PT1911 .38 Super to 9mm
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    763 times

PT1911 .38 Super to 9mm

Has anyone else considered purchasing a PT1911 in .38 Super and having it converted to shoot 9mm? Rock Island Armory makes a 9mm 1911 and my thoughts were to acquire the needed parts from RIA or to purchase & scavenge a stock RIA 1911. Since Taurus has yet to release a PT1911 in 9mm I thought why not take proactive steps on my end to have one converted. I'll mull it over some more but was curious if anyone else had the same idea? :P
    "You gotta be one of the good guys, son, 'cause there's way too many of the bad." - John Custer to his son Jesse.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Re: PT1911 .38 Super to 9mm

I think that it could be done, but I just don't see the point. You would have to do a lot of tuning to get it to extract properly, so why ruin a perfectly good Super?
    Why aren't there any cheap hobbies?

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    34495 times

That is a thought. Considering it worked well, look at the inexpensive ammo you could use in a 1911 platform. Maybe one day, the 9mm PT1911 will appear. I wonder if it isn't already available in other markets, and just not the US, yet?
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    763 times

Quote Originally Posted by CUForester
    I think that it could be done, but I just don't see the point. You would have to do a lot of tuning to get it to extract properly, so why ruin a perfectly good Super?
    My primary reason is just because I want a PT1911 in the 9mm parabellum chambering although the less expensive 9mm ammo is also a big plus. As far as the extractor issue I've been reading about other .38 Super to 9mm conversions and it seems that it wouldn't be an insurmountable obstacle. Ultimately if I had to pay a 'smith to do the work I would.
    "You gotta be one of the good guys, son, 'cause there's way too many of the bad." - John Custer to his son Jesse.

Member #
    Liked
    763 times

Quote Originally Posted by Smokewagon
    That is a thought. Considering it worked well, look at the inexpensive ammo you could use in a 1911 platform. Maybe one day, the 9mm PT1911 will appear. I wonder if it isn't already available in other markets, and just not the US, yet?
    Definitely a possibility Smoke. If there is a genuine PT1911 9mm out there somewhere, I want it. :P

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

why not just buy the ria and be done with it ?

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    34495 times

Quote Originally Posted by sandman228
    why not just buy the ria and be done with it ?
    Because he wants a Taurus.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

You don't need any RIA parts just purchase a 9mm 1911 barrel from one of the dozens of 1911 parts manufacturers and drop it in. I don't know what ejector problems there would be...I suppose it may eject a little late since it's traveling further back than it would have to since it was designed to clear a .38s case instead of the shorter 9mmL case(about 3 1/2mm shorter) but that won't hurt anybody.

Everything else save for the recoil spring should be the same.

I don't see what extractor issue your referring too. The extractor will be the same either way.

In fact I just checked midway and all the 38super/9mm ejectors there were labeled ".38super/9mm" so I can only assume that both calibers use the same spec ejector.

ALSO in fact I just checked midway again and all the .38super-9mm extractors are labeled the same way so apperantly all that's different in the two caliber setups is the barrel and recoil spring.

Member #
    Liked
    763 times

Seth, thank you very much for the information. When it comes to the 1911 I'm little more than a novice and have only ever owned one. I was reading a few comments online from people who have stated they've done conversions before and a couple mentioned a possible extractor issue, though it may have been more purely speculation on their parts.

I hadn't checked the Taurus website recently but went to it last night and now it lists the PT1911 9mm as available. If that's indeed the case it will save me from having to go the route of acquiring a .38 Super to convert. I think I may still have some parts swapped however, likely the hammer, trigger and perhaps even the barrel and maybe a little engraving on the slide to boot.

Member #
    Liked
    16 times

I have had my PT1911 in .38 super for about 5 months or so and I only have about 200 rounds thru it so far but I do know I really like this round. I dont think I will ever try to convert this to a 9MM. Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links