Empty Brass Sticks in Clean Hot Chamber
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Empty Brass Sticks in Clean Hot Chamber

Member #
    Liked
    35631 times

Empty Brass Sticks in Clean Hot Chamber

My PT 1911 has over 10K rounds through her. A few years ago she started to develop an issue where she would have spent brass stick in the chamber. Only after she was hot. All factory loads from incredibly cheap to expensive seemed to have the issue. And when I say they stick, they need a good tap from a dowel or pried out. They've killed a couple of extractors, it's definitely not an extractor or ejector issue.

I've cleaned and polished the chamber with a variety of tools and cleaning solutions, the chamber is cleaner than a high tech manufacturing clean room and dryer than death valley!

I took the same ammo from the same boxes and shot it through other 1911's I have with zero issues. I'm sure it is the chamber not an ammo issue. Maybe she's finally out of spec... who knows.

Then I put her aside for a couple years... Now I have a bit of time on my hands and out she came again.

I don't want to send her into Taurus because I'd want the same exact firearm back, with only a new barrel. And since she's a 1911 there are so many options out there it's not worth it.

Unless one of yall has something to fix it that is cheap and will only take 5 minutes, I'm going to buy a new barrel.

Which leads me to my question: What are your favorite PT 1911 barrel replacements? Do any fit better than the others (Drop in being drop in ish in most 1911 situations )? She's not now nor has she ever been a match weapon and I don't want to put too much into her. Something comparable to what she came with or that would normally be found in a sub $600 brand new 1911 would be perfect.
    silverstring and 777Driver like this.
    "Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem" (I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery) Thomas Jefferson in a letter to James Madison

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

"If everyone is thinking alike then someone isn't thinking!" General Patton

"If we waited for Washington to tell us when to plant, we should soon want bread." Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    8560 times
    I think you're looking at it from the wrong end- of the cartridge case.

Check the extractor and it's tension. That's probably the culprit.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Member #
    Liked
    12480 times
    Well if you have tried new extractors ( when you put in the new extractor did you test the tension? ). Then I might lean towards an out of profile barrel, possible locking lugs wear. Which could mean both barrel and slide may be involved in this issue. Barrel not at correct angle or not locked up tight enough, causing extractor slip. Barrel chamber worn causing the round to not be in correct position at extraction time, sometimes the round will try and extract at an angle causing it to jam in chamber. This issue will probably require someone familiar with 1911 timing to zero in on the issue. Another possibility, but not likely is you need to replace the recoil spring , to correct slide timing. Those are a few things off top of my head. Sorry it is being a bad boy.
    1. Properly tuned extractor
    2. worn barrel chamber
    3. worn locking lugs
    4. recoil spring

with so many possibilities you may wish to have a smith look at it, either locally or the Taurus black hole.
    jtg452, olfarhors and Taurus1965 like this.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    35631 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    I think you're looking at it from the wrong end- of the cartridge case.

Check the extractor and it's tension. That's probably the culprit.
    I have, that was one of my first thoughts. I've had a couple extractors now and I have both tuned them myself and had a good 1911 smith do it as well.
    "Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem" (I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery) Thomas Jefferson in a letter to James Madison

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

"If we waited for Washington to tell us when to plant, we should soon want bread." Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    28445 times
    MY advice/suggestion is what JTG said, try tuning the extractor that is in the weapon first.
    and take a close look at the profile and tip of the extractor to make sure all is good there as well.
    extractors depending on the hardening process can be to soft, to hard or JUST RIGHT, and they do wear over time.
    MY new Pt1911 in 38 Thuuper had to go back to the black Hole of the Mothership (9 weeks) for a soft extractor right out of the box, tuned it twice for the problem you mention, it worked for a few rounds then began FTE, replaced the extractor and now thousands of rounds later it still runs 100%.
    TexasAviator and jtg452 like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    35631 times
    Quote Originally Posted by silverstring View Post
    Well if you have tried new extractors ( when you put in the new extractor did you test the tension? ). Then I might lean towards an out of profile barrel, possible locking lugs wear. Which could mean both barrel and slide may be involved in this issue. Barrel not at correct angle or not locked up tight enough, causing extractor slip. Barrel chamber worn causing the round to not be in correct position at extraction time, sometimes the round will try and extract at an angle causing it to jam in chamber. This issue will probably require someone familiar with 1911 timing to zero in on the issue. Another possibility, but not likely is you need to replace the recoil spring , to correct slide timing. Those are a few things off top of my head. Sorry it is being a bad boy.
    1. Properly tuned extractor
    2. worn barrel chamber
    3. worn locking lugs
    4. recoil spring

with so many possibilities you may wish to have a smith look at it, either locally or the Taurus black hole.
    I have both tested the extractor myself and had a smith take a look. I didn't have him look at the barrel since at the time I figured it was just me messing up the extractor tuning. Visually she looks fine, but I never measured tolerances since she looked fine to the mark one eye ball. I'll have to check on that, thanks.

Since it only happens after she is hot, I'm leaning to your number two. I probably looked more stupid than normal, but I was curious if heat was really part of the problem. So I shot her until the brass stuck then I put her in a cooler for a bit and then re shot her. She shot great when cool, then same thing happened when she got hot. At least it is a repeatable issue

I'll probably be taking her to a smith from this point.
    silverstring likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    20631 times
    Do you by chance have another barrel to drop in it? I know they usually need to be fitted but if I could put my hands on another barrel to try with I would do that.
    TexasAviator likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    7095 times
    You can buy a new barrel from Sarco for about $50 or $60.

Don
    TexasAviator likes this.
    Are we the only country dumb enough to start a second civil war because we are offended by the first one?

Member #
    Liked
    8560 times
    Metal expands slightly under heat. It shouldn't be sticking only when hot. If anything, the chamber would be larger, not smaller. Larger should make it easier for the round to come out, not harder.

I'm still thinking that your issue is at the other end of the cartridge.
    TexasAviator likes this.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Member #
    Liked
    36734 times
    I was thinking of using a go gauge... a go gauge is machined to the maximum dimensions allowed by SAAMI. If your barrel accepts the go gauge, the problem lies elsewhere.
    Problem is a good go gauge costs about 1/2 what your cheap barrel is going to cost.
    TexasAviator likes this.
    Keeper of The Pledge

GCS d? s+: a+++ C++ UL++++ P+ L++ E W++ N++ o+ K- w
    O M-- V-- PS+++ PE++ Y++ PGP++ t 5++ X- R+ tv+ b++++ DI++++ D+
    G-- e+++ h---- r+++ y+++ PL++++

∀xx ∃xy | xx∇xy > 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links