Having my PT 1911 9mm changed to 38 Super - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Having my PT 1911 9mm changed to 38 Super

Member #
    Liked
    26841 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacemakr40 View Post
    Lots of different choices here. ramped vs non ramped barrels, blending in with the frame properly, changing mags for 38 super as the rounds are about 3/16" longer, etc.

yep, typically the 38 Super ammo isn't going to work in the 9 MM mags due to what Peace mentions, interestingly though the 9 MM ammo will usually work in the 38 Super mags.
    Most all 9 MM magazines are actually 38 Super mags with spacer at the rear to push them lil sissy 9 MM ammo forward.
    many are not aware that the 38 Auto ( now the 38 Super Plus p) is a fairly old cartridge developed by MR. Browning and the 1911 was his tool to handle that round.
    its hey day was in the 20-30's as a powerful round for law enforcement and hunting, although Colt did stretch its ability o take large game in advertising.
    I been hooked on the round since about 1961 -62 when is hot my First Colt 1911 in 38 Super.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    31058 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors View Post
    !) why would you possibly want such an out dated obsolete caliber as that?
    2) is the Sig barrel ramped?
    and no I have not made that change so can't help you there my friend.
    Yeah, all the fire and fury of 9x19 with half the power of a .45, not to mention the ammo cost of the .454 Casull.

I did used to oooh and aaah over the .38 super when I was a kid reading my Uncle's old "Gun Digests". On paper, it's pretty close to .357 magnum so long as you don't wanna shoot heavy bullets on pigs or such. I think I'd pick it over the .357 Sig, personally, except for carry. 1911s are mostly 40 ounce guns and .357 Sigs are on .40/9mm chassis. Of course, for hunting, why stop there. Move up to 10mm.....or, just do what I do now and pick an appropriate revolver. I'm certainly not allergic to revolvers and they're more accurate in general and totally more powerful.

As to the conversion, I have no clue. Sorry.
    Last edited by NativeTexan; 08-21-2019 at 09:27 AM.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    26841 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Trotline View Post
    IMHO, olfarhors is a close to a 38Super expert on TA, I know his wisdom has helped me along the path to 38 Super enlightenment, and ownership. Instead of buying and fitting a separate 38 Super barrel for use in USPSA, with his guidance, I bought a pair of PT1911s in 38 Super. I had to bide my time on the gun auction sites, but eventually great deals showed up. This can happen for you, as well.

Thank you for the kind words.
    I love the history (although be it mixed) about this very interesting cartridge and its move from 38 Automatic (AKA 38 ACP), to 38 Super to 38 Super plus p.
    its still a very potent and good caliber (especially for the re-loader) just not very popular nor available.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    26841 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NativeTexan View Post
    Yeah, all the fire and fury of 9x19 with half the power of a .45, not to mention the ammo cost of the .454 Casull.

I did used to oooh and aaah over the .38 super when I was a kid reading my Uncle's old "Gun Digests". On paper, it's pretty close to .357 magnum so long as you don't wanna shoot heavy bullets on pigs or such. I think I'd pick it over the .357 Sig, personally.

As to the conversion, I have no clue. Sorry.
    ME too.
    but then again I got some 10 MM if I want to go all power crazy in a slide gun, so the Sig don't have a place in my arsenal.
    the 38 Super handles the heavier, longer projectiles much, much better than the 9 x19, and it can heave them lil buitty 115 grainer pretty darned fast as well.
    with a proper load (still within SAAMi) you can just barely clip the power of the 40 Short and Weak and have more Boolletts in the mags as well.
    I always mention to people that are thinking about it that its a much better option for a Reloader and the only short coming is the brass, everything else is pretty much 9 MM.
    now Aquila and USA both offer loaded brass cased ammo at a great price and there is your reloadable brass!

Member #
    Liked
    22203 times
    Well here's the price list from a shop I've used in the past. I tend to go to expensive gunsmiths though because I've found the less expensive ones to be of indeterminate skill. They might be good, they might not. If a guy screws up the job I don't trust them to fix it. Then I pay for it again.

Briley MFG - Handgun Gunsmithing
    william likes this.
    Definition of clip

1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    31058 times
    Quote Originally Posted by glenwolde View Post
    Well here's the price list from a shop I've used in the past. I tend to go to expensive gunsmiths though because I've found the less expensive ones to be of indeterminate skill. They might be good, they might not. If a guy screws up the job I don't trust them to fix it. Then I pay for it again.

I don't think I'd worry a lot about Briley. They're a big outfit and well known at least in the shotgun world. I'm sure they know what they're doing.

Where did you have to ship it? I think they're located up the road from me about 60 miles east in Katy, Texas. I'd been wanting a O/U shotgun and looked over the Yildz at Academy knowing Briley was contracted to do the warranty work. But, the gun just didn't fit me. So, I went with a CZ Redhead which fits beautifully.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    13534 times
    Quote Originally Posted by glenwolde View Post

Thank You Sir!

This was what I was looking for.

Make America Great Again - Remove all the warning labels!
    I shoot to support my reloading habit
    Only when your house is on fire, will you have too much ammo!
    Psalms 144:1
    Never go into a fight with less ammo than you can carry - W Ward
    Lubbock 15 Sand Lake 15 & 16 Rapid City 15 - 19

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    20873 times
    I have a Friend that has a pair of Lama 1911's in 38 super that he bought back in the 60's. he wanted to know if we could reload for them as he had a shoe box full of brass that we found that most was Berdain primed and too difficult to reload. While playing around with these pistols I thought I might convert one of my 1911's to 38 super. Seems that I have a Springfield Armory Range Officer 1911 in 9mm it was my choice to modify. The 9mm magazines have a filler strip that once removed work well with 38 super so no new mags are needed. I looked for a .38 super barrel to no avail but my Favorite gunsmith said "lets get another factory 9mm barrel and re-chamber it" Perfect! Because this is a big heavy strong 1911 I'm using the reloading specifications from reloading manuals from the 60's and 70's and 125 grain bullets run in the 1500 fps range with good accuracy and no signs of over pressure. not too bad for a Obsolete Caliber.
    olfarhors likes this.
    "Guns are a lot like parachutes ~ If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

The problems we face today are there because the people
    who work for a living are out numbered by the people that vote for a living

"No man who refuses to bear arms can give sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" Teddy Roosevelt

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Member #
    Liked
    26841 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gbusmech View Post
    I have a Friend that has a pair of Lama 1911's in 38 super that he bought back in the 60's. he wanted to know if we could reload for them as he had a shoe box full of brass that we found that most was Berdain primed and too difficult to reload. While playing around with these pistols I thought I might convert one of my 1911's to 38 super. Seems that I have a Springfield Armory Range Officer 1911 in 9mm it was my choice to modify. The 9mm magazines have a filler strip that once removed work well with 38 super so no new mags are needed. I looked for a .38 super barrel to no avail but my Favorite gunsmith said "lets get another factory 9mm barrel and re-chamber it" Perfect! Because this is a big heavy strong 1911 I'm using the reloading specifications from reloading manuals from the 60's and 70's and 125 grain bullets run in the 1500 fps range with good accuracy and no signs of over pressure. not too bad for a Obsolete Caliber.

is the Llama barrels chambered for 38 Super or 38 Super Plus p?
    the designation was changed to help prevent ruptures in older weapons, mostly 38 Automatics, but some of the fringe manufactures can be a problem as well.
    the thing about Llama is quality control and when and who was in charge when the weapons were made, some are good strong pretty well made weapons , some not so much.
    re chambering is the easy way t do it if you can find a smith with a 38 Super reamer, about as hard to find as a 45 GAP box of ammo.
    I have two Tanfoglio (EAA Witness) in 38 super with fully supported ramped barrels and IF I get real playful and load up near the top then they much better handle the added pressure than the regular non ramped 1911 barrels.
    they are safe but they do have a bit of bulge at the base with the 1911, course I don't load that high usually.
    I would really like a Ruger SR1911 Target model with a fully supported barrel in 38 Super and have thought about contacting the specialty shop for a price on making one.
    right now to me the Ruger 1911 is a best buy for what you are getting.
    gbusmech likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    22777 times
    I think it's COOL! I like 38 super!
    olfarhors likes this.
    Spit happens, so make the most of everyday!
    "Never give up. Never surrender." Galaxy Quest, 1999
    Happiness is always Having Enough 22lr ammo!
    Now residing in God's Country - The Black Hills of South Dakota!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links