Got a TX22 Lemon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Got a TX22 Lemon

Member #
    Liked
    8 times

Got a TX22 Lemon

Hey guys. Been having a hell of a time with my new TX22 and just wanted to share to see if anyone else had had the same issues or had advice for me on my situation. It's been a while since I owned a Taurus but the TX22 looked just too fun to pass up. Got one at a local shop and was all smiles until I got it home and tried to break it down to inspect. When I pull down the take down button to get the slide off the button got stuck in the down position and the darn slide wouldn't come off. It seemed functional otherwise but I didn't want to shoot it in that condition so I sent it in to the Taurus repair shop.

Fast forward about a month or so and I get the thing back and the take down button seems to be working fine and the note says the gun is functional and they put a magazine through it so again I try to take it apart for inspection and the darn slide won't come off! I mean I follow all the directions to a tee and try about any other combination of magazine in, cocked, not cocked and the stupid thing won't come off. That's annoying because obviously the tech didn't take too long to see if it was working properly. So I send it back in for repair.

Fast forward about a month or so and I get it back and the note says they replaced a bunch of parts and it is now functional. Sure enough I take it apart no problem. It was repeatable too. Everything seemed to be working properly. So today, I take it to the range for the very first time since I bought it and put two magazines through it and I'm digging the thing. On the third magazine the thing hangs up. No problem. Clear the spent brass and load the next round but the trigger is locked up. Like won't move at all. So I drop the mag, clear the chamber, and try to take it apart to see what's up but the stupid slide won't come off again! So the slide won't come off and the trigger is locked up.

I'm at my wits end here. I got on their repair chat and told the chat lady I needed to speak to a manager. He is supposed to call me in the next 48 hours. I gave them the benefit of the doubt the first two times the gun had to be sent in and didn't go online trashing Taurus but this is too much. I want to ask the manager to send me a new gun because this one is obviously a lemon. Is there any precedent for that? Any advice on how to handle this situation? I just want a gun that functions properly and can be trusted to work reliably.

Thanks for the advice fellas!
    pradeep1 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    81 times
    That sucks!

I haven't heard of TXs having either type of issue before. Considering the takedown system (it's not complicated IIRC), I'm not sure what would cause it to lock-up.

I don't think there's anything else to do except send it back to Taurus again. I'd be surprised if they offered you a new gun.

Have you asked the dealer you bought it from if they can help you?

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    No, I wish I had bought it through Gallery of Guns. I got this one at a mom and pop shop in Colorado Springs and I live in Denver so it's kind of a pain to get down there. I guess if I'm not satisfied after talking to the manager at Taurus I may give them a call and see if they can help.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    12164 times
    Gee whiz what a pain. Sorry to hear about the issues with your TX-22. I would be pulling my hair out by now. My TX22 has not had either problem you described. This could be a bad omen as the TX22 along with the G2C and G2S have been the stars of the Taurus parade lately. I hope their QA hasn't tanked. Good luck Kujo.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Member #
    Liked
    22936 times
    So sorry to hear abut that - just hang in there and see what they have to say. If they don't call you within the 48 hrs, be sure to put a call in to them...and let us know the status of what is going on!
    Spit happens, so make the most of everyday!
    "Never give up. Never surrender." Galaxy Quest, 1999
    Happiness is always Having Enough 22lr ammo!
    Now residing in God's Country - The Black Hills of South Dakota!

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Hey guys. Don't know if anyone is still following but I heard back from Taurus today about my TX22. They are going to replace it so all is well. When I talked to the supervisor about how this gun just couldn't be relied upon she said to write it up in a letter and include it with the gun. She assigned my case to the repair supervisor. I'm hoping they include a few mags to cover the FFL costs but I'm not holding my breath haha. Here's to hoping this one holds up a little better!
    Sekol and PreacherRodgers like this.

Member #
    Liked
    22936 times
    Hope you get your replacement TX22 soon, unfortunately you need to repeat the break in process again, but heck - that just means you need to shoot it! Keep us posted! good luck!
    Spit happens, so make the most of everyday!
    "Never give up. Never surrender." Galaxy Quest, 1999
    Happiness is always Having Enough 22lr ammo!
    Now residing in God's Country - The Black Hills of South Dakota!

Member #
    Liked
    60 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kujo411 View Post
    Hey guys. Been having a hell of a time with my new TX22 and just wanted to share to see if anyone else had had the same issues or had advice for me on my situation. It's been a while since I owned a Taurus but the TX22 looked just too fun to pass up. Got one at a local shop and was all smiles until I got it home and tried to break it down to inspect. When I pull down the take down button to get the slide off the button got stuck in the down position and the darn slide wouldn't come off. It seemed functional otherwise but I didn't want to shoot it in that condition so I sent it in to the Taurus repair shop.

Fast forward about a month or so and I get the thing back and the take down button seems to be working fine and the note says the gun is functional and they put a magazine through it so again I try to take it apart for inspection and the darn slide won't come off! I mean I follow all the directions to a tee and try about any other combination of magazine in, cocked, not cocked and the stupid thing won't come off. That's annoying because obviously the tech didn't take too long to see if it was working properly. So I send it back in for repair.

Fast forward about a month or so and I get it back and the note says they replaced a bunch of parts and it is now functional. Sure enough I take it apart no problem. It was repeatable too. Everything seemed to be working properly. So today, I take it to the range for the very first time since I bought it and put two magazines through it and I'm digging the thing. On the third magazine the thing hangs up. No problem. Clear the spent brass and load the next round but the trigger is locked up. Like won't move at all. So I drop the mag, clear the chamber, and try to take it apart to see what's up but the stupid slide won't come off again! So the slide won't come off and the trigger is locked up.

I'm at my wits end here. I got on their repair chat and told the chat lady I needed to speak to a manager. He is supposed to call me in the next 48 hours. I gave them the benefit of the doubt the first two times the gun had to be sent in and didn't go online trashing Taurus but this is too much. I want to ask the manager to send me a new gun because this one is obviously a lemon. Is there any precedent for that? Any advice on how to handle this situation? I just want a gun that functions properly and can be trusted to work reliably.

Thanks for the advice fellas!
    I know EXACTLY what caused this, because I have the SAME problem with my new TX22....the barrel is an extremely tight fit into the locking tabs and won't go all the way in....you have to give the back of the slide a hit during disassembly to nudge it forward and off....and when you reassemble, you put the slide and barrel on normally, then you have to lock the slide back and then push the barrel back by hand until it's seated all the way into the tabs, you'll feel it go back and hear and see the assembly lever snap upwards. NOW it's assembled normally and ready to go.
    bobbojama and Russty like this.

Member #
    Liked
    105 times
    So, that is at least two with the same problem. Kujo411 and Rick O'Shea

Contact TAURUS via CHAT (click chat at bottom of web site during work hours) and explain problem. Betcha they will take it back (FREE).

Member #
    Liked
    60 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulTaurus View Post
    So, that is at least two with the same problem. Kujo411 and Rick O'Shea

Contact TAURUS via CHAT (click chat at bottom of web site during work hours) and explain problem. Betcha they will take it back (FREE).
    They've got me on the 'backordered barrel' list, so when I get the new barrel I'll see how it fits. That might tell me if it's a barrel problem or a locking tab problem.
    Last edited by Rick O'Shea; 10-19-2019 at 10:12 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links