any suggestions for a 455?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

any suggestions for a 455?

I just picked up a used 455 2" stainless .45acp revolver. I've put about 30 rounds through it so far and I'm impressed. I plan on using this as my CCW. I've got a couple of questions:

1) Should I pull the access plate to inspect the workings? If so, how would I go about that? What should I be looking for? Is there an internet site that would explain that?

2) Is it a good idea to put a new set of springs in this? If so, which ones would you recommend? Is this something I can do myself?

3) Any other suggestions about maintenance or smithing?

Thanks for your time,

Chuck

Member #
    Liked
    10 times

Re: any suggestions for a 455?

Congrats on a great find. Unless you see some indications of trouble I would not open it up. As far as the springs go- same answer. Maintenance is keeping it clean, moderately lubricated and not trying to make a magnum out of it. Other then possibly changing grips (if you want) I would just enjoy it. IMHO.
    "You can tune a piano but you can't tuna fish"

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

you can just sell it to me and i'll take good care of it. i've been looking for one for a while for now.
    Iraq Veteran and proud papa my baby girl and soon to be dad of a baby boy.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Dumb question but size wise what does this revolver compare to?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

It's a good question...

It is very similar to the Smith mdl 396 Night Guard in .44 special.

My 455 is a 2" 5 shot medium frame stainless in .45acp. It's 6 3/4" in length and weighs about 24 oz., is about 5" high and 1.5 inches wide. I believe it's still listed on the Taurus website...but I'm pretty sure it's been discontinued. I'm glad I have one.

Best regards,

Chuck

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Not familiar with those. Compared to a K-frame Smith (Model 10), J-frame or typical .38 snub, etc?

I've heard it compared to a Charter Arms Bulldog .44 but then I've never handled one of those either.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Maybe closest to the mdl 10 which is a medium frame. I think it has a 4" barrel and weighs in at around 36 oz. The 455 is a size larger than the smith j-frame or the Taurus 605.

You can see a similar picture if you go to the "Score, got a 445 stainless" (44 spc.) thread.

It is concealable, it shoots the .45acp, it fits my hand perfectly, and shoots to point of aim.

chuck

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

If it's not broken. Why fix?
    Right Meow?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

It's my first Taurus. Based upon the posts I've seen here, folks sometimes take the plate off for an inspection, etc., especially because it's used. Swapping out stock springs isn't uncommon in revolvers. This will be my self-defense piece and I want to know the drill...is there anything other than running a couple hundred rounds through it to be confident of its function. I've never owned a smith j-frame either, so I would be asking the same question on their forum site.

Chuck

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

I looked all over the internet for photos and articles about the inner workings of my taurus revolver and I only found one photo. It gave a detailed view of what things look like without taking the cover plate off. Gosh, you'd think if anything inside the gun was shot you'd be able to detect by checking things like end shake, make sure it's in time. Check the distance between chamber and forcing cone for all cylinder holes. make sure the ejection rod isn't bent. When you cock the hammer does the cyilnder lock in place or do you have to move it some. I bet it would be a good Idea to have it a thorough cleaning. I've never pulled the side off my gun, I was afraid a spring would fly out and I wouldn't know where to put it.
    Right Meow?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links