1911 9mm Commander - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: 1911 9mm Commander

Member #
    Liked
    34111 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors View Post
    OK, so are you saying bullet weight is more important than amount of ammo??
    seems right thinking about it--you know seeing as how the Armies of the world have pretty much gone to those big old Heavy 566 booletts???
    to each their own, make mine more not bigger.
    Lots of people carry five-round revolvers. A 1911 with an 8-round magazine is one shy of twice as many bullets as that. And the bullets are much bigger.

Rifle round effectiveness comes from energy, because the energy deposited exceeds the stretch-and-recover capability of tissue. Handgun rounds don't, not by a long shot. Handgun round effectiveness comes from momentum. Big bullets have lots of momentum. But if you think 5.56 popularity has something to say about handgun choices, well, as you say - to each their own.

No one ever complained about the effectiveness of .45 Colt or .45 ACP. There have been lots of complaints about 9mm, and I don't buy that fancy bullet design solves 9mm's problems.
    Troll likes this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    28083 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post
    Lots of people carry five-round revolvers. A 1911 with an 8-round magazine is one shy of twice as many bullets as that. And the bullets are much bigger.

Rifle round effectiveness comes from energy, because the energy deposited exceeds the stretch-and-recover capability of tissue. Handgun rounds don't, not by a long shot. Handgun round effectiveness comes from momentum. Big bullets have lots of momentum. But if you think 5.56 popularity has something to say about handgun choices, well, as you say - to each their own.

No one ever complained about the effectiveness of .45 Colt or .45 ACP. There have been lots of complaints about 9mm, and I don't buy that fancy bullet design solves 9mm's problems.
    True! and at the present I can not remember ever hearing someone that was involved in a fire fight either military or civilian that said "Man I just had way to much ammunition with me".
    make mine a projectile that expands and has sharp edges over a projectile that's slick and smooth, and IF I can have more of them even the better as far as I am concerned.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    28083 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MOONDAWG View Post
    Ok, you've sold me on most of the points; what about brass availability?

Are you having any problems in that regard?
    well brass is readily available through several companies (star line) IF you want new brass, also more companies are loading factory ammo now.
    I find a few more guys shooting the 38 S and 10 MM now so I get some free pickups at the range.
    In my case I some time back found a guy that was going to get into competition and was going to use the 38S , so he had been stock piling Federal nickle cases for reloading, he then ran upon bad times and sold the pistols and reloading stuff and offered me the once fired brass at a steal.
    I ended up with like 8-900 cases.
    Fiocchi loads factory ammo at a great price and it is brass cased as well.
    I do suggest that this caliber is best if you are a re-loader.
    you can go mild or really wild depending on the weapon and brass selected by the way.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    28083 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NativeTexan View Post
    I had a 1911 in .45 once upon a time. It was for competition. I shot a lot of pins, pepper popper games and such back then and nothing, but nothing clears the pins or grounds the pepper popper like a 200 grain SWC. 9x19 doesn't even come close.

yea likely so, but then again we don't have to many roving bands of multiple Bowling pins attacking people around here.
    I understand the 22 LR does a good job of knocking down birds and squirrels as well , but again we don't encounter many Bad Birds attacking people.

Member #
    Liked
    3835 times
    Quote Originally Posted by garyh View Post
    Really heavy for a carry gun.
    Yes, at least as far as concealed carry goes. That's a lotta gun to cover up.
    Are we there yet?
    USMC 83'-87'
    Indiana CCW, Utah CCW
    NRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    9119 times
    I wanted a 1911 of theirs in 9x19 for some time. I do not have that desire or need now. Too many other Tauri, Rugers, and Springfields that fill the 9x19 itch.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links