Fitting a National Match Barrel Bushing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Fitting a National Match Barrel Bushing

Member #
    Liked
    37 times

Fitting a National Match Barrel Bushing

Most of the internals have been replaced by forged parts in my PT1911. I noticed the other day a bit of slop with my barrel in the factory bushing so I ordered a stainless National Match over sized bushing from Brownell's. I've never fit a bushing before, what pitfalls do I need to look out for?
    Tom Vietnam Vet - Jun 66 - Dec 67

Member #
    Liked
    479 times
    I put in a standard size stainless NM bushing. It was a little tight going into the slide the first time, now it's just fine.

oso
    Member #
    Liked
    1489 times
    You will have to fit the O.D. to your slide, I like to fit it tight where I need a bushing wrench to turn it. You will have to fit the I.D. to your barrel, I like .001 clearance and it must be cut at a angle. The barrel when in lockup is not at 90 degrees to breechface. Also the lug on the bushing will have to be fit to the lug cut out in the slide. If done right it will improve accuracy, if not well you learned something. You can call EGW and give them your slide and barrel measurements and they will cut an angle bore bushing for you.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Quote Originally Posted by oso View Post
    You will have to fit the O.D. to your slide, I like to fit it tight where I need a bushing wrench to turn it. You will have to fit the I.D. to your barrel, I like .001 clearance and it must be cut at a angle. The barrel when in lockup is not at 90 degrees to breechface. Also the lug on the bushing will have to be fit to the lug cut out in the slide. If done right it will improve accuracy, if not well you learned something. You can call EGW and give them your slide and barrel measurements and they will cut an angle bore bushing for you.
    Good info. If I screw this one up I'll go with EGW.

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Received the new bushing yesterday. I ordered a National Match over sized. What was sent is an Ed BROWN "Drop in" Fit". I'm getting just a little tired of having to send things back so will work with it.

oso
    Member #
    Liked
    1489 times
    If it is a drop in check size, is there any difference compared to the OEM bushing ? Bushings I always use EGW thick flange gunsmith fit, you can't go wrong with that part. Where did you order the bushing from ? Send it back don't settle for their mistake.

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Turns out it is truly a "drop in" bushing. I didn't have to do any work at all. Barrel is much tighter in this bushing than the OEM. I can't detect any movement at all with the barrel inserted in the bushing like I can with the factory one. Pistol functioned fine at the range with 150 rounds. Accuracy is excellent too.
    olfarhors and CJS3 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    657 times
    sometimes things work out!

Member #
    Liked
    30903 times
    Hmm, this makes me want to order an Ed Brown drop in, but they'd probably send me the oversize they were supposed to send you!

Oh well, glad it worked out for you!
    GaCop103 likes this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post
    Hmm, this makes me want to order an Ed Brown drop in, but they'd probably send me the oversize they were supposed to send you!

Oh well, glad it worked out for you!
    Off topic but, I was stationed in New Mexico 1972 to 1976 at Cannon AFB. I fell in Love with New Mexico and became a resident. I had planned to retire in New Mexico when I returned from a tour of duty in England but the Air Force in it's infinite wisdom sent me to Georgia instead. Ended up retiring here after I had a job lined up with the Police Department. I still miss New Mexico, Lincoln and Carson Nation Forest.
    GhostHorse likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links