does a 455 shoots 45 super ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: does a 455 shoots 45 super ?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

does a 455 shoots 45 super ?

Hey guys I'm new to revolvers, I decide to own Taurus 455 SS2 as my first revolver. I enjoy shooting a 45 ACP with my small revolver. But I need some knowledge from experts.

Can this revolver stand a 45 ACP P+ , 45 Super and 45 Magnum?

They all have the same diameter and the longer one fits the extra gap in the chamber but I don't want my revolver to explode by high pressure !
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Member #
    Liked
    5039 times
    45 acp maximum pressure is 21,000 psi
    45 acp +p maximum pressure is 23,000 psi
    45 super maximum pressure is 28,000 psi and .377 inches longer than the 45 acp.
    45 magnum maximum pressure is 40,000 psi and .677 inches longer than the 45 acp.

Source is Wikipedia

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the information Jeeper1.
    But how do I know if my revolver will stand 28000 or 40000 PSI ?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    454 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansary85 View Post
    Thanks for the information Jeeper1.
    But how do I know if my revolver will stand 28000 or 40000 PSI ?
    Generally it would say so on the barrel, or in the owner's manual.

I would think you're safe with .45 ACP +P, since Taurus says in their owner's manual that all their .45 ACP guns can handle .45 ACP +P. But I would certainly not expect it to be able to handle the higher pressures of .45 Super or .45 Win Mag unless it said so in the manual or had those cartridge names engraved on the barrel.
    treg, jwc007 and skimp like this.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the help. Maybe it can handle the .45 super since there is not much difference between the p+ and the super.

Member #
    Liked
    814 times
    Why? As you point out, there is not that much difference between the 45 ACP +P and the 45 Super, but there is a difference (about 20% higher - you do the math), and the 455 is not rated for 45 Super. Additionally, I'd wager that is costs a bunch more, and is had to find. Its just barely out of the wildcat status. The 455's are getting harder to come by and I'd sure hate to see one get beat up running 45 Super, damaged, destroyed......or worse.

Serious mods are done to 45's to run this cartridge safely. Why run a hot cartridge in a gun that's not rated for it.

But its your gun, your hands, eyes, etc. Do us a favor and don't shoot it near anyone.
    jtg452, treg, skimp and 3 others like this.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.” ― Ronald Reagan

Milford Hills, WI 2014 Sand Lake, TX 2015 Hawthorne, FL 2015

Member #
    Liked
    8506 times
    .45 +P is normally used for semi-auto pistols. It might be wise to stick with standard pressure rounds for safety reasons. Otherwise catastrophic results can happen.

I have .44 Special revolvers on the same frame and use only standard pressure rounds for it for the same reasons.

The .45 caliber revolvers means there will be a little more metal shaved out of the cylinder to fit the rounds versus the .44 Specials. That means the safety factor for +P rounds may well not be there.

I have never seen a +P designation for the .45 caliber revolvers on this frame in the many years of perusing Taurus revolver owner manuals.

It would also be a good idea to give Taurus Customer Service number at 1-800-327-3776 and talk with the tech about.

If you are wrong you have only yourself to blame should the gun come apart.

+P if nothing happens will also batter the revolver due to the higher pressures exerted by such ammo. Is it worth the accelerated wear and tear on the revolver for little gain?

With modern gun powders and some research into modern loads I can find .44 Special loads that are excellent field and defense rounds without having to resort to +P pressures or something like it. The same can be said for the .45 calibers.

I am just saying please be careful.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gcsteve285 View Post
    Why? As you point out, there is not that much difference between the 45 ACP +P and the 45 Super, but there is a difference (about 20% higher - you do the math), and the 455 is not rated for 45 Super. Additionally, I'd wager that is costs a bunch more, and is had to find. Its just barely out of the wildcat status. The 455's are getting harder to come by and I'd sure hate to see one get beat up running 45 Super, damaged, destroyed......or worse.

Serious mods are done to 45's to run this cartridge safely. Why run a hot cartridge in a gun that's not rated for it.

But its your gun, your hands, eyes, etc. Do us a favor and don't shoot it near anyone.
    Thanks for the advice . Sure I won't try it, I just need to get some info from you guys first.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you so much. I'll call them.

Member #
    Liked
    8506 times
    No problem. That's what we're here in part to do.

If you don't ask one cannot learn or be educated and ALL of us had to start out at the beginning.

Taurus has this.

Ammunition Guide - Taurus International

This might be of limited use but is a good one to book mark or download.

Here's another from SAAMI.

If you go to SAAMI | Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute, scroll down to "Informational Brochures". Scroll down that list until you get to "Unsafe Arms and Ammo Combinations. Then download that puppy. No it won't cost anything.

This has all of the cartridges ,calibers, and what ammo and firearms combos not to use.

It was updated in 2012.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links