Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Taurus Warranty - How Long Should It Last?

• Lifetime Limited Warranty

Votes: 45 80.4%
  • 10 Year Limited Warranty

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • 1 Year Limited Warranty

Votes: 3 5.4%

Taurus Warranty- How Long Should It Last?

8K views 63 replies 39 participants last post by  Akoustic 
#1 ·
Recently, I had an opportunity to visit many of my handguns while re-organizing the safe and it was fun to reminisce over all of them! Some reminded me of when I first started shooting handguns, some reminded me of the great "finds" they were, and some reminded me of why I started buying Taurus products....because I knew that if I ever had issues with a piece that I could always exercise my lifetime warranty and send it back to Taurus.

I have several handguns that went back to Taurus for service or repair over the years and most of these are actually some of my favorite pieces in my collection because they function so well and shooting them for recreation is so enjoyable! Now, not all of my Taurus product that went back to Taurus USA came home in great operational order, but Taurus stood behind their products and made sure that I was able to get satisfactory replacement for those particular pieces. I always felt confident purchasing Taurus firearms as I knew that I could always rely on their lifetime warranty if I ever experienced any problems with one; and I want to emphasize that I did not experience problems with all, or even very many, of my Taurus firearms, but there were issues with a few that Taurus very satisfactorily settled for me.

Now, the newer Taurus products are being sold with a 1 year limited warranty instead of the lifetime limited warranty. How does this effect the decision whether or not to purchase a Taurus ? Firearms manufacturers are producing lots of different products to catch our attention and our dollars; and so I imagine that the competition for a share of the firearms market sales is steep. Will dropping from a lifetime warranty to a one year warranty impact the consummers' purchasing decision? For instance, I am very interested in the new Taurus TX22, but with only a one year limited warranty I'm not sure how confident I will feel about buying one. Granted, most of the Taurus products are very competitively priced and if I have a problem in several years with a new Taurus I will not be out a lot of money, but I am now on a fixed income so every dollar counts even more now than before! What would you TA.net-ers like to see Taurus have for their warranty coverage: lifetime limited warranty, 10 year limited warranty, or 1 year limited warranty?

See less See more
#61 ·
I am pretty fond of my PT740 and my TCP. My PT740 in particular would be tough to replace; a slim, concealable .40 that has a thumb safety. Recoil springs are a wear item on semiautos. I can get a recoil spring set from Galloway for the TCP. I just did some duckduckgoing (because I avoid using Google these days), and I can't find a recoil spring for the PT740 anywhere.

And we hear far more "it took more than three months to get it back" stories than good stories about their turnaround time. If I needed a recoil spring for my PT740, how long would I be without it?

Quite frankly, sitting here today, they need to address these sorts of issues before I even care what their warranty is. If they want to restrict some hard-to-get to parts, I could understand that - IF their customer service rose to the level of Charter or even HiPoint. But basic parts like springs need to be available, regardless of the warranty.

Reactions: oso and olfarhors
#62 ·
yea, I believe that the 740 has the recoil spring assembly as well?
that adds to the problem of buying springs from a ftermarket vendor.
I think most taurus recoil spring assmebly rods can't be disconnected?
and so you either have to make a new rod and assembly by using other weapons springs or try to find a OEM spring assembly.
don't understand why not stock money making parts for a weapon, especially a weapon that requires factory manufactured specific parts.

Reactions: oso
#63 ·
Doing a search on PT740 on their web site gets no results. At all. The only acknowledgement of the model's existence is on their serial number lookup. Doesn't instill much confidence.

Reactions: olfarhors
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.