For those of you that purchased a used 1911 - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: For those of you that purchased a used 1911

Member #
    Liked
    28247 times
    Quote Originally Posted by terryb View Post
    I've got the RIA 1911A2 also. mine is the ultra model and a real sweet gun. I managed to find one without the front rail and now see that they no longer make it without the rail. BUT the 10mm does come without it. sheesh, so they have that style of frame but decided not to assemble it in .45 version.
    ahhhhhemm!--yes they do, and they perform pretty darned good too!
    I think for what you get it may very well be a best buy in a 1911--this one was 575 --plus tax of course!
    everything you see (including the VZ grips) came on the gun except I switched out the red fiber optic front sight for a lime green one.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    28247 times
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBryson View Post
    If I have to fit, file, and stone, then perhaps a 1911 isn't for me.
    I'm no gunsmith and my friend that helps me with my Sig when it's over my head is an hour away (one way).
    Perhaps I'd be better off with something that has 100% drop in parts.
    Sucks, because when I was looking at a 1911 at the LGS, they let me test fire it and it felt natural in my hand and I was able to shoot it fairly accurately.
    well lets remember now !
    THIS IS A 100 Year old plus design.
    think back about how cars, houses etc were made 100 years ago.
    the problems usually occur IF/when people start wanting to change a factory weapon or they have need for a repair.
    if want something to paly around with and use drop in parts then you are a Died in the WOOL AR 15 guy!
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.

Member #
    Liked
    28247 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post
    So buy one you like and stick with it as is!

The only thing I've needed to do to the 1911 I've had longest is change a recoil spring. They didn't get to be the US Army standard for decades because they weren't reliable. The stuff that requires fitting, filing, and stoning is the optional stuff. Everyone should have a 1911.
    ahh yep!
    I have done a variety of things to my different 1911 , from nothing at all, to simply smoothing up a few places to make them better, to changing out some things that needed to be changed cause they did not function.
    I tell everybody pretty much what Ghjost said--buy what you want!
    first its cheaper than buying a bottom line 1911 and trying to add parts, second the gun has a warranty and third in the long run you will probally like it better than the budget priced G I Model--unless you want a G I model.
    with likely some 45-50 manufactures of 1911 and 1911 "almost" you should be able to find what you want.
    and as a caution that I normally give members here who talk about how well the 1911 fits and shoots in their hands let me just say in closing--STAY AWAY from a CZ, especially a metal framed CZ.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    28247 times
    I like the gun or I wouldn't have bought it. I was planning to use it for CC. I'm used to carrying steel guns for CC (Sig P6, P220, P226, P229, P239). I've got a really nice SOB leather holster for it that hasn't been used yet. I've already purchased an extra 3 magazines.
    I'm going to put a couple of hundred rounds to see how it and the mags function, after that maybe 50 rounds every few months.
    And yes, some of the posts are discouraging me.
    well honestly now, you asked for opinions and there are a few members here, most have opinions?
    but it would seem that your idea is logical and I do believe that a few members said exactly that?

oso
    Member #
    Liked
    1864 times
    If one went with EGW, would it be the same deal with leaving out the firing pin plunger and spring?
    I thought 1911 parts were interchangeable?
    Yes any brand other than Taurus would than become a series 70, still very safe, you still have a grip safety, thumb safety and most important the safety between your ears. I wouldn't worry about the extractor many last a long time, I have a extractor that is 2 years old in a pistol I built and has 24,000 rds. through it. So if you like the pistol buy it, most don't shoot enough rds. wear guns and parts out.
    olfarhors likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    42 times
    OK, say I ordered 10 extractors from Taurus for my particular gun. Would all 10 need fitting?
    What if I wanted to get night sights? Any brand work without filing or stoning?
    I'm not trying to be a smarta$$, I just really want to know.
    Last edited by OldManBryson; 06-01-2020 at 03:26 AM.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    45531 times
    OK, say I ordered 10 extractors from Taurus for my particular gun. Would all 10 need fitting?
    Any part may need fitting. If you order sights that are specified for the PT 1911 from Taurus or any other vendor, they may need a touch (carefully) with a file or stone to fit in the dovetail.

There are many videos on YouTube on checking and tuning a 1911 extractor.

olfarhors and CJS3 like this.
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

Member #
    Liked
    28247 times

ahh?? who knows, I mean you would need to install them, check the operation and see.
    I would bet that yep likely everyone would need to be fit to the gun to be perfect, now to operate?
    likely not. its a matter of being perfect or near so or just working.
    as for sights to each their own but IF/When I install a new set of sights then they get fit--so NO set-screws at all,
    a truly good set of sights listed for a particular weapon in my opinion should be slightly over sized to allow hand fitting.
    oso and william like this.

oso
    Member #
    Liked
    1864 times
    I would just buy a 1911 that has the features you want, night sights, single sided saftey etc... then you don't have to worry about changing parts, it will be cheaper in the long run. Buy a Colt, Springfield etc... that has what you want it will be cheaper than buying a budget 1911 and throwing parts at it.
    william and olfarhors like this.

Member #
    Liked
    42 times
    I wasn't planning on installing any parts unless they broke. Fitting is the issue.
    If a part on one of my Sigs broke, I'd order the appropriate part and install it. No fitting required.
    I'm not trying to build a hot rod, I just want to hopefully have a trouble-free gun.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links