Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Taurus M44 lfe expectancy

10K views 26 replies 23 participants last post by  Buckeye! 
#1 ·
Hello, I purchased a M44 last year, (fun gun to shoot ) went back to my local gun dealer to purchase more ammo, He asked how I like the new gun, and then told me, I need to be careful, this gun is not a ruger or S&W 44. I should not shoot it alot.. I have been running CCI Blazer ammuntion through it. Question,, Is it to hot to be shooting out of a Taurus M44 ? if so, what ammunition should I be using ? I have been looking for 44 special ammo locally, but its hard to come by. Any recommendations ? If I was to continue to use the 44 Mag Blazers in this revolver, am I putting myself or others in danger ?
Thanks for the info,
Stevie

#3 ·
I think your gun dealer wants to sell you another gun and wants you to think the M44 is no good because it is a Taurus. I have the 44SS8 which is the same, and I shoot full load 44 magnums in it all the time. I bought it 11 months ago and have put about 500 rounds down range and I see no problems and don't expect none. I reload my own running a 300 gr. Nosler bullet at 1430 FPS and I also use a lead 240 gr. bullet I run at 1442 FPS. If you are going to use factory loads I would stay with the 240gr or less bullets, running below 1500 FPS, if you are doing a lot of target shooting. ....that's just my opinion, others will have theirs.

#4 ·
There is no "danger" whatsoever. IF, a BIG IF, a revolver were to show wear from firing LOTS of factory ammo it would be in the form of "loosening up" and would be noticeable with no DANGER.

With few exceptions handguns do not reach some magical point and then detonate or create a hazard.

#7 ·
In all likelihood, that gun will be in your kids hands before you have to worry and then you don't have to worry

#9 ·
I heard the same thing on the internet from some guy who's cousins, nephew's, brother-in-law's, co-worker's, cousin heard somewhere.

Taurus haters know I'm on them like a cheap suit! ;)

#10 ·
That fine piece of iron you bought will get handed down in your family, the guy telling you it is dangerous is an idiot, and likely more dangerous than any revolver. Gun snobs are like wine snobs: they want you to pay up for status. If you want status, that's great. If you want a revolver that will outlive you, keep that one.

Reactions: leejack
#13 ·
Next time you visit that shop, ask him how many M44s he has seen (not heard about) come apart or become hazardous. I'll bet he has never seen one! The M44 is as stout as the Smith N frame (M29/629) and with it's life time warranty there is no worry about durability.

#14 ·
If he was that concerned about your safety, why did he sell you the Taurus in the first place.

BTW I have a Model 44 and a 441 and use them both for backup guns when I am hog hunting. I like shooting the 44 spl in the model 441 for the lighter recoil, but but both work just fine.

#15 ·
I also have a M44. I've run a few thousand rounds through it with out any problems what so ever. I also have a Ruger Super Blackhawk and when I purchased the M44, I also owned a S&W 629. I have since sold the 629 because the M44 has a nicer finish, a better trigger, and is equally as accurate as the 629. It's a great revolver and it's very well made. Your dealer is just another one of those guys that has let legendary BS become reality in his mind.

#19 ·
They suck. Very dangerous. I'll give you $50 for it and save you the danger... of passing that revolver down to your kids, and their kids, and their kids....

He's right about one thing though; it's no Ruger or S&W. Ruger and S&W should be so lucky as to have a Mark Kresser at the helm. Give me the Taurus every time.

Reactions: Cariwine
#20 ·
Shoot it to your hearts desire.

I know S&W 29s have a reputation of loosening up a good deal after a bunch of full power loads...

But..

You got a lifetime warranty man!

Sounds like mr gunstoreguy wants to make more money off a new Ruger. Or is an elitist gun snob. Or both.

Some people just can't accept the fact that Taurus, although they've had their share of problems, is making some pretty good firearms these days.

#23 ·
I don't think the gun shop guy is a hater. I think that he is a salesman (probably on commission) that thinks that he can make another sale by putting doubt into the mind of the OP. If another customer came in looking for a .44 and didn't want to pay the price of the S&W or Ruger, you can bet he would show him the Taurus or Rossi and sing it's praises to him.

#25 ·
LOL, you should ask him why the Taurus revolver was called "an improved S&W" back when they were both owned by the same parent company? Then ask him if he knows which of the 3 pistol frames are cast steel and which are forged steel and which is stronger?

Then, if you are in the South (or from the South), after he flails around trying to answer the questions, just look him in the eye and say, "My, aren't you special."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.