Is it me or the gun with the problem
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Is it me or the gun with the problem

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Is it me or the gun with the problem

Hi All, I'm going to make my 1st post probably a dumb short question. I have a PT 111 millennium g2, with the magazine removed shouldn't I be able to rack the slide to the open position and lock it open. I slide it back an push the slide lock up but it won't hold as soon as I let go it slams closed.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    32268 times
    Keep holding the slide lock up until the slide catches it. Ease the slide to it, don't slam it.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    Yes listen to what he's telling you. If you let go of the lock before the slide is against it the the slide lock will drop out of the lock position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    taurustoter likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    8817 times
    The only "dumb" question is the one you don't ask. If you don't know, the question isn't dumb. Maybe I didn't read the post correctly, but the slide normally will not lock back unless one of two primary conditions are met:

1) The slide lock is actuated and held until the slide is actually released against it.
    2) The slide is pulled back with an empty magazine inserted.
    Smokewagon and taurustoter like this.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
    I love my country, but I fear my government.
    "The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything.” Albert Einstein

Member #
    Liked
    5626 times
    Yeah I think everyone missed the point. The magazine has to be in the gun.
    taurustoter likes this.
    "I can't fix stupid but I can fix stupid's dog"

Taurus PT111 G2, Taurus 709 Slim, Ruger Blackhawk .45LC/.45ACP, High Standard Double Nine .22/.22WMR, AR-15 .223/5.56 PSA, Herter's FN Mauser 30.06, Remington 572 Fieldmaster Pump .22, Savage 93R17F, Mossberg 715T, Raven P25

Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyC2639 View Post
    Yeah I think everyone missed the point. The magazine has to be in the gun.
    I lock all of my pistols slides back without a mag in them. I don't really know who says that. Now with a empty mag in it it's going to automatically lock back. Then you put a loaded mag in it and press the slide release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Taurus1965 and jljones like this.

Member #
    Liked
    19119 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 1LWC View Post
    Hi All, I'm going to make my 1st post probably a dumb short question. I have a PT 111 millennium g2, with the magazine removed shouldn't I be able to rack the slide to the open position and lock it open. I slide it back an push the slide lock up but it won't hold as soon as I let go it slams closed.
    Yes you should. Try what Smokewagon is saying. Ease the slide forward, at the same time making sure you hold the slide lock up, until you know the slide catches the lock.

I'm guessing the slide lock is working fine when you run out of ammo in the magazine and the slide locks to the rear? Then I would think it would work in your situation.

Ah I just thought of something, don't take this the wrong way. Are you certain you are pulling the slide back far enough? I've never handled the G2 but I'm guessing they have a fairly stout recoil spring setup. Just a thought. Keep us posted on how things go.

Member #
    Liked
    26081 times
    the slide lock is actuated by a spring, with a magazine in the weapon when it becomes empty then the magazine follower comes to the top and actuates upward pressure to lock the thing in place. thats why while shooting it does not (or at least should NOT) lock back as the follower is not in contact with the slide lock.
    Soo if you do not have a magazine in place then there is nothing to activate the lock, soo as mentioned you need to push the slide lock lever up and let the slide move forward a tad until its caught in the slide lock notch on the slide.
    IF this doesn't work you need a new slide lock likely or the frame is worn at the slide lock notch.
    interestingly when I went to buy my TCP I was checking the gun in the showcase out and locked the slide, about 10-15 seconds went by and the slide slammed shut, so I re-cocked it and again about 10-15 seconds went by and it slammed shut again, upon inspection the slide lock cutout in the slide was round, so!
    taurustoter likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks everyone, I guess I was the biggest part of the problem not holding the slide lock up long enough but they sure don't put much there for it catch and if I look at it wrong it slams closed.
    Smokewagon and taurustoter like this.

Member #
    Liked
    26081 times
    IF you are comfortable in doing it and have a pretty good vice and file you can work on the slide lock cutout in the slide.
    just go easy and check it often, you want to be able to release the slide IF you need to without much trouble.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links