PT111 G2 Pro Failure to Extract / Eject - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: PT111 G2 Pro Failure to Extract / Eject

Member #
    Liked
    3329 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ktjohnson View Post
    I haven't "technically" cleaned it yet. I shot it straight out the box. 1st 50 rounds of blazer brass was flawless. After that I shot 100 rounds of white box winchester. It was a painful experience. I thought maybe I got a bad box of ammo? It failed to extract on 7 out of 9 mags (multiple times) but I was limp wristing really bad and assumed that was most of the problem. Then I shot 150 more rounds of wbw, bb, and federal and it did the same thing but not near as bad (5-10 times). This last outing I shot another 150 rounds. It failed to extract about 5 times. So with that said, I've never cleaned it with anything. ? Now I know. I'll clean after every range visit.
    Whoops, there it is.

Taurus guns come from Brazil with a very gooey protective oil film--far more gummy than the thin protectant you might find on other guns. It needs to be thoroughly cleaned off and out of the gun before first shots fired. I expect it will catch firing dust and gum up pretty hard.

Yes, clean the guns, lube lightly (don't lube the firing chamber or the striker, though) and try again.
    "Failure requires maximum effort. If you didn't give it 100%, you didn't fail...you quit."
    "When calling for air support, never give them your own coordinates." -- Major Swain US Army
    "You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity" -- Robert A. Heinlein
    "Never frighten a man smaller than you; he'll kill you." -- Robert A. Heinlein
    "Never offend people with style when you can offend them with substance" -- Sam Johnson

Member #
    Liked
    3832 times
    A good cleaning will help. Check for any burrs in the chamber or on the extractor.

I would try a couple boxes of good quality ammo, it may just need a little breaking in.

Good luck and welcome to TA.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
    I haven't "technically" cleaned it yet. I shot it straight out the box. 1st 50 rounds of blazer brass was flawless. After that I shot 100 rounds of white box winchester. It was a painful experience. I thought maybe I got a bad box of ammo? It failed to extract on 7 out of 9 mags (multiple times) but I was limp wristing really bad and assumed that was most of the problem. Then I shot 150 more rounds of wbw, bb, and federal and it did the same thing but not near as bad (5-10 times). This last outing I shot another 150 rounds. It failed to extract about 5 times. So with that said, I've never cleaned it with anything. ? Now I know. I'll clean after every range visit.
    Whoops, there it is.

Taurus guns come from Brazil with a very gooey protective oil film--far more gummy than the thin protectant you might find on other guns. It needs to be thoroughly cleaned off and out of the gun before first shots fired. I expect it will catch firing dust and gum up pretty hard.

Yes, clean the guns, lube lightly (don't lube the firing chamber or the striker, though) and try again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellows1 View Post
    A good cleaning will help. Check for any burrs in the chamber or on the extractor.

I would try a couple boxes of good quality ammo, it may just need a little breaking in.

Good luck and welcome to TA.
    Thanks fellas. Just cleaned and lubed lightly. Fingers crossed that this does the trick. I'll update later this week.
    Nimbly likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    710 times
    What do you recommend to coean with? Right now I'm using frog lube to oil and clean lightly with a oiled rag. And how often do you clean yours? After every trip to the range?
    If you are going to use Frog Lube be sure to clean away all the oil. It's my understanding that Frog Lube and petroleum based oils don't mix.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
    ginelmore and Nimbly like this.
    ”A free people ought to be armed.”
    - George Washington

"No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often. "
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Remember Duane Allman

Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation

PT 738 TCP
    PT 24/7 G2 40
    PT 111 G2
    M66
    M608

Member #
    Liked
    25792 times

AND! you likely just found the problem!
    loose grip, "Limp Wristing" and flinching can also cause incomplete ejection of spent cases.
    loudviking and Nimbly like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Bleh! Mine has never looked like that...but if it did, I'd hose it out with Gun Scrubber (or brake cleaner, as said) and then give it a LIGHT misting of Remoil or your poison of choice...and I also apply a light layer on all those spots, like on the underside of your slide...where contact has rubbed the finish off and you see bare metal. I spray the feed ramp real lightly and then wipe it off, leaving just a haze. When all those minor contact points are happy, the whole gun functions better...and as always, I highly recommend the Lakeline guide and springs upgrade. The OE set are kinda shaky looking, as you pointed out, and apparently do sometimes fail and let the spring go free...that won't happen with the Lakeline set. Best $35 I've spent on a gun....

https://lakelinellc.com/shop/stainless-recoil-assembly-for-taurus-pt111-g2-stainless-finish/

Last edited by jeffco; 04-02-2017 at 10:26 PM.
    Rather die tryin' than just be tryin' not to die....

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    What's up yall?

I have a G2 having issues with the empty casings clearing the slide. So far I've put about 300-400 rounds through it. I've taken it apart several times at home and the range to clean & inspect. I'm definitely not limp wristing and it's happened on multiple brands and both of my mags.

I'm thinking the slide may be too tight? OR something going on w/ my ejector. I checked my casings and see no indentations that would indicate an issue. What do you think it is? I really love everything about this gun except for it's questionable dependability. I'm hoping to get this resolved. Pics attached.

K.T.
    I had a similar problem with a 709...I sent it back with the comment that I thought the barrel had to been reamed deep enough to take the case. They changed the barrel and the problem went away. maybe this helps.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Same problem as you however, I have two PT111s and only one is experiencing regular failures to extract. Having a second identical firearm with similar round count allowed me to compare the components from both. [I wanted to do this because Taurus told me that there would be a, "12-week turn around on a warranty repair." BTW that's way too long and I'd asked them to save us both time and money by just mailing me a replacement extractor, they refused.]

Moving along, note the photo of the two extractors side-by-side. I scraped a brass cartridge across the face of the hooks [to highlight the machined edge of the hooks.] Notice that the hook face on the right-side is half the width of the hook on the left. The brass marks help to illustrate the fact that the extractor hook on the right-side was machined two-thousands thinner than the one on the left. [Poor quality control by Taurus on a very vital component.]

The extraction problem occurs because the extractor hook does not have a precision fit with the cartridge rim, hence the two-thousands gap between the face of the hook and the cartridge rim allows a build-up of carbon in that space. Additionally, when the cartridge fires, instead of a pulling action on the cartridge rim, the extractor hook slams into the rim and slips off the rim once the extracting cartridge comes into contact with the next round in the magazine. [If you load and one round in the magazine at a time you'll notice that those cartridges will extract every time if there is no other problem except for the extractor.]

Name:  PT111 Extractors.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  184.5 KB

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I just like that you were like "yeah, could be me". A lot of times anyone suggests running a finger on the slide or limp wrist and people get all bent out of shape.
    olfarhors likes this.
    "The strongest tactical move is always the one in which you reap the highest gain, at the lowest cost."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links