Ed Brown drop-in Maxi-Well issue
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times

Ed Brown drop-in Maxi-Well issue

after a few months of not giving my PT1911 any love, I decided to get her something special. I ended up deciding on an Ed Brown drop-in Maxi-Well and a pretty new pair of Raasco grips. (which are still on their way) I ordered the maxi well from Brownells on Wednesday and just got them today. (it wasn't schedueled to get here until Monday) As, I'm sure, most of you will understand, once i saw that box everything else that I was doing came to a skreeching halt. It really was a "drop-in", no fitting required. Once I finished up I was cycling it and checking all the safeties just to make sure everything was in working order. Then I slipped in an empty stock Taurus magazine but it felt a little off so i started plaing with it and realized the magazine wasn't locking into the well. After some closer inspection I have come to the conclusion that the thick base plate is keeping the magazine from fully inserting that extra millimeter with the Maxi-Well on. I was going to try to file down the base plates a little but was wondering if anyone else has had this issue or if anyone has any better idea?
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f**k with me, I'll kill you all."
    —Gen. James Mattis

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Had the same problem with my Wilson combat well. The base plates in taurus mags are externally held on. Fileing them down to fit could weaken the sides and break off over time. I fitted the mag well to fit the mags. My MecGar mags are also external base plates and I was gonna file all my mags down.

Member #
    Liked
    344 times
    The only magwell that will work with the Taurus magazines is made by Smith & Alexander main spring housing combination they are offered with an arched or flat mainspring housing, and are also offered in a slim profile or wide profile, the one in the picture is a flat slim profile, but offers the most in well size over the Ed Brown or Wilson Combat models.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun
    Wise is a man that learns from his mistakes but wiser is a man that learns from others mistake [ Fotune Cookie ]

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    131 times
    I have used Wilson Magwells on my Taurus but I used the one that goes around the grip screws. No problem. I have a SS Taurus and when I bought it it had a Blued Magwell on it. I wanted a SS magwell and bought one off eBay that was a no name and polished it up. It was also one that was held on by the grip bushings and grip works well. Stock mags no problem, thats all the mags I use are the stock one's.

Aim Small, Miss Small.

Member #
    Liked
    20002 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jstanfield103 View Post
    I have used Wilson Magwells on my Taurus but I used the one that goes around the grip screws. No problem. I have a SS Taurus and when I bought it it had a Blued Magwell on it. I wanted a SS magwell and bought one off eBay that was a no name and polished it up. It was also one that was held on by the grip bushings and grip works well. Stock mags no problem, thats all the mags I use are the stock one's.

Looks great, But may I ask how you went about removing the "Big Taurus Billboard" from the slide?

Member #
    Liked
    131 times
    I used a big knife stone to get it off. I did not mind the Taurus on the slide but when I looked down the slide it was wavy (not even close to being a straight slide ) It took several hours with the stone and then several more hours of sanding and polishing. I bet I have close to 20 hours of hand work into that slide alone.
    I will not use the back strap magwell combo again. I have used two of the magwells held on by the grip bushings and 1 of the rear strap magwell combo for my RIA compact that was suppose to fit a compact and it was way to long. I bought it for twice as much as the other magwells and it was not even close or near as nice. I will have to order another for my RIA compact.
    Last edited by jstanfield103; 10-14-2012 at 02:25 PM.
    Aim Small, Miss Small.

Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jstanfield103 View Post

Wow, nice work. All of that hard work definitely shows. I wish I had the patience to do something like that.
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f**k with me, I'll kill you all."
    —Gen. James Mattis

Member #
    Liked
    131 times
    Thanks guy's Tactical you might just be as well off with the magwell that is held in by the grips and bushing's, plus the are a lot cheaper.
    Aim Small, Miss Small.

Sponsored Links