• 1 Post By Ellis653
  • 1 Post By olfarhors
  • 1 Post By Ellis653

Thread: Taurus PT 740 slim.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Taurus PT 740 slim.

I purchased a Taurus PT 740 slim through Buds Gun online. Ive had it for a few weeks now. Ive shot about 350 rounds through it so far. All brass cased full metal jacketed ammo. The indoor range i used only allows brass cased ammo. After getting the gun home. I field stripped it. Cleaned & oiled it. The first range visit i shot about 100 rounds. This gun came with the viridian E-series laser & 3 magazines. 1 8 round & 2 6 round mags. The issue has only happened with the 6 round magazines. I load the magazine, rack the slide. the round hits the feed ramp. Its essentially stuck right at the beginning of the feed ramp. Unable to perform immediate actions. Tap/rack wont work. Unable to eject the magazine. The only way I found to clear this is to take my cold steel push dagger & place the tip of the blade under the bullet & lift slight up. After which the slide will close. Still slightly out of battery. Then I was able to eject the magazine to inspect the bullet for any damage to the ammo. This happened about 1 more time on the first range visit. Second range visit this happened a few more times. I went to the range today & it happened about 4 more times. I got back home. Field stripped the gun. Cleaned it & oiled it. The 8 round magazine work fine. This occurs with the 2 6 round magazines. Has anyone had a similar issue with the PT 740 slim or even the PT 709 ? Also I even tried loading the magzines 1 under capacity. The problem still happens. Im thinking magazine issues ? I don't really want to send the gun in to Taurus. The gun shoots great. Thanks for any input.
    777Driver likes this.

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    7372 times
    Pull the mags apart(all 3) and clean them, look for burrs or anything else that stands out, and sand problems off..................
    Lube inside of mag with a very lite coating of dry lube, put back together and load all mags to capacity and let sit for a day or two.
    Then report back on how your range trip went and we can go from there!
    william and DeltaBravoKS like this.
    There are "four boxes" that can be employed to resist the downfall of America, the ballot box, the soap box, the jury box and, lastly, the ammo box.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Thanks for the reply. I took the magazines apart last night & inspected them. Nothing really stood out except the springs have a lot of tension in the 6 round mags. The 8 round magazine seems to have a lot less. I loaded them both to capacity. I’ll let them sit for a while. I’ll give an update next range trip. I guess worst case I’ll buy 2 more 6 round magazines. Thanks.
    loudviking likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    26835 times
    I wasn't aware that taurus was still even making the 740 or the 709, read and learn.
    loudviking likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Taurus PT 740 slim

After my last range visit I got back home. Field stripped & cleaned gun. Put it back together. I noticed the rear sight is loose. I has 1 screw holding it in place. I tightened it with a flat head screw driver. I’ll see how it does next range visit. If it becomes loose again. I’ll replace this screw with a Phillips head screw & a little blue loctite.
    DeltaBravoKS likes this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    19934 times
    This is a follow up to a new thread about this issue 3 days ago. Gonna merge this thread with that one.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

“Violent crime is feasible only when it’s victims are cowards. A victim who fights back makes the whole business impractical. - Col Jeff Cooper

With over 200 million firearms in private possession, in addition to a collective ammo round count of over a trillion rounds, it should be obvious that we in the firearm community and culture are NOT the problem!

Governments don’t create human rights; they either recognize them or suppress them

Sponsored Links