Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Finding a new hammer

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Finding a new hammer

Hey all.

I bought a Taurus PT1911 about two months ago and I love it. I've taken it out to the range several times already and popped it off. I just enjoy this thing. Since lockdown, however, I've gotten bored and decided to personalize it a little more to my liking and modded it (by that, I mean I replaced the hammer spring and the slide spring so they're easier to cock and rack).

My concern is that I do not like the ring hammer. I'm used to the spurred hammers and would really like to find one to pop on and swap it out with. Problem is, I looked all over the place and can't A) find a Taurus model spur hammer to replace my ring hammer with, and B) really find any information to whether or not other manufacturer hammers can be used in place of what I already have in my pistol.

Has anyone changed out their ring hammers for a spurred hammer before? What did you do? Did you go through another manufacturer, or did you find a Taurus one? Any advice?

Member #
    Liked
    28247 times
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Hey all.

I bought a Taurus PT1911 about two months ago and I love it. I've taken it out to the range several times already and popped it off. I just enjoy this thing. Since lockdown, however, I've gotten bored and decided to personalize it a little more to my liking and modded it (by that, I mean I replaced the hammer spring and the slide spring so they're easier to cock and rack).

My concern is that I do not like the ring hammer. I'm used to the spurred hammers and would really like to find one to pop on and swap it out with. Problem is, I looked all over the place and can't A) find a Taurus model spur hammer to replace my ring hammer with, and B) really find any information to whether or not other manufacturer hammers can be used in place of what I already have in my pistol.

Has anyone changed out their ring hammers for a spurred hammer before? What did you do? Did you go through another manufacturer, or did you find a Taurus one? Any advice?
    well First I am fairly sure that Taurus has never produced a PT1911 with a Spur hammer, if that's what you are looking for?
    as for replacing the hammer with an after market unit then my concern would be
    1) are you of the ability to replace the hammer and make adjustments to it for it to be safe and reliable?
    Hammers are typically NOT drop in units as the bottom end (notches) generally require fitting to the sear etc.
    2) I am not sure IF a spur hammer will clear the high Beavertail grip safety, you may not be able to fully cock the hammer for lack of clearance?
    I can't answer this question so maybe one of our 1911 Gurus will be along to help you with that.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    34683 times
    Olafhors' second point is important. If you look at these pictures, you can see how the beavertail safety is dished to give the ring hammer room when cocked.

Name:  pix789990250.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  76.7 KB

Name:  pix057533577.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  152.7 KB

If you replaced the ring hammer with a spur, you'd have to find a trimmed spur hammer or cut it down to something like this:

Name:  116574369_4dda99fd37.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  45.7 KB

That's doable, obviously, but I think you'd have to buy a regular spur hammer and trim it down. Or replace the beavertail along with the hammer. But I've never seen/held a spur hammer beavertail that feels better (to me - obviously your impression matters most on your gun) than a PT1911 beavertail or any beavertail meant for a ring/loop hammer.

If you've never dealt with fire control parts on a 1911, do some research, watch all the videos you can find, and test it thoroughly once you believe you're done. Test the trigger function, and test the function of the thumb safety and grip safety. Thoroughly. You'll need a soft-faced mallet.

Oh, and we'll have to wait for a PT1911 guru to discuss how the Taurus Safety System plays into this. I don't know if that will mean more parts that need to be modified or replaced.

Having said all that, congratulations on a great gun and welcome to the forum!
    olfarhors likes this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

oso
    Member #
    Liked
    1864 times
    Replacing the mainspring and recoil with lighter springs to make it easier to rack the slide will only batter barrel lower lugs and frame unless you shooting reduced power loads. Taurus already uses one of the lightest mainsprings of manufacturers.

Replacing with a spur hammer you will either have to bob the hammer as already pointed out or replace the grip saftey with a G.I. grip saftey. If you replace the hammer you should replace the sear also, once you get to that point you might as well replace the disconnector. When you replace the fire control group there is a very good chance your thumb safety will need replaced to. IMO defeats the purpose of buying a budget 1911, I would buy one that has want you want, unless you bought it as a project pistol to learn how to refit parts.
    Bruntson and olfarhors like this.

Member #
    Liked
    87 times
    I wasn't a fan of the hammer on my PT1911 either. Since mine was purchased as a project anyway, I replaced most of the internals, including the hammer, with parts from Cylinder & Slide, EGW and Wilson Combat. Cylinder & Slide sells a spur hammer, but be aware that the hammer and sear, as well as other components in a 1911 work together and require proper fitting in order to work correctly and most important, safely. Considerable effort was made to ensure that everything was fitted properly in mine. As a side note, Night Hawk Custom sells a unitized drop-in hammer/sear/disconnector for about $300, but it's not a spur hammer either.
    Last edited by Dad1911; 05-25-2020 at 02:43 PM.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33399 times
    If your gun has the Taurus Safety system or whatever they call that, where you can turn the key and lock the gun, then it would be on the hammer and that is probably a whole other kettle of fish. There may have been a stickied thread at some point regarding switching the hammer out, but I can't remember. I'll try to see if I can find it.
    GhostHorse likes this.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    These are a lot of really good points. I never really stopped to consider that some of the components were put in place SPECIFICALLY for safety reasons (like the hammer not being able to clear the beaver tail or the internal components being milled specifically for the PT1911).

I'm still not a fan of the ring hammer, but if it's going to be more hassle to go through and change it out (or could cause my gun to blow up at the range, worst case scenario), then I think I'll just have to get used to it.

Thank you all for your input.

Member #
    Liked
    28247 times
    These are a lot of really good points. I never really stopped to consider that some of the components were put in place SPECIFICALLY for safety reasons (like the hammer not being able to clear the beaver tail or the internal components being milled specifically for the PT1911).

I'm still not a fan of the ring hammer, but if it's going to be more hassle to go through and change it out (or could cause my gun to blow up at the range, worst case scenario), then I think I'll just have to get used to it.

well at least you have an idea of what would be required to do such!
    nd really the likelihood of the gun blowing up is pretty small (almost impossible) what can happen however is to end up with a full automatic 1911, or one that is not at all reliable as to function. and of course a weapon that has such a lousy trigger pull and action that its almost useless as well as being to unsafe to handle / carry it
    . always best to ask if you don't know and we are fortunate to have a few 1911 Gurus here to advise you in the right way.
    Dad1911 and oso like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    87 times

It's not a matter of components being milled specifically for the PT1911, it's that way for all 1911s. Some manufacturer have what they refer to as "drop-in" parts. There are usually compromises in the fit that allows that to happen, much like a one-size-fits-all. That's also why I mentioned the Nighthawk system. The hammer, sear, disconnector and sear spring have all been tuned together as one unit. Well, the spring is separate. It's also $300 too. Also, I'm not sure how well the thumb safety will fit with the new parts, so there's likely to be some tuning there. Your $500 Taurus then becomes an $800 plus Taurus, but still no spur hammer. Not really an easy way to get there.
    olfarhors and oso like this.

Member #
    Liked
    34683 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dad1911 View Post
    Some manufacturer have what they refer to as "drop-in" parts.
    And I wouldn't bank on them being "drop-in" the way a shadetree mechanic parts swapper thinks of it, either. Install them, and then test them thoroughly under safe conditions. And don't be amazed if they need some work despite being called "drop-in."
    william and olfarhors like this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links