Hard Racking and Failure To Load Issues
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Hard Racking and Failure To Load Issues

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Talking Hard Racking and Failure To Load Issues

When racking the slide - it feels like I'm trying to stretch out a shock absorber! Why is it so HARD to pull back on the side? I've even installed a Rack Assist Back Plate from Galloway Precision - which has made it a bit easier - but still it's a hard pull to get the rack back. I've seen videos where guys grab the end of the slide with 2 fingers and pull it back effortlessly - what gives?

It's also having difficulty loading the first round. When 1 round is in chamber and 7 in magazine - it jams up and I cant rack the round out, nor am I able to drop the magazine. I literally have to turn the gun upside down and bang it on wood (while pointed in a safe direction ) to free out the jammed round.

Any suggestions?
    777Driver likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Update: Fired the five different brands in the picture, 1 in chamber and 7 in the mag. With EACH different ammo, after the shot was fired for the round in chamber, the next TWO Failed To Load. The best this gun will fire is 6 rounds. 1 in chamber and 5 in mag or it jams! Definitely a feeding issue. I'm thinking its the magazines. Can anyone collaborate this - bad mags?Name:  Test 1a.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  128.6 KB

Member #
    Liked
    1496 times
    Some guns are easier to rack than others.
    Some guns start off stiff, then get easier with use.
    Some people have stronger hands than others.
    I have no trouble racking any of my slide guns, but my wife cannot rack any of them.

I have heard good things about the M&P Shield EZ as a pistol with an easier rack.
    Another thing you might want to check out is Rack-It (www.rack-it.org). I bought one for my wife, and it works great!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    184 times
    Pardon me for asking but have you thoroughly lubricated the Spectrum?
    PT-92, 100, 945, G2C 9mm, 66, & 605; just to name a few!

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Yes the gun was cleaned to get any grease out from its manufacturer (I read that it helps). I use Hoppe's products. I also own an M&P Shield and a couple wheelguns.
    After further testing I've concluded this. If I rack one round in the chamber, and 5 in the clip, it will fire all six without a hickup. As soon as I put round six in the clip (and one in the chamber) - it jambs after the first shot. Bad magazines? With the 'pinky' magazine - this is advertised as and 7+1 pistol. It's 5+1 no matter how or what I shoot through it! Is there a magazine fix? Is there a physical difference in the magazines?

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3897 times
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Yes the gun was cleaned to get any grease out from its manufacturer (I read that it helps). I use Hoppe's products. I also own an M&P Shield and a couple wheelguns.
    After further testing I've concluded this. If I rack one round in the chamber, and 5 in the clip, it will fire all six without a hickup. As soon as I put round six in the clip (and one in the chamber) - it jambs after the first shot. Bad magazines? With the 'pinky' magazine - this is advertised as and 7+1 pistol. It's 5+1 no matter how or what I shoot through it! Is there a magazine fix? Is there a physical difference in the magazines?
    I'm not a gun guy, so take this for what it is worth. If I recall, there were some people that had similar problems with the TCP. I've heard advice to keep the magazines loaded for a few days, then empty them for a few days, then load them for a few days. Keep that cycle going for a few weeks. Mind you, I've never done that and my memory may be fuzzy, but if I recall it sure sounds similar. Maybe you can hunt around the forum for TCP issues similar to what you have and find what I'm talking about (or even better information compared to my weak memory).

Whatever you find, please post the end of your saga here so the next poor guy has something to go on.

Good luck!

Member #
    Liked
    2908 times
    I'm late to this game, but I agree it very well could be a mag issue.
    Whether it has the wrong spring, or in backwards, possibly the wrong follower? (things can happen at the factory)

If you have taken the mag apart?... did the follower have legs on it so it would "bottom out" when full, or did the follower have a flat bottom? If it had legs- I wonder if they were not completely finished when the mag was made. If you have 2?....do you have the issue with both?
    I would definitely make Taurus aware of the issue.
    DeltaBravoKS likes this.
    a.k.a. Higgy Baby

Member #
    Liked
    34638 times
    There's some good advice here. Inspect/clean the mags, then load 'em up and let them sit for 2-3 days. I do that with all new magazine, any model any manufacturer. Then see how it works.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    2210 times
    Not exactly, specifically TAURUS. But I have seen this problem with other autoloaders.

You already have the "How is the magazine spring and follower assembled?" question from brojohn. He's got the most common of the magazine malfunction issues right there. Spring (or follower --OR BOTH) wrong-end-forward. Now it is hard to get the follower wrong-way-round, as one end is usually rounded, the other flat, but I have sen it done. Having an incorrect spring may well be a part of your issue. The short, looped, high end of the spring should face forward.

"Just exactly HOW does it fail to function?" is your first question. Does the nose of the cartridge first out of the magazine nose into the feed-ramp and hang, right there? If so, polishing the feed ramp in a longitudinal direction will often help - as there may be burrs from the milling process that create microscopic lines across the feed-ramp that need to be polished out - IN A DIRECTION LONGITUDINAL - (parallel) to the axis of the travel of the new, loaded round.

Or, does the round leave the magazine and impact inside the chamber and hang up with the slide impinging on the middle of the round? This can sometimes be attributed to that same engraving of rotary lines inside the chamber, though such may slow down the ejection moment of the slide and thus make for more of an extraction/ejection fault than a failure to feed.

Next thing to look for: The condition of the INSIDE of the lips of the magazine. Are there any burrs or irregularities? These surfaces need to be glass-smooth for the ultimate in feeding reliability. Nothing to snag or slow down the travel of the new cartridge.

Now, strip the firearm, and look carefully at the underside of the slide, beneath the firing-pin, in the area where the slide touches the round in the top of the magazine. If there is roughness there, you have already found a large part of your problem. This area should also be s - m -o oooooooth as can be.

Now, while the gun is apart, look carefully at the disconnector - this is on the right side, inside the frame, and is a piece of flat metal, held in place at the front end by the 'dowel pin" that runs through the frame. Is the forward edge of this bump on the disconnector a smooth edge? It should be a smoothly ramped slope? There should be a mating recess in the bottom of the slide where this bump on the disconnector enters when the slide is properly in battery. The rearward edge of this recess should also be smooth and free of burrs. If these two do not mate smoothly and operate congenially, this could be the root of all your problems. If this is the problem, let Taurus repair it under warranty. From your description, it sounds (particularly as regarding difficulty racking the slide) to me like this may be the problem, without addressing magazines.
    Last edited by Flash60601; 05-01-2020 at 09:50 PM.
    You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be.
    ....................Kurt Vonnegut, in "Mother Night"

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. . . . . . . . . . . . .. — Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    90% of feed failures are mag problems. There have been a lot of mag problems in the Spectrum especially the 7 rounder. Taurus uses the same spring in both the 6 and 7 round mags. Wolff spring does not make a mag spring for the Spectrum but on advice from Wolff I got a set of Keltec P32/P3at springs and all my problems went away. They are $7 each or $18 for 3. Because of shipping charges it is worth getting 3 or add some for other guns.
    juanace likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links