frame. Yes, the RB is bigger but this gun pre-dates it. Sorry but I can't help much with grips.

Steelheart
    USCCA, NRA & GOA member http://www.appleseedinfo.org/ Basic Rifle Marksmanship with some neat history thrown in.

Ace
    Member #
    Liked
    686 times

midway has grips for the m44, that's who I ordered mine from.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

If you guys care to look at her The auction # that I have in my original post should let you take a look. No it wasn't supposed to be new, less than 50 rounds through the gun. Have not given the dealer any crap yet I have e-mailed him and he says that he knows the owner personally and will try to make it right (WE WILL SEE!!!) If Taurus comes through with the parts I may only be out of shipping cost. I could live with that, this revolver fits my hand so good I cant wait to work some loads up for it. If I can get it back before it gets warm I may get to go hog hunting with it. I have quite a few antler with my TC 25-06 would like a necklace of tusk's with the M44.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33281 times

Well, it's a nice looking gun! I hope you get it worked out. Once fixed it should be a nice piece.

There is nothing in life so bad or so awful that it cannot be made infinitely worse by a lawyer.

JR
    Member #
    Liked
    8672 times

Apparently, it's not Taurus that is to blame here. Sounds like a spring set to "smooth the trigger pull" was added, and perhaps a couple of "extra parts" were left-over from the operation, as well.

Look at the ammunition you used, and see if there's an imprint of the firing pin, and how deep it goes. Light firing pin strikes occur with unmatched springs. If this is what is occurring, make sure that you tell Taurus about it. The least that the Shop should do is reimburse you for shipping to and from Taurus.
    "The past is another country, he did things differently there."

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

No I don't blame Taurus in any way, just some home made trigger job by someone that should have his screwdriver and hammer taken from him. No light strikes on the primers, the hammer drop safety has been removed and the firing pin will not come through the frame. You can pull the trigger with no bullets in the chamber and watch the firing pin it never goes past flush in the frame. Yes the gun is the first blue gun that I have owned in quite a few years. I really like how it looks and feels. I'm 6'5", 280# and if I can find a little fatter wood grip to help unbind my trigger finger I may have found my perfect pistol. Is their only one other member with a M44? Nice looking pistol by the way.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times

Quote Originally Posted by Steelheart
    I'll second posting the name of the place on Gunbroker who sold this too you. I'd also hammer them in the feedback section there.
    i'm with that, those of us who use Gunbroker need to know anyone up there that is being "less than honest"

BTW, i'd post my .44 pic, but it looks just like BigSkiff's, only mine is bone stock
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links