Taurus PT92 -Advice?? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Taurus PT92 -Advice??

Member #
    Liked
    5856 times
    I may have given the wrong impression of 115 gr. ammunition in my first post, I use it all the time at the range. But my 7 year old 92 is well broken in with enough rounds downrange that I stopped counting years ago. In the OP's situation, it's a 'factory fresh' gun that's still tight. A few boxes of mid weight 9mm (124 gr.) would do well to loosen up the gun, especially if you can pick up some NATO rounds for a good price.

In my Hi-Point 995, I like using 147 gr. rounds most often. That long barrel really helps that heavy slug hit hard at 100 yards.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk
    "I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. Hear it loud, hear it clearly. I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. I know what my country has done, both good and bad. I have a deep appreciation of what this country is and what the American people are capable of. This is not a setback. This is a challenge and believe me, the American people are up to the challenge,...." -Glenn Beck

Member #
    Liked
    10919 times
    The Taurus PT-92 began as a license built Beretta 92 under contract for the Brazilian Military. It, like the Beretta 92 was designed around NATO ammo. The NATO standard is essentially, under SAMMI standards, a plus P loading of the 9mm using a 124 grain FMJ bullet. If your PT-92 is like mine, it will shoot tighter groups with NATO standard ammo. Winchester has a line of 124 grain FMJ 9mm ammo that has a broad gray banner across the box that says "NATO" and under that is "Made in USA". Several other manufacturers will have ammo that is also marked NATO. The headstamp marking for NATO ammo is a circle around a cross.
    william likes this.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    2258 times
    Near clone, not a clone. I have half a dozen Beretta variants. You will have no problems with any of them. The M9a3 is one of the best available. If you decide to jump on one, I recommend it. And prices on that model are dropping.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    10919 times
    PT-92 was never a "clone" of the Beretta 92, it was a Beretta 92 as the Beretta design stood when it was manufactured for the Brazilian military. After Taurus bought the tooling from Beretta, the designs began to diverge. In some ways I prefer the PT-92 as the safety is on the frame, rather than on the slide. But the designs began to diverge over 30 years ago. But those early PT-92 pistols were not Beretta clones, they were Beretta pistols made by Beretta trained workers on Beretta machines and tooling.

If you look at the Taurus revolvers, it is much the same. At one time Taurus was part of the same conglomerate that owned S&W. Taurus began to produce a S&W designed revolver and for a while it was, in fact, called an "Improved S&W design". Since divestment, Taurus has departed in many ways from the original S&W design, as have S&W revolvers.
    brojohn and loudviking like this.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    I have a PT92. It's a giant full size duty pistol. The 115 grain doesn't have enough explosive powder to cycle the slide correctly. Shoot 124 grain or 147 grain and see if you can duplicate the problem.

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    13564 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wall-e View Post
    I have a PT92. It's a giant full size duty pistol. The 115 grain doesn't have enough explosive powder to cycle the slide correctly. Shoot 124 grain or 147 grain and see if you can duplicate the problem.
    My PT 99, respectfully disagrees, which is why I carry it daily.

Your Milage May Very

Make America Great Again - Remove all the warning labels!
    I shoot to support my reloading habit
    Only when your house is on fire, will you have too much ammo!
    Psalms 144:1
    Never go into a fight with less ammo than you can carry - W Ward
    Lubbock 15 Sand Lake 15 & 16 Rapid City 15 - 19

Member #
    Liked
    10919 times
    Your PT-92 is designed around the NATO standard 9mm which is a 124 grain FMJ pushed to +P load pressure. NATO rounds will give you the best accuracy and function in the PT-92.

Member #
    Liked
    26963 times
    Quote Originally Posted by william View Post
    My PT 99, respectfully disagrees, which is why I carry it daily.

Your Milage May Very
    MY-MY-MY.
    mine (model 99) so far has ran on about every 9 MM ammo that I have been able to try, that includes down to a 92 grain ammo that I use as a defensive round all the way up to a 150 grain reload.
    doesn't matter if its a flat nose. round nose, hollow point etc.
    it runs and shoots as well as any Beretta that I have handled, I just wish that I had the same luck with the rest of my Taurus offspring.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by olfarhors; 05-20-2019 at 09:19 AM.
    william, loudviking and GaCop103 like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Where did you come up with this? This is completely bogus information.

Member #
    Liked
    10919 times
    This will be a hard to beat price on Win NATO 9mm ammo box of 50 for $9

https://palmettostatearmory.com/winc...rds-q4318.html
    Czechbikr and olfarhors like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links