Taurus Warranty- How Long Should It Last?

View Poll Results: Taurus Warranty - How Long Should It Last?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lifetime Limited Warranty

45 80.36%
  • 10 Year Limited Warranty

8 14.29%
  • 1 Year Limited Warranty

3 5.36%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree123Likes

Thread: Taurus Warranty- How Long Should It Last?

Member #
    Liked
    22682 times

Taurus Warranty- How Long Should It Last?

Recently, I had an opportunity to visit many of my handguns while re-organizing the safe and it was fun to reminisce over all of them! Some reminded me of when I first started shooting handguns, some reminded me of the great "finds" they were, and some reminded me of why I started buying Taurus products....because I knew that if I ever had issues with a piece that I could always exercise my lifetime warranty and send it back to Taurus.

I have several handguns that went back to Taurus for service or repair over the years and most of these are actually some of my favorite pieces in my collection because they function so well and shooting them for recreation is so enjoyable! Now, not all of my Taurus product that went back to Taurus USA came home in great operational order, but Taurus stood behind their products and made sure that I was able to get satisfactory replacement for those particular pieces. I always felt confident purchasing Taurus firearms as I knew that I could always rely on their lifetime warranty if I ever experienced any problems with one; and I want to emphasize that I did not experience problems with all, or even very many, of my Taurus firearms, but there were issues with a few that Taurus very satisfactorily settled for me.

Now, the newer Taurus products are being sold with a 1 year limited warranty instead of the lifetime limited warranty. How does this effect the decision whether or not to purchase a Taurus ? Firearms manufacturers are producing lots of different products to catch our attention and our dollars; and so I imagine that the competition for a share of the firearms market sales is steep. Will dropping from a lifetime warranty to a one year warranty impact the consummers' purchasing decision? For instance, I am very interested in the new Taurus TX22, but with only a one year limited warranty I'm not sure how confident I will feel about buying one. Granted, most of the Taurus products are very competitively priced and if I have a problem in several years with a new Taurus I will not be out a lot of money, but I am now on a fixed income so every dollar counts even more now than before! What would you TA.net-ers like to see Taurus have for their warranty coverage: lifetime limited warranty, 10 year limited warranty, or 1 year limited warranty?
    Spit happens, so make the most of everyday!
    "Never give up. Never surrender." Galaxy Quest, 1999
    Happiness is always Having Enough 22lr ammo!
    Now residing in God's Country - The Black Hills of South Dakota!

Member #
    Liked
    5171 times
    About the only product i ever considered the warranty on when purchasing was Craftsman tools. I thought theTaurus warranty was nice....but from what i read about out it wasn't a choosing point. I was mostly concerned with finances...Taurus was one of the best looking firearms in my price range. I almost went with a Hi Point C9 due to cost and tried to use the reports of its warranty as a convincer. It was then and still is ugly gun. I really like my PT809...even though i may trace it off.

I'm not going to use the warranty as a method of decision....unlesstwo guns are so close that i really need a deal breaker. I considered the Taurus TH9....till i held the Canik TP9SA....warranty wasn't one of my thoughts. I chose based on appearance, magazine availability, trigger and ergonomics. Warranty never came into the equation.
    Magazine availability and parts availability had me considering Glock models.
    I didn't vote add it doesn't matter to me.
    Sekol likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    739 times
    There are so many guns with similar characteristics that I am swayed by a more favorable warranty when purchasing new. Even with cars Hyundai over others in the same category.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    22682 times
    Thanks folks! Both very interesting and valid points of view!
    CaptainMorgan likes this.
    Spit happens, so make the most of everyday!
    "Never give up. Never surrender." Galaxy Quest, 1999
    Happiness is always Having Enough 22lr ammo!
    Now residing in God's Country - The Black Hills of South Dakota!

Member #
    Liked
    33058 times
    I use warranties as a gauge. The shorter the warranty, the less faith the mfgr has in their product and I always figured if they don't trust it......why should I? Companies lose their ___ on warranty repairs/replacements so if they provide a full coverage, long term warranty on their product, they're pretty darn sure that you're never gonna' have to use it. I would never use sales figures or popularity as a scale because there is a very large segment of consumers who are hell-bent on buyin' nothing but junk. Very few people buy anything based on quality, 'coz quality doesn't come cheap. Besides, nowadays it's all about color, style, brand loyalty, fancy labels and status. I think that applies to guns almost more than anything.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

I miss my 286.

#Neverwarren

Welfare...funding the illegal drug trade since 1935.

Member #
    Liked
    7504 times
    There are many reasons I have purchased a certain brand name of firearm over Taurus recently:

- Parts availability. If I need a part, I want it ASAP, not "whenever we get it". This includes spare magazines, optical sights, and simple to replace parts like recoil springs and trigger springs. These parts are things that do wear out, and can generally be replaced by the average gun owner.

- Customer Service. When your call is answered within a few minutes by a real live operator, that means something to me. It means that the company really does care about their customers, and is ready to help when they do have a problem.

- Warranty repair turn around. Last year I waited nearly THREE MONTHS for Taurus to do repair work on a model 85 I sent back. Unacceptable timeframe, not to mention the repair work was only satisfactory, in my opinion. Now another company had a gun of mine in and out in under TWO WEEKS, and it was repaired to better than new.

Now I am not going to name the other company by name, but which one of those companies do you think I will purchase my next firearm from?

For me, Taurus has dropped the ball too many times recently. And the one year warranty is just the icing on the cake.
    bobbojama, Sekol, william and 4 others like this.
    Desperado's Big Bang Theory:
    The theory that a "big bang" from a handgun, along with a perpetrator receiving a gunshot wound, is the best way to end violent personal or property crimes.

Member #
    Liked
    5171 times
    Another point is that when you read the terms on most warranties they (manufacturers) leave themselves so many ways to not cover what falls that they aren't worth the paper they are printed on. Some are excellent such as Hi Point.... Others not so much!
    Sekol and Rotorflyr like this.

Member #
    Liked
    3867 times
    The only Taurus firearm I own is my Fantastic PT92. My reason for purchasing it was I originally wanted a Beretta style 9mm pistol. The Taurus configuration for the safety, life time warranty, availability of wear parts outside of Taurus, interchangeability with Beretta parts, and cost/quality ratio. I prefer all metal/alloy, hammer fired, semiauto pistols. My PT 92 has been flawless. I also own firearms manufactured by Kel-Tec, Freedom Ordnance, HiPoint, and Phoenix, all have life time warranty's. I am seriously considering the TX22 and Spectrum, BUT am hesitant to jump in until the reliability is proven. Kel-Tec just came out with a 22LR pistol that holds 33 to 50 rounds and has a lifetime warranty. Cost and reliability will be the deciding factor between the TX and the new Kel-Tec. At this point the MSRP for the Kel-Tec is $100.00 more than the TX22.

With the quality issues that Taurus has experienced in recent years, I would be much more comfortable if they were to extend the warranty's to at least 5 years, if not go back to the life time warranty. I don't necessarily shoot every gun every month and 1 year is just not adequate.
    Last edited by bobbojama; 01-26-2019 at 06:53 AM.
    Sekol and CaptainMorgan like this.
    Let slip the dogs of War...
    Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4726 times
    Low price sells, and who doesn't want more bang for the buck. This is especially true for first time buyers. But as a person acquires more and more firearms, their attitude changes, and quality, durability, and reparability becomes a priority. Who can really be proud of their safe full of 500 pistols made by low cost/low quality makers such as Jennings, Bryco, Locin, RG, and Phoenix?

I buy new firearms from top quality manufactures with long standing reputations for standing behind their products. Life is to short to deal with issues such out of stock parts and we have no idea when or if it may be available.
    Sekol, olfarhors, 88keys and 2 others like this.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    32557 times
    I'd like to see everything warrantied forever. But I realize that isn't practical. With automobiles and just about every other thing I buy with a warranty, I feel that if I can't get all the bugs ironed out in those particular time frames, I'll deal with problems on my own. I voted the 10 yr. limited warranty.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links