Voided warranty on new pistol
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree205Likes

Thread: Voided warranty on new pistol

Member #
    Liked
    42 times

Voided warranty on new pistol

I had a warranty issue with a new Taurus. I called cs and explained the issue...how I clean and inspected the pistol...typical troubleshooting. I mentioned that I removed the slide cap to inspect the striker channel for gunk etc. The CS rep said, "Sir, these pistols have a lifetime warranty. However, by removing the slide cap (for cleaning and inspecting) you voided your warranty". I now have to pay a $35 bench fee. After a long discussion, since the pistol was purchased less than 90 days ago, they will initially pay for shipping there. Has anyone ever heard of this? I reviewed by warranty paperwork and see no such exclusion. If I am way off base, I'd like to know.
    Last edited by jeff_Opp; 01-05-2014 at 01:11 AM. Reason: edited because I came off like a DB
    HFultzjr likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    20281 times
    Yes I have. The owners manual of virtually every pistol that I've owned states that doing anything more then field stripping the gun will void the manufacturer warranty.

Member #
    Liked
    15446 times
    A lot of whine going around lately. Anyone got some cheese?
    Scalpel, gasbag and Lmstncwby like this.
    I don't always open carry, but when I do I prefer DeSantis.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5863 times
    Apparently this has been happening lately, even as far as voiding warranties for using TulAmmo because it's not SAMMI rated. However it is CIP rated, and that trumps SAMMI in my opinion for the fact that CIP is required testing while SAMMI is voluntary. The worst part of it all is you're stuck between a rock and a hard place because it's not like buying parts for a 1911, most are on the restricted list.

In a way I can see their point, especially when they end up fixing parts that someone figured they would 'fluff and buff' to get a smoother trigger, or feed certain rounds better, or any number of other user created problems. It's like when I fix computers and someone says to me "I did this and this and this after you left last time, here, fix it for free now because it's not working anymore." I'll fix it for them, but I let them know right off the bat that it's not free. So they can find someone else or take it to Best Buy.
    "I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. Hear it loud, hear it clearly. I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. I know what my country has done, both good and bad. I have a deep appreciation of what this country is and what the American people are capable of. This is not a setback. This is a challenge and believe me, the American people are up to the challenge,...." -Glenn Beck

Member #
    Liked
    33303 times
    Let's give this post some breathing room. I've made an inquiry with Taurus regarding this post and what exactly the policy is. It may take a few days to get an answer so I'd ask that we hold off on speculating what is or isn't policy until we get some direct confirmation from Taurus.

Thanks,

Skiff

There is nothing in life so bad or so awful that it cannot be made infinitely worse by a lawyer.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    20977 times
    I had a PT145 that after less than 500 rounds it refused to go bang, It's striker channel was jammed up with a piece of brass from a cartridge case. Because of the way this pistol operates it is normal for it to leave a gouge in the primer while ejecting a spent round and sometimes a hunk of that will find it's way into hard to find places. Voiding the warranty for a detail cleaning is bad business in my opinion, but then again I will never purchase another striker fired pistol either....

Name:  1GI .jpg
Views: 703
Size:  7.3 KB
    Last edited by gbusmech; 01-04-2014 at 11:38 AM.
    Snakeytoo and RichO like this.
    "Guns are a lot like parachutes ~ If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

The problems we face today are there because the people
    who work for a living are out numbered by the people that vote for a living

"No man who refuses to bear arms can give sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" Teddy Roosevelt

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Member #
    Liked
    2820 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSkiff View Post
    Let's give this post some breathing room. I've made an inquiry with Taurus regarding this post and what exactly the policy is. It may take a few days to get an answer so I'd ask that we hold off on speculating what is or isn't policy until we get some direct confirmation from Taurus.

Thanks,

Skiff
    You sir make a lot of sense.
    I am the nicest guy on earth, Just ask me.
    Sand Lake 2014, 2015
    Wisconsin 2014, 2015, 2017
    Rapid City 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
    Non Illigitimus Carborundum

9. 01-02-2014, 05:17 PM

Member #
    Liked
    1181 times

Thanks,

Skiff
    Thank you for contacting Taurus on this issue. In the mean time, I will use Gun Scrubber Synthetic Safe to clean the firing channel w/o removing the striker assembly.
    91 whiskey, Texheim and MilProGuy like this.

Member #
    Liked
    42 times
    I would imagine that most Taurus owners have inspected/cleaned the striker channel. When you purchase a new pistol does no one inspects the striker channel? After 1000 rounds and it needs cleaning, you send it back to Taurus? I think most board members probably inspect and clean and in their mind still have a warranty. It didn't even cross my mind, obviously, to not mention it. However, I'm certain that's how other more knowledgeable members get around the issue. Having no problem like this with my other pistols, I can say I was ignorant to slide cap slide cap removal voiding the warranty issue.

I'm sorry that this looks like whining (Queribundus) to other members. It's really not. Perhaps I inarticulately expressed my frustration.

Carry On...
    cws_dallas, ACE35, Magic and 3 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    41780 times

Thanks,

Skiff
    Was reading and said to self "self, I hope some one from Taurus sees this because I've never seen a thread like this before.."

Enter BigSkiff, very well done. Eagerly awaiting reply.
    MilProGuy and silverblackman like this.

"Always carry a knife with you. Just in Case there's cheesecake or you need to stab someone in the throat."
    "Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in command."
    Friends don't let friends buy Keltecs...
    Molon Labe
    I live in a purple house, you got a problem with that?
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes."

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links