Explanation of 1911 magazine types - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Explanation of 1911 magazine types

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    8623 times
    Super info I just wish I knew what your saying and in layman's terms fix my problem. I've been around 1911 all my life but I just have not been exposed to a good gunsmith that can explain things to me. Lucky I do have a good gunsmith that takes care of my guns but I would love to spend a week or two just watching and learning how to make my favorite gun go bang every time. Thanks for the info as when I do get the chance to be with him I will understand it better.
    When I moved to the south I just didn't bring my things . By the grace of GOD he brought my soul!!"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

PT 1911,pt 24/7 45 C DS, M-85

Member #
    Liked
    344 times

1911 Magazine Analysis Picture laden

For those of us that need a Little help understanding the issues with the 1911 magazine with some illustrations these articles are laden with pictures.

1911 Magazine Analysis

1911 Magazine Analysis: Feeding Time

1911 Magazine Analysis Part 2

1911 Magazine Analysis: Following Up
    Last edited by cuban; 04-30-2012 at 04:30 PM.
    Sawfish likes this.
    Wise is a man that learns from his mistakes but wiser is a man that learns from others mistake [ Fotune Cookie ]

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    All I can say is Thank You !! I learned a lot from your explanations and really appreciate it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I find that the operator has as much to do with the proper feeding of ammo as the magazine... In 40yrs of using M1911A1's, mostly in the military, I had very few malfunctions due to feeding problems with magazines... those I had were usually operator malfunctions... failure to properly insert the mag, or charge the weapon, pulling the slide all the way to the rear. A few failures to feed occurred because of dirty/damaged rounds loaded in the dark... etc. I am curious as to the problems I read regarding the failure of certain mags to feed in the Taurus PT1911; is there something uniquely different about the Taurus that makes it picky, or unable to accept 'standard' M1911 mags? My experience with Colts, Remington's and Ithaca's and military issue mags... indicated no problems at all. Are there certain brands by name that we should avoid using in the Taurus? And, can we use 10 round mac-gar mags without any failures to feed? I will await your response as I would like to purchase some 10 rd mags... to use in the PT1911... once, I get it functioning properly.
    Last edited by usar4me; 02-11-2013 at 11:46 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    344 times
    Probably the reason that you never had a problem with you Army issued 1911 is because those magazines had tapered feed lips and ran only hard ball ammo, the only manufacture that I'm aware of that makes a tapered lip mag is Check Mate Industries they incorporated the best of both feed lip desgn and came up with what has now been dubed the Hybrid lip magazine, as far as 10 rounder I,m not sure if they make one, but I understand that the Tripp magazines are also very good and they might make them in a 10 round configuration, Good Luck

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun
    Wise is a man that learns from his mistakes but wiser is a man that learns from others mistake [ Fotune Cookie ]

Member #
    Liked
    11227 times
    I have been running GI mags in my PT-1911 for several years now without any issues and run my Taurus mags on a custom 1911 because it has a magwell. I have never had a FTF with my Taurus mags, even after both mags cracked at the backside of the feed lips (quickly replaced with a phone call to Taurus CS) and they have fed ball, HP and SWC without an issue. I have found that many SWC issues in 1911s are due to the ammo, not the mag. If you reload and have problems, seat the bullet a little further out so the lead shoulder hits the feed ramp before the brass. My 200 grain LSWC have an OAL of 1.245".

Check Mate (aka CMI) makes the mags for Colt (and a lot of other manufacturers too), they offer for sale mags with WC, Hybrid, and GI feed lips. If you are looking for new 1911 mags, I would start with CMI's with Hybrid feed lips. You can get them in flush bottom 7 round, plastic base pad 8 round and 10 round magazines. They are generally considered the best mags built and are endorsed by 1911Tuner over on M1911.org which is very high praise IMO.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    I’ve been shooting 1911’s for about 45 years. I’m telling you, magazines are the single most elusive part of the puzzle. Bullet profiles affect them. Different guns affect them. It’s almost like black magic.

Find a magazine that works and buy as many as you can afford.

For me, I’ve had the best, most reliable performance out of “Shooting Star”. Lately “Wilson Combat” is working well.

VR,
    Harold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Smokewagon likes this.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    35592 times
    Shooting Stars work great in my PT1911. And they aren’t bank breakers either.
    whitewookie357 likes this.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links