Taurus PT92 -Advice??
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Taurus PT92 -Advice??

Member #
    Liked
    9 times

Taurus PT92 -Advice??

Anyone here have or familiar with the Taurus PT92? Took the PT92 to the gun range a few days ago , was purchased in Novemer 2018 and first time shooting it.. had problems with the empty shell casings not ejecting every 3-4 rds., and would cause a jam resulting in having to release mag and clear the weapon and start over.. also while shooting, could feel some powder blow back on my face (yes i did have safety glasses on and ear plugs and earmuffs for eye and ear protection) i was using Remington 9mm Luger bullets -115 grain..Just wanted to see if anyone has experienced same issues, or offer advice..

Member #
    Liked
    5829 times
    My recommendations are pretty general, but they usually work out well in the end.

1. Clean every nook and cranny of the gun. I know that they may have cleaned the surface pretty well, but that preservative can wedge in tight spaces like the extractor, firing pin channel, locking block, and even inside the magazines. Disassemble whatever you can easily, and don't be afraid to let them soak in your cleaner of choice.

2. Wrack the slide a couple dozen times, sometimes the recoil spring is tight and needs to be relaxed slightly. It may annoy the significant other if they're in the same room, but it can't really hurt anything to do it.

3. Try a different brand of ammunition. Personally, I have very few problems with Remington ammunition but 115 gr. is slightly under weight of the recommended 124 gr. ammo. In a broken in gun, 115 will run fine, but basically a new tight gun it may have short strokes giving you your jam issues.

4. In the odd likelihood that it may be happening, try to avoid limp wristing the gun. Let the recoil lift your forearm, not your hands at the wrist.

Hopefully those tips, will get you on the right path to enjoying your 92. It's a great gun, and can be an absolute pleasure to take to the range.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk
    "I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. Hear it loud, hear it clearly. I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. I know what my country has done, both good and bad. I have a deep appreciation of what this country is and what the American people are capable of. This is not a setback. This is a challenge and believe me, the American people are up to the challenge,...." -Glenn Beck

Member #
    Liked
    3707 times
    My PT92 has been flawless for 3000+ rounds. I only shoot 124gr Speer Lawman, TMJ & Golddot. I second the deep cleaning and lubing suggestion.
    muddcatt54 likes this.
    Let slip the dogs of War...
    Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    26149 times
    pretty, much agree with the other post.
    taurus is infamous for that preservtive they put in thier weapons that come from Brazil.
    as the weapon has been sitting for awhile and you don't list the actual manufacture date that good old preservative may have by now turned a nice crusty hard brown.
    clean well and lubricate and see if it doesn't run better for you.
    the 124 grain NATO power is an excellent ammo to break a new 92/99 in on by the way, made by several companies, look for the NATO stamp on the box/ammo head stamp.
    muddcatt54 and GreenWolf70 like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Thank you all so much for the tips and suggestions, ..i have cleaned it a few times but i will try to do a much deeper clean and lube job on it, and try some higher grain ammo! Hope you all have a great day, again thank you!

Member #
    Liked
    229 times
    +1 on cleaning and also consider cleaning or switching magazines. I have mostly Mec Gar mags for my PT 92. Mine does not seem to be picky about ammo.

My PT 92 has been rock solid with zero FTF to FTE. I replaced the hard factory plastic grip panels with softer Pachmayr grips. Feels great in my hand however the pistol in general is actually a little too big for my size medium hands so I don't shoot it very often.

I would love to have a Beretta 92 but I am afraid I would have the same size problem since the PT 92 is a clone of the Beretta 92.

Member #
    Liked
    6171 times
    The 92 in my opinion is one of the best guns that Taurus makes, a real tack driver.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Are you using a factory mag?
    Is it possible you limp wristed the gun? Poor grip can cause this problem.

Member #
    Liked
    413 times
    I run 115 grain factory and reloads all day long. I will +2 Montkun on cleaning and possible ammunition issues I can not side with 124 grains based on my experience, Now does that mean it is wrong NO.
    We may not have it all together....Together we may have it all....Holding on to ancestry and history We are destroying our present as well as any hope for the future generations..A little rambling...what do you think?

Member #
    Liked
    380 times
    I've run mostly 115gr thru my PT92, brass and steel cased. No issues with the pistol. I remember having some feed issues early on, but once I used Mecgar mags, no more issues. Haven't really touched the factory mags since.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links