Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Just purchased a new (to me) PT1911

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    45468 times
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBryson View Post
    Are the "billboard-less" newer or older than the "billboard" slides?
    I believe it's the later issues that reduced the amount of inscription on the slide. Are you selling your PT1911? I saw a post in Classifieds.
    olfarhors likes this.
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

Member #
    Liked
    42 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    Well, mine's a 2015, and has very little in the way of billboard markings on the slide...
    That's about the way mine looks wit the exception of the grips.
    I think mine was born in 2017.

Member #
    Liked
    42 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Czechbikr View Post
    I believe it's the later issues that reduced the amount of inscription on the slide. Are you selling your PT1911? I saw a post in Classifieds.
    I was seeing if there were possibly anyone wishing to trade their Commander=sized for my Government-sized.
    Czechbikr likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    45468 times
    I was seeing if there were possibly anyone wishing to trade their Commander=sized for my Government-sized.
    I've always had the idea that I wanted an Officer's or Commander frame to go along with the PT1911 SS. Whenever the Tisa, ATI or RIA offerings go on sale I am very interested. I would want it to have an alloy frame however.
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

Member #
    Liked
    28226 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Czechbikr View Post
    I've always had the idea that I wanted an Officer's or Commander frame to go along with the PT1911 SS. Whenever the Tisa, ATI or RIA offerings go on sale I am very interested. I would want it to have an alloy frame however.

well being a 1911 addict, I have several government size, both Alloy frame and steel, a couple three Commanders again both alloy frame and stele, a Officers model in alloy and a defender in steel.
    each design has it plus points and not really a lot of minus, but that smaller frame and lighter frame is nice for carry no doubt, mine are all accurate/reliable enough for carry so it basically boils down to ease of carry for me, the only consideration that I really think about is the reduced capacity of the officer/ defender size.
    the alloy framed commander is likely the best all round choice in my opinion?
    Czechbikr likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    42 times
    Would a RIA M1911-A1CS TACT II give me the same problems as a Llama subcompact as far as feeding issues go?

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    45468 times
    Would a RIA M1911-A1CS TACT II give me the same problems as a Llama subcompact as far as feeding issues go?
    I've never owned a Commander or Officer 1911 but in my reading about them I find that many people say that they are more likely to have feed issues than a GI 5" barrel 1911. The reports center around the shorter distance from the top of the magazine to the feed ramp resulting in a geometry issue in the round being stripped, tilted and slide into the chamber. I'm not a gunsmith or any other kind of 1911 expert, but have read of feeding issues on the compact 1911's.

My thought is that if you want a bedside or range gun you have it in your PT1911. If you feel the need for a compact pistol in 45 ACP like I do, then search for polymer or alloy frame compact firearms. My usual carry gun these days is the S & W Shield Compact in 45 ACP.

RIA is a responsive company and if you felt that you wanted that particular pistol and it didn't feed correctly, then they would stand behind it to make it right.
    OldManBryson likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    28226 times
    Hard to say but I doubt it!
    first LLAma is all over the place on quality and construction of materials, at one point they produced a pretty good firearm, then went through all types of problems and put out some of the crappiest weapons on the market, so luck of the draw what get and when and who produced the weapon..
    the RIA Tac II is a pretty well and weapon with lots of features, I have a 10 MM but I have no idea IF the 45 acp has a feed ramp or the standard browning frame/ chamber feed ramp like on standard 1911.
    the 10 MM is a standard browning /colt type feed ramp but mien runs like a sewing machine on everything pretty much.
    the RIA Tac is a pretty well finished/polished weapon as to internal parts.
    the only real problem child that I have had as far as feeding consistently was a Colt Officer Model back about 1984=85 or so, no one could get that thing reliable, not even Colt.
    MY Para, RiA, commanders , my ATI Defender and my Springfield Armory officer model runs great., and I sue 200 grain SWC as range ammo in the 45.
    MY suggestion IF you want to get away from a 1911 in 45 acp and want reliability then buy yourself a CZ 97B or 97 BD, end of story.
    10 round plus 1 Capacity, tritium sights, either de cocker or thumb safety, da/sa, about he same weight as a Govt 1911.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by olfarhors; 06-29-2020 at 12:06 PM.
    OldManBryson likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    85 times
    I can't comment about any of the RIA compact, commander size or other lightweight models, but I own three government-size RIA Ultra FS models in 9mm, 10mm and .45 Auto that have been flawlessly reliable.
    Czechbikr and OldManBryson like this.

Member #
    Liked
    42 times
    I like the 1911 platform. They fit my hand well and I shoot them well.
    The Government are just a tad too heavy for me.
    Czechbikr likes this.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Sponsored Links