Gen 1 pt140, Am i too late?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Gen 1 pt140, Am i too late?

Member #
    Liked
    8 times

Gen 1 pt140, Am i too late?

Well i guess i have been living under a rock, cause this is the first i have heard about a recall. i have a Gen 1 pt140, is it too late to send it in for repair/replace? i am the original owner of the pistol, i bought it new in 2003ish.
    A citizen who shirks his duty to contribute
    to the security of his community,
    is little better than the criminal who threatens it.

Member #
    Liked
    291 times
    I believe the claim process is closed;

"Please be advised, the settlement is final – On August 15, 2017, the court entered an order regarding the claim filing process; this order is available for review on the settlement website. The claim filing period begins on October 9, 2017 and ends on February 6, 2018. A notice with additional information will be emailed or mailed to those individuals who registered for updates; notice will also be provided through the PR Newswire Service."

Taurus Class Action

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    So I called the 800 number and was told they will swap it out with a g2c 9mm. In an ironic turn of events I just bought that gun 3 days ago (the g2c) which was my reason for joining this forum. Wamp, wamp wamp waaaammmpppp.
    jonrjen and taurustoter like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    539 times
    It is covered under the extended warranty now. No cash option but you can send it in for repair. They will repair or replace at their option.
    They wont fix it but will give you a G2 in 9mm

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    7488 times
    Is there something wrong with the firearm?
    There are "four boxes" that can be employed to resist the downfall of America, the ballot box, the soap box, the jury box and, lastly, the ammo box.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2796 times
    Some have had luck bargaining for a different gun. Maybe you can talk them out of a G2C in .40. At least it wouldn't be another in 9mm.

I had no idea of any recall when I bought my first Taurus. It wasn't a recall gun, but I've purchased 3 recall guns since then. They all work, so I'll keep them until they break and I can't fix them...then send them in for the replacement-of-the-day.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    68 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FatNinja View Post
    Well i guess i have been living under a rock, cause this is the first i have heard about a recall. i have a Gen 1 pt140, is it too late to send it in for repair/replace? i am the original owner of the pistol, i bought it new in 2003ish.
    Your PT140 should be covered under the "Enhanced Lifetime Transferable Warranty." That means that forever, you can send it to Taurus and they will replace your PT140 with the 9mm G2 model (or similar, whatever they happen to have in the future).

The G2 model is routinely on sale for $200 or less. Currently, it's on sale on the internet for $180 and Taurus has a $30 rebate, making the gun about $150.

Some owners have reported the process taking several months, while others have reported it taking a year or longer. Lots of inconsistency in whether owners get contacted when it ships. They are also supposed to cover FFL and shipping fees, but owners have reported difficulty getting Taurus to reimburse.

So, you have to really ask yourself if trading in your PT140 to get a $150 gun with all the wait and hassle is worth it? It may or may not be for you...

Good luck with your decision.
    Last edited by leadcounsel; 04-02-2019 at 09:37 PM.
    loudviking likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    as stated before, there is nothing wrong with it, except the recall, which i discovered that problem the recall addresses shortly after buying it. i just said to my self, ok never hold trigger half way down then engage safety, simple enough. then over the years i i have had lots of handguns, some taurus some not. but about 3 days ago i bought a g2c for conceal carry, joined this forum to get some insight on it and my other taurus guns and noticed a recall on the old pt140, i gave to my dad about 5 years ago, and now see i could swapped it out for the g2c i just bought. its cool either way, i'm sure pops would rather the nicer S/A trigger of the g2c than that mile long DOA trigger of the pt140. if not i'll give him a .38 revolver, I've got a few of them. its ok either way. wonder if they will let me swap it for a purple g2c? the wife was asking about one the other day. remember you can never have too many guns or bullets for that matter.

Member #
    Liked
    3438 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FatNinja View Post
    So I called the 800 number and was told they will swap it out with a g2c 9mm. In an ironic turn of events I just bought that gun 3 days ago (the g2c) which was my reason for joining this forum. Wamp, wamp wamp waaaammmpppp.
    LMAO!!! That made me laugh, the wamp wamp thing. Hang in there buddy, nothing wrong with two G2's!
    Peacemakr40 likes this.
    Are we there yet?
    USMC 83'-87'
    Indiana CCW, Utah CCW
    NRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    32188 times
    I'd just keep the .40. Nothing I've heard about the whole issue makes me think it's worth downgrading from a .40 to a 9.
    Wino and taurustoter like this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links