Hornady lever evaluation ammo in 650 CIA
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Hornady lever evaluation ammo in 650 CIA

Bought a new blued 650 CIA 357 the other day, ran a bunch on 10x target ammo through it along with some doubletap 38 + p. the gun ran with out a hitch! All I could find locally for some carry ammo was Hornady lever evaluation 140 gr ftx rounds. Running the Hornady ammo I had all sorts of issues, felt like the gun was binding up, trigger wouldn't function and the cylinder was loose and would rotate but felt really tight......this was after two shots. I emptied the gun and rotated the cylinder after closing...once it locked back up I ran some more of the target ammo and once again it ran perfectly. Anyone else used the lever ammo from Hornady with any luck.....or has anyone had issues with their small frames not handling full strength 357 loads? I watched some gel tests on you tube with the lever ammo and it was not impressive at all....looks like out of the short barrels it's not moving fast enough to expand.

Member #
    Liked
    10371 times
    The LeverEvolution round is designed for a lever action rifle. Try using Hornady Critical Defense or Custom. I would not shoot any more of the LeverEvolution through a revolver.
    A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself. Josh Billings
    One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain. Bob Marley
    To conquer a nation, first disarm it's citizens. Adolf Hitler
    I like my whisky old and my women young. Errol Flynn

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Copy that, I thought I would give it a try since it was all I could find. Any one else had any issues with the CIA 650 shooting full power 357 loads? Im thinking it was the ammo's fault not the guns, the Ten X ammo is pretty light for a 357....can't find any other factory loaded ammo right now to try out the theory.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    8331 times
    I'm just glad we're not calling you "left" today!

Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    are the "flex tips" sticking out the front of the cylinder when loaded with Leverevolution?

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    Never tried it in a wheel gun, but thanks for posting this so others might think twice about using it. 44wcf has a good point also check and see if the primers backed out causing lock up.

Member #
    Liked
    110 times
    It runs fine in a 605. But I agree... stick with the crit Defense and fxt stuff.
    NRA Member
    Support the NRA. 100% of us enjoy the freedoms paid for by 3% of gun owners.
    Fight for your rights! Exercise your rights!

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    So from what I can see the brass on the leverevolution is a little shorter than all my other 357 an the rim is a little thicker......its marked 357 mag just like all the rest as well as 357 mag on the box. Hornady advertises it for use in lever guns and revolvers, I put I in the cylinder and trying to spin the cylinder with this ammo in it causes it to hang up same in my other double actions. I know its not the gun, bought some doubletap's and they are quite bit hotter than the hornady and they run just fine. The flex tips are not catching looks like its the thick rim on the leverevoltions. Emailed horndy but no reply as of yet.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Impressed with Hornady's customer service, contacted me and they want me to ship the ammo back and they will replace it for me! Love it when a company still cares about the customer!

Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    ship it back? isn't that going to cost as much as a box of ammo?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links