• 1 Post By jtg452
  • 1 Post By jtg452

Thread: Asking For Advice About Reload Technique

Member #
    Liked
    14 times

Talking Asking For Advice About Reload Technique

Hello, everyone!

I want some advice from you about the technique to reload a revolver.

I am not born left-handed, but I usually use my left hand to shoot. Here is some pics I took to show you the method I am using. I am seeking your advice to improve my skill.

Disclaimer: In these pictures, my revolver (Taurus Model 65B4) is loaded with home-made dummy round. No live round is loaded in my revolver.

Name:  LeftyReload01.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  30.2 KB

After I shot the 6th round, I use my left index finger to push the cylinder release latch while my supporting hand (right hand) move forward to grab the cylinder. (In this pic, my right hand is clicking the mouse on my desk. )

Name:  LeftyReload02.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  35.7 KB

After the cylinder release latch was pushed, my right thumb push the cylinder out and stay on one of the flutes of the cylinder. Meanwhile, my right middle finger and ring finger catch the cylinder and stay on the other flute of the cylinder.

Name:  LeftyReload04.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  31.3 KBName:  LeftyReload05.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  29.7 KB

I turn the revolver muzzle up, and my right index finger push the ejector rod. My left hand leaves and goes for ammo.

Name:  LeftyReload06.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  39.9 KB

After spent casings were dropped, I turn the revolver muzzle down and insert my cartridges into the chambers.

To be continued...... (Because I can only insert 5 image files per post, I will continue in the next post.)

Member #
    Liked
    14 times

Talking

Continue......

Name:  LeftyReload07.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  37.8 KBName:  LeftyReload08.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  37.3 KBName:  LeftyReload09.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  36.4 KB

After cartridges were inserted, I let the speedloader fall to the ground. My right fingers push the cylinder back to the frame of the revolver. Meanwhile, my left hand goes back to the grip.

Name:  LeftyReload10.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  32.6 KB

After the cylinder back to its position, my right hand return to support my left hand.

Member #
    Liked
    3458 times
    I don't see anything wrong with that process, if it works for you. I am right handed, so it is different for me. But what I see is that you have the revolver fully supported when you go to reload from start to finish, you have fluid motions from one step to the next, and you get right back into shooting position without any wasted steps. What more can you ask for - except with my 66, I have to reload after 7 shots!
    stevenkong1976 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    85 times
    Technique looks OK. If it works for you, go for it. Here's something you might find a VERY good source of information. Look for the book "The Snubby Revolver" (a small paperback) by Ed Lovette. He's an ex-cop and FBI trainer. The book is a treasure-trove of revolver-centric info including handling, loading, shooting, ammunition and on and on. You will NOT be disappointed. And it's not very long nor expensive. I read it last year and it has a LOT of good info in it while not being too long.
    -- Robert

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    18068 times
    You have the procedure right and with practice your speed will increase. Have fun.

Member #
    Liked
    7516 times
    I'm left handed and what I do (from a 2 hand hold) is after the last round is fired, my right thumb goes over the hammer and hits the cylinder latch as my middle finger pushes on the cylinder. My right thumb then goes through the cylinder window of the frame and I grab the cylinder between my finger and thumb as I rotate it barrel up. My left hand smacks the ejector rod briskly as it goes to the belt or pocket to get the speed loader. I rotate the gun muzzle down and to the right as I bring it closer to my body and drop it to about even with my diaphragm/ lower chest. My left hand has the speed loader grasped my fingers and thumb with my fingers slightly ahead of the tips of the bullets- sort of like the way you have the speedloader in PICTURE #4 but deeper in the hand with the bullets aligned with my fingers. The rounds get chambered, the speedloader release is activated (knob turned, speedloader body pushed, ...), the speedloader gets dropped as I regain my shooting grip and my right hand closes the cylinder. Once the cylinder is closed, my right hand rotates back to the support position and I'm ready to rock.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times

Smile Thank you for all of your inputs!

Quote Originally Posted by HD-Mike View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with that process, if it works for you. I am right handed, so it is different for me. But what I see is that you have the revolver fully supported when you go to reload from start to finish, you have fluid motions from one step to the next, and you get right back into shooting position without any wasted steps. What more can you ask for - except with my 66, I have to reload after 7 shots!
    It seems smooth in pictures because I do it one step after another step; However, when I actually do it, I did not do it as smooth as I wanted, and I did not support my revolver as firm as I should.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo View Post
    Technique looks OK. If it works for you, go for it. Here's something you might find a VERY good source of information. Look for the book "The Snubby Revolver" (a small paperback) by Ed Lovette. He's an ex-cop and FBI trainer. The book is a treasure-trove of revolver-centric info including handling, loading, shooting, ammunition and on and on. You will NOT be disappointed. And it's not very long nor expensive. I read it last year and it has a LOT of good info in it while not being too long.
    Thank you for that recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    I'm left handed and what I do (from a 2 hand hold) is after the last round is fired, my right thumb goes over the hammer and hits the cylinder latch as my middle finger pushes on the cylinder. My right thumb then goes through the cylinder window of the frame and I grab the cylinder between my finger and thumb as I rotate it barrel up. My left hand smacks the ejector rod briskly as it goes to the belt or pocket to get the speed loader. I rotate the gun muzzle down and to the right as I bring it closer to my body and drop it to about even with my diaphragm/ lower chest. My left hand has the speed loader grasped my fingers and thumb with my fingers slightly ahead of the tips of the bullets- sort of like the way you have the speedloader in PICTURE #4 but deeper in the hand with the bullets aligned with my fingers. The rounds get chambered, the speedloader release is activated (knob turned, speedloader body pushed, ...), the speedloader gets dropped as I regain my shooting grip and my right hand closes the cylinder. Once the cylinder is closed, my right hand rotates back to the support position and I'm ready to rock.
    Some people push their ejector rod with shooting hand while some people preferred to use their supporting hand. I am trying both ways to find a way that works best for me.
    Also, align the cartridges when holding the speedloader.....thank you for mention it and I will try to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by AOCM.RET View Post
    You have the procedure right and with practice your speed will increase. Have fun.
    Thank you. As I said above, I am still not able to do smooth .....I did not record my reloading time, but I estimate that I need about six seconds to do the whole thing.......

Member #
    Liked
    7516 times
    I hit the ejector rod sharply with the palm of my hand (it ends up contacting the palm side of the knuckle of my first finger) to ensure a more positive ejection of the empties. I got the idea from a Mas Abyoob article I read in '90 or '91. A slightly oversized or dirty chamber can cause the empties to stick and a snappy ejection helps get them clear. I use my left hand to do the ejection because I'm doing all the loading with it. Loading with the non dominant hand never made sense to me because you are asking your 'dumb' hand to do some pretty fine motor work aligning the cartridges to the chambers. Since I'm using a 'right handed' revolver that opens to the left, I figure I ought to use that design 'flaw' to my advantage and use my 'smart' hand to do all the fiddly work. Since I'm breaking my shooting grip anyhow and my shooting hand is so close to the ejector, I figured it would be faster just to work the ejector rod with it.

I also tried to minimize the motions when I started working on how to reload a wheelgun (back in the pre-Utube days) and tried to work out what was the fastest way for me. There's too many 'right ways' to do it for anybody to say that their way is the best. Break down the procedure into its' component motions and keep playing with it until you find what works for you.
    Last edited by jtg452; 03-21-2014 at 10:16 AM.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Sponsored Links