TX 22 and barrel issues - Page 13
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: TX 22 and barrel issues

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33804 times
    I have experienced leading similar to this in a different pistol. The brand was also Remington, but not Thunderbolt. It was a bargain bulk buy. Since I used it all up, I haven’t had this issue. I tend to avoid Remington when I see it. It’s possible I could have gotten a bad lot or something, but solving the problem was easy.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

2. 10-17-2019, 07:45 AM

Administrator

Reason
    Dup

Member #
    Liked
    518 times
    Is there any news on Taurus making correct barrels or plans to do so in the near future?
    I have $$ burning a hole in my pocket waiting for this barrel mess to be corrected to buy another TX22.
    "Ain't Nothing Scarier Than a Man With a Gun."
    "Ain't Nothing More Helpless Than a Man Without One."

CCW Permit 03 FFL
    SAVAGE 93R17 FV .17 HMR HEAVY BARREL/ Enfield No.4 MK 1 (1941)
    Home Brew SKS BULLPUP/ Yugoslavian SKS 59/66/ CZ999 9mm (2)
    Taurus PT111 G2 9mm (5)/ Chinese TOK 9mm/ CZ-52 (1954)/ CZ-82 (2) Both refinished
    Del-Ton M4/ Mosin 91/30 (2) ........ Need More Ammo

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan51 View Post
    Is there any news on Taurus making correct barrels or plans to do so in the near future?
    I have $$ burning a hole in my pocket waiting for this barrel mess to be corrected to buy another TX22.

I contacted them a couple of weeks ago and sent them pictures of the inside of my barrel. The lands look like worn hacksaw blades. I asked them if they could send me a replacement barrel or at least a return authorization. They said the barrels are on back order and they would put in an order and send me a barrel as soon as they have them. Haven't heard anything else.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    518 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jljones View Post
    I contacted them a couple of weeks ago and sent them pictures of the inside of my barrel. The lands look like worn hacksaw blades. I asked them if they could send me a replacement barrel or at least a return authorization. They said the barrels are on back order and they would put in an order and send me a barrel as soon as they have them. Haven't heard anything else.
    I talked to a Taurus tech yesterday about the TX22 recoil spring issue and the ETA of the back ordered 16 rd. TX mags.
    He told me since the facility is moving from Florida, operations will be behind until the move is complete.
    Don't Smurf yourself by holding your breath.

CCW Permit 03 FFL
    Taurus PT111 G2 9mm (5)/ Chinese TOK 9mm/ CZ-52 (1954)/ CZ-82 (2) Both refinished

Member #
    Liked
    94 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Melsr View Post
    Hi, first time Taurus owner. I bought the TX22 because I was sold on the 16 round capacity and all the solid reviews in U-Tube. I was at the range the other day and after about 300 rounds of the Black Remington Thunderbolts I noticed my rounds keyholing at 7 yards. Accuracy was also crap at that range. When I went home to clean the gun the barrel was so fouled that the grooves were non existent. It took hours getting it cleaned and I broke my barrel cleaners cleaning all the the crap out. I'm going to chalk this experience up as cheap ammo and only use copper jacketed bullets on my next range trip. Anyone experience this with 22lr Remington Thunderbolt "black" ammo?
    GOSH, that is terrible looking. I have shot a lot of Remington Thunderbolt 500 rounds some times on sale at Floyd's Go;lf and gun for $12.99 (500 rounds) plus tax or about $14.30 total.

I am not sure what you mean by "black", assume you mean Not Copper coated bullet. As far as I know all Thunderbolt is "black" (lead bullet). I have not seen any key-holing, and not seen anything like the lead you have in that barrel and what you got out of the barrel.

Some Info using all Thunderbolt (11-06-2019 shoot) with various guns, INCLUDE the TX 22 at 20 and 30 feet (first two pictures).
    Name:  DSCN8777.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  88.2 KB
    Name:  DSCN8778.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  114.8 KB

The rest is with other guns - 22 Rifle at 50 yards and Pistols at 20 yards.
    Name:  DSCN8773.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  133.9 KB
    Name:  DSCN8775.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  85.3 KB

NOTE: not the TX22 at 20 yards, 2 other pistols and a Heritage Revolver.
    Name:  DSCN8776.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  92.9 KB

Member #
    Liked
    92 times
    I was able to see a TX22 at a gun shop yesterday, I informed an employee about the barrel issues. He grabbed a light to ckeck it, a beaver could have cut the grooves better, he just put it back in the display case.

Member #
    Liked
    518 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Harleyboy65 View Post
    I was able to see a TX22 at a gun shop yesterday, I informed an employee about the barrel issues. He grabbed a light to ckeck it, a beaver could have cut the grooves better, he just put it back in the display case.
    The same happened to me, except my LGS sent the TX back to Taurus.
    I lucked up this time and got a good barrel.
    olfarhors likes this.

CCW Permit 03 FFL

Member #
    Liked
    27195 times

WOW!!
    thats not good!
    pass the problem on to the customer!
    I would be shipping that sucker back to the wholesaler and let them work it out with Taurus!
    OF course a customary initial inspection and check of the serial number before putting weapons in stock for sale catches most of this!
    I guess a lot of gun shops don't do this?
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    92 times
    I know most gun shop employees know nothing of manufacturer problems, to their defense how would they if the info probably does not even get to the shop owners. Most employees I talk to are guns owners but not gun nuts. It seems to get good firearm info you have to spend your free time on gun forums and youtube

Member #
    Liked
    27195 times
    I know most gun shop employees know nothing of manufacturer problems, to their defense how would they if the info probably does not even get to the shop owners. Most employees I talk to are guns owners but not gun nuts. It seems to get good firearm info you have to spend your free time on gun forums and youtube
    Likely true, not at my frequent gun shop however.
    Back many moons ago when I was in the gun business we checked every firearm we received for quality, correct serial/model number and a general easy cleaning to get rid of oils/lube before it went in the counter for sale.
    I do and have always thoroughly checked a weapon before purchasing it myself as I have seen more than a few factory botches over the years.
    Harleyboy65 likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Sponsored Links