Taurus 94 problems
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Taurus 94 problems

Member #
    Liked
    81 times

Taurus 94 problems

So, despite numerous bad reviews I have read, I went out and bought a new model 94 2" stainless. In hopes it would be as good as my Pre lock 94 made in 1992 (which shoots o the left no mater how much sight adjustment was mad) but that's a different story. Anyway got it home and cleaned it up. Took to range and after 9 shots and a horrible trigger, I reloaded and it locked up. Cyl Was binding. Thinking it was from fouling I took home, cleaned, and shot some CBs off the back porch. Worked fine. Went back to range and loaded Lr and it did the dame thing. Cyl locking up, can pull trigger really hard and work out but continue to binds. I thing it boils down to the leaver that turns the cylinder, the grooves in the star thing look pretty rough. Like it was a shitty finish.

So I sent back to Taurus and they said it will be 4-5 week lead time on repair. At this point I'm really disappointed in Taurus QC. Customer service seemed nice enough but what the hell!!! Should I have spent the extra money and got a ruger or smith?

For those who have had a 94 with issues and sent them back to Taurus, what were your experiences? Did it get fixed properly? Please let me know your thoughts.

Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    The Taurus revolvers I have owned....I have had to "adjust" myself, but after working-out the kinks....they were very good shooters and as smooth as any Smith I own. I gave up on sending one back home, as long as the problem did not seem catastrophic. Most every one I have owned has been very roughly machined in the area of the recoil shield. Burrs, nicks and just plain out-of square. I have usually cured round-dragging problems by re-working the recoil shield. Sometimes a fine file and some "hand-machining" are in order to remove tool-marks, or burrs which cause the rounds to drag and basically lock-up the gun as it became hotter through firing. On the 94's....a spring change is definitely in order and the trigger can be tamed. Some issues with the 22's are centered around BTCG (barrel-to-cylinder-gap). I find the gaps to be very tight and the cylinder will tend to lock-up once the forcing-cone area becomes fouled.

Who knows in your case, maybe there is an internal issue that needs attention. I have usually been lucky enough to tweak mine and make them work.
    Last edited by 1550vt; 08-17-2012 at 08:32 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    29646 times
    Post #1? ... OK

Welcome aboard from
    Florida the "GunShine" state.

Once you get the "bugs" worked out you will enjoy you M-94.

I have the identical gun and mine's a keeper.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

JR
    Member #
    Liked
    8677 times
    Taurus QC? At the risk of seeming uncaring, the FINAL QC to fit and finish issues is you. Why did you buy a gun that had these obvious fit problems? Ruger and S&W have the exact same QC issues, believe me. Hand fitting is a dead issue today for all but the most expensive guns.

Next purchase, take a set of feeler gauges with you, some snap caps, and a small, bright light. Check the fit and finish BEFORE you buy. I have a pair of Model 94s, one blue, one stainless, and a blue Model 941. All have had a serious DA trigger pull. I checked each one's barrel.cylinder gap before purchase, used the light to check the charge holes, barrel, forcing cone, and extractor star. While Taurus has little problems with improper forcing cone cuts, S&W is famous for it.

The Snap Caps are used to check for undersize charge holes. I also look for shiny spots on the recoil shield, sides of the hammer, and so on.

It's cleaned inside and out before shooting, and properly lubed. Then, we have some marathon dry-firing sessions with the Snap-Caps on board. This enables the parts to mate, and the trigger to lose some of the Herculean effort required to fire the gun.

My single use of Taurus' Warranty found the gun properly repaired.

Checking ANY brand of gun today, PRIOR to purchase is simple good sense. As the demand has exploded over the past four years, QC has slipped.

Member #
    Liked
    229 times
    I have the M94SS with a 2" barrel. Super little pistol. I use it for practice for my 38 snubs.

The trigger pull is hard BUT not prohibitive. It's not near as bad as I was originally led to believe. Not as smooth as my Detective Special but with a little practice it's quite manageable.

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    I had the same issue with a ultra light nine,

randomly lock up for no reason, several hours trying to solve the problem without factory assistance.I finally noticed the hammer safety pin that runs through the hammer was the culprit. I removed that pin and safety, not a single up since.

the pin was so loose it would slide to the left enough to catch the cylinder release inside the frame.
    bunch of dry fires and some wolf springs eased the trigger up nicely.

Member #
    Liked
    1274 times
    Have had my 941 UL do this at times, happened yesterday in fact. Mine seems to do it on 2 or 3 chambers of cylinder next to each other. I have always seen daylight in cylinder to barrel gap and have always fixed mine by cleaning under star extractor. After thinking about it for awhile , it seems to happen when shooting cheap ammo and not when shooting CCI. I bought 2 bricks of PMC for $7.00 abox 2 years ago and that is what seems to cause the problem. It is dirtier than my good ammo and possibly something gets under the star when I extract the empties, cleaning under the star takes care of my problem for several cylinders.

Member #
    Liked
    2386 times
    Just for reference.....mc678 came and went.....so far.
    I am NOT taking up for Taurus and I have no real idea or proof that mc678
    had a problem for real......
    I am not judging him and his complaint.......but it appears to me somewhat fishy.....
    if you don't stay with the thread for follow up...especially if you are new AND have 1 post !
    Please forgive me if what I say seems negative, it is not my intention.....and can be verified.
    My first [?] post here was about the problem I had with my new 608 and I got my a** jumped on
    immediately by TTG for being a troll and Taurus hater......[brother, I say this only as a reference]
    Of course, he was his normal sweet self [] and apologized after a few words between us.
    My point is, I guess, this OP ain't hangin' for any follow up....at least not yet, and that in
    itself sends up a flag for me......[I didn't let TTG get away with 'profiling' me....]
    I stayed and explained myself.
    [TTG even turned out to be a decent **** over time.........not that any of you would have noticed.]

Member #
    Liked
    2386 times
    BTW, My 94 5"SS [2004] has the sharpest edges on the hammer spur
    of anything I have ever owned..or used....
    The springs almost need a come-a-long to cock her......
    BUT, in 8 yrs she has more than proven to be one-helluva-shooter !!!
    I've had factory grips [duh], Hogue finger grips [small], Pink grips, and
    a couple others on her.....But NEVER touched her sight screws with a screwdriver........
    even thought of putting some springs from a 605 in her.......
    TRUTH !!!!......what .22lr bulk my $700 M63 S&W won't fire in DA......
    my 94 has...EVERYTIME !!!!!

Member #
    Liked
    1040 times
    I have a 94 with a 4" barrel that I adopted last year, and yes the trigger is stiff (understatement), but I still love that little orphan to this day and always will.
    MO
    In God We Trust!

KY CCDW

MEMBER: Kentucky Regulators Gun Club/LaSalle Sportsmen's Club

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links